Are you negative or positive about our existence?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
@glasstrees,
I am neutral -neither too optimistic nor too negative. I'm not an atheist. I believe there is a master designer to the universe ... to what end, exactly, I do not know, and perhaps never can. All I do know is that we human beings have the capacity to create ... music, paintings, buildings ... we also have the capacity to destroy. If there is any noble, worthwhile purpose for us, I venture to state that it is to create, not to destroy. Anything that adds to creation in a positive way, even something not too profound, like a Boz Scaggs song (like 'We're all Alone' --my faourite) provides enough 'positive' influence because of its beauty, that I like the fact that I'm alive to hear it. Whether you're an atheist or one who has faith in this regard, is entirely irrelevant. Anyone can find purpose in life. It's up to the individual. And being someone who believes there is a Divine hand in creation, doesn't mean that I think this force is something that wants to take over us and control us and guide our destinies. We have freedom for a reason. It's to take part in creation and do our part to enhance creation by our contributions, or perhaps, it's just to relax and enjoy a song by Boz Scaggs.

manored

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:08 am
@William,
William;86895 wrote:
Please consider this; when we truly do "hear" something, it goes straight to memory and is embedded there amidst all the negative that exists there that we effort to find "explanation" to "ease" our negative state. In other words it can be concluded that what we truly hear that is positive will "come in handy" as we gather it will evacuate those negatives and ridding memory of them for they are not embedded, though they are "relied" on as they define what we perceive as "meaning" and can be indeed "mean" as it relates to the output we manifest.
But we need the word "hear" for the physical hearing, otherwise we do not have anything to represent that =)

There is also the issue of that people will consider different things positive. What fun would life be if we all agreed? =) [/QUOTE]

William;86895 wrote:

Exactly, IMO, our educational system sucks, big time. You are "required" to PAY ATTENTION, or it will COST you, as if you don't you will be a FAILURE. What a crock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about intimidation, extortion and entrapment of that most beautiful mind you have as they mean to capture it for "society's" best interest giving little regard to what is in the "best interest" of the individual that is complimentary to what is embedded in memory that is positive for them. We are force to listen to crap we are not comfortable with. But we have to if we are to "make money" in the chaotic world our so called "scholars" created. Humph!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed, it should be oriented towards what the person actually wants to learn, rather than force it to learn everthing in order to discover what it wants to learn, what is kinda stupid =)

The enforcement of viewpoints is also really anoying. I have to be false in order to pass certain tests =)

Shostakovich;86935 wrote:
I am neutral -neither too optimistic nor too negative. I'm not an atheist. I believe there is a master designer to the universe ... to what end, exactly, I do not know, and perhaps never can. All I do know is that we human beings have the capacity to create ... music, paintings, buildings ... we also have the capacity to destroy. If there is any noble, worthwhile purpose for us, I venture to state that it is to create, not to destroy.
But destruction is a form of both art and creation =)

Shostakovich phil

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:35 pm
@manored,
Destruction in certain instances can lead to creation ... as when a forest burns down, by natural causes, and the minerals undergo some kind of dynamic change that gives life to a new forest; and there are other ways ... I'm just speaking about our individual innate drives to either destroy or create. If I decide to use a gun to blow someone's head off for the few dollars in their pocket, I'd say that's a pretty obvious destruction ... but if I use my acrylics on a canvass and produce another non-representational painting, I'd say that's more on the creative side.

I like posters to give concrete examples of what they mean, so that above is my concrete example of what I mean.

manored

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:27 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Exploding buildings is fun, their collapsing is beautiful, and, if they have outlived their usefullness, getting rid of then gives space and material for new ones.

I think construction and destruction are too alike for one to be better than the other, I prefer to think the intention is what matters =)

Belial phil

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:08 pm
@manored,
I am neutral about our existence.
I believe their to be no objective reason for our existence, I believe it all to be subjective.
However, this makes me want to be more optimistic. If life is what we make of it, why not make the most of it?
I do have my fare share of negativity, though.
I think I'm neutral leaning towards positive.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:24:28