Only-Violence Truly-Solves Anything.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Only-Violence Truly-Solves Anything.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 07:37 am
Only-violence truly-solves anything.

Does anybody disagree with this statement?

:devilish:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:21 am
@Violent Meme,
Yeah, anyone who has studied history and/or watched small children play together will disagree with the statement.

Everything

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:28 am
@Violent Meme,
there was an episode of horizon in which they explored violence and proved that everyone has it inbeded in them to commit acts of violence.

so violence, it would seem, is natures awnser

Aedes

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:33 am
@Violent Meme,
I've got a real problem. The rosemary and oregano plants in my wife's herb garden are dry because it hasn't rained in a few days. I have a watering can in the garage, and we've got running water in the tap.

Can you think of a way that I can solve this problem non-violently?

Justin

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:44 am
@Everything,
Everything;73687 wrote:
there was an episode of horizon in which they explored violence and proved that everyone has it inbeded in them to commit acts of violence.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think so. Violence is not at all part of nature. Our separation from divinity and from each other and from our own souls creates a misunderstanding which in turn allows us to perceive things in a way where we see violence as a solution.

Some people seem to believe nature is violent but in reality it's not violent at all. One of the Universal laws of nature is balance and when the thinking of man creates imbalance, nature will always balance itself out.

We are violent because of our own misunderstanding of ourselves and our connection to everything around us. One must travel much further down that rabbit hole to understand all this and very few take those roads less traveled.

Violence breeds violence. There is no such solution at all in violence.

Caroline

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:50 am
@Everything,
Everything;73687 wrote:

Violence is imbedded in us because we need it when the need arises in one situation and only as the last resort and that is self-defence. It cannot be used in any other situation, (not that i can think of), that is why we have prisons and not absolute chaos!

richrf

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 12:13 pm
@Caroline,
Well, if you are using the generally accepted version of violence, I would not agree. But on the other hand I don't think anything is ever solved.

I share more of Heraclitus' viewpoint. That nothing is ever solved, but merely changes into something new from which new problems emerge. And that conflict (not necessarily violence), is inherent in the concept of change.

However, some people enjoy violence, and I just try as best I can to stay away from it.

Rich

jgweed

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@Violent Meme,
The use of the word "solved" seems to imply that there is ONE solution and that all one has to do is to get everyone to adopt it by whatever means necessary including violence and coercion, and that one SHOULD use violence to "truly" solve a problem.

And isn't that motto always intoned by the person who cannot convince Others, but is dogmatically convinced that he is the sole possessor of the TRUE solution?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;73691 wrote:
I've got a real problem. The rosemary and oregano plants in my wife's herb garden are dry because it hasn't rained in a few days. I have a watering can in the garage, and we've got running water in the tap.

Can you think of a way that I can solve this problem non-violently?

Rosemary responds well to extortion I've heard.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:50 pm
@GoshisDead,
You can always try water-boarding, just be careful not to drown the root systems.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:34 pm
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;73631 wrote:
Only-violence truly-solves anything.

Does anybody disagree with this statement?

:devilish:

I don't agree with the only part. But sometimes violence is the only solution. Mabe you really mean that.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm
@Violent Meme,
I don't think violence really solves anything. While it may appear to solve a certain problem, it always seems to bring up problems that are often more serious than the original problem.

Aedes

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:02 pm
@Violent Meme,
I smacked around the oregano. That taught it some respect. It's not thirsty anymore.

Violent Meme

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73852 wrote:
I don't agree with the only part. But sometimes violence is the only solution. Mabe you really mean that.

What I meant was that "talking things out" is a moot point.

Physical force is always-necessitated in matters of importance.

If you really-want to "finish a dispute" then that means physically-beating your opponent into submission.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:34 pm
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;73864 wrote:

If you really-want to "finish a dispute" then that means physically-beating your opponent into submission.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. This would only start more disputes and problems.

Violent Meme

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:50 pm
@Theaetetus,
Do you authentically-believe that people ever "agree to disagree" or are they just holding the other in-contempt after-the-fact?

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:03 pm
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;73872 wrote:
Do you authentically-believe that people ever "agree to disagree" or are they just holding the other in-contempt after-the-fact?

I agree to disagree with people all the times, and my friends and girlfriend do as well, because they disagree with me and I disagree with them on a constant basis. If held each other in contempt after disagreements we all would not be friends. I enjoying the opportunity to argue with them because it keep our friendships more interesting. Not to mention, it helps us grow as individuals by being pushed by others that may see things differently from one another.

What you describe is one of the many strategies a sociopath my use to solve conflicts. Most people realize and learn at a young age that violence is a recipe for loneliness. If they don't karma has an interesting way of working to make them suffer in time by planting seeds for misery.

Violent Meme

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:41 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;73877 wrote:
I agree to disagree with people all the times, and my friends and girlfriend do as well, because they disagree with me and I disagree with them on a constant basis. If held each other in contempt after disagreements we all would not be friends. I enjoying the opportunity to argue with them because it keep our friendships more interesting. Not to mention, it helps us grow as individuals by being pushed by others that may see things differently from one another.

What you describe is one of the many strategies a sociopath my use to solve conflicts. Most people realize and learn at a young age that violence is a recipe for loneliness. If they don't karma has an interesting way of working to make them suffer in time by planting seeds for misery.

Why do I get the feeling your friends and girlfriend hold you in-contempt...?

I know for a fact when somebody argues against me that I plan to win every time. And if they retreat from the argument then they have seceded to my point-of-view. And that point-of-view dominates. But this is yet another form of violence in-itself. Some people just have better perspectives than others, and, I do not think that arguing really-solves any issues, like I said.

If anything, arguing only-delays the inevitable...which is violence.

:shifty:

Caroline

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:31 am
@Violent Meme,
I think in your case VM contempt might arise but people do actually treat each other with respect, it's called getting along, agree to disagree and if contempt is involved which it isnt in my situations then that person has got alot to learn.
Aedes, why not take a chain saw to that disrespectful plant and be done with it, problem solved. Violence rules yey!

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:31 am
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;73892 wrote:
Why do I get the feeling your friends and girlfriend hold you in-contempt...?

I know for a fact when somebody argues against me that I plan to win every time. And if they retreat from the argument then they have seceded to my point-of-view. And that point-of-view dominates. But this is yet another form of violence in-itself. Some people just have better perspectives than others, and, I do not think that arguing really-solves any issues, like I said.

If anything, arguing only-delays the inevitable...which is violence.

:shifty:

note: use of the 2nd person is directed at a hypothetical participant in an argument here.

If someone retreats from an argument there it is not often that they have changed their minds to your point of view. One cannot argue another person out of their opinion, the other person has to change their opinion. Normally when a person leaves an argument it is because they are tired of trying to convince you that they are right because they realize that they cant. Not that your argument is so stellar that they can't find flaw, only that you are are not prepared to listen to the other person's argument because you have come loaded for bear.

Meme:
Like I assume that we will do here, the thread will die, you will likely consider yourself victorious in some way, and everyone else will go about their merry, still believing what they beleived before this devil's advocate OP.

The sad fact of the matter is that most people stop arguing because they think the other person is a fool and don't feel like wasting their time, and the violence of trying to force an argument creates more problems than it could ever solve. The old maxim comes to mind, "you catch more flies with honey"

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Only-Violence Truly-Solves Anything.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:14:13