When did you realize you were and adult?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:22 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;65175 wrote:

I am very much unsure of the merits of the sort of life successful adults are expected to live. I wouldn't trust the adults in my suburb as far as I could throw them. Everyone in the 'adult world' seems to be expected to be driven to 'succeed' in the least fulfilling manner imaginable.
I dont recommend trying to be an "successful adult", as the current concept of success in life doesnt seens to have much to do with happiness Smile Most people dont seen to really stop to think about why they are pursuing what they are pursuing.

Fido

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 07:54 pm
@manored,
Zetetic...Youth was a town I could not wait to get away from, but then I found that adulthood was every bit as much a prison...I have too many desires and not enough life...Too many interests and not enough time...Like Michael told the dog... You can never get enough sugar...

Krumple

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 08:21 pm
@manored,
I think it's going to be tomorrow, yeah definitely tomorrow, I can't wait...

Leonard

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:24 pm
@manored,
I was about 13 when I realized how imperceptive and oblivious everyone was. 13 is also an important milestone in our family. Not as much as Jewish traditions emphasize on the day, but we all become a little wiser at 13. I never looked my age as a kid, I was a weakling up until about 14 or 15. I looked younger but felt older than I really was, and it was a problem for me. I realised that nobody cares about the subtle things in life, everyone takes things for granted, and that children are all just a sniveling bunch of morons. It was also around 11-13 where I developed an interest in philosophy, but only around 13 that I found out that what I enjoyed was called philosophy. I don't believe that was the time I became an adult, but I jumped into adolescence fairly early. I still don't feel like an adult, and teachers have told me to dumb down my works and oral reports. It irks me that the masses of adults in the world act as guileless or immature as children. And children are wastes of air in the long run. They are pestering little parasites, almost worse than insects. Most of them have the same personality traits and interests. And by 11th grade, most look the same too. I have hated how as a child I had to grovel at adults less mature than me, and demean myself. Once I found my first job, there were one or two people who thought the same. They wanted to become vandals, because minors are looked down upon, and I said that vandalism is the opiate of adolescents. Only two teachers have ever acknowledged that I wasn't a child, and I often joked with them about how dumb some of these kids are. However I still don't feel like an adult, and still don't look like one.

manored

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:35 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;83061 wrote:
I was about 13 when I realized how imperceptive and oblivious everyone was. 13 is also an important milestone in our family. Not as much as Jewish traditions emphasize on the day, but we all become a little wiser at 13. I never looked my age as a kid, I was a weakling up until about 14 or 15. I looked younger but felt older than I really was, and it was a problem for me. I realised that nobody cares about the subtle things in life, everyone takes things for granted, and that children are all just a sniveling bunch of morons. It was also around 11-13 where I developed an interest in philosophy, but only around 13 that I found out that what I enjoyed was called philosophy. I don't believe that was the time I became an adult, but I jumped into adolescence fairly early. I still don't feel like an adult, and teachers have told me to dumb down my works and oral reports. It irks me that the masses of adults in the world act as guileless or immature as children. And children are wastes of air in the long run. They are pestering little parasites, almost worse than insects. Most of them have the same personality traits and interests. And by 11th grade, most look the same too. I have hated how as a child I had to grovel at adults less mature than me, and demean myself. Once I found my first job, there were one or two people who thought the same. They wanted to become vandals, because minors are looked down upon, and I said that vandalism is the opiate of adolescents. Only two teachers have ever acknowledged that I wasn't a child, and I often joked with them about how dumb some of these kids are. However I still don't feel like an adult, and still don't look like one.
I tried a bit to realize why you see things like this but found no possibility that doesnt involves "you got a negativistic view of life". So, cheer up =)

The idea is, no matter what you do, even if you manage to raise a few children to hold an interest for philosopy, the world wont change anytime soon. (anytime soon as in within our lives) So you have to learn to be happy surrounded by people you consider stupid, sadly =)

Leonard

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
@manored,
Actually, I'm fine with not being an adult, as long as I get recognition for being mature about things. Where I grew up the adults were as bad as the kids, and all the kids try to be cool with their street slang and vandalizing parks, and disobeying curfew. I'm waiting for the day that i'll realise i'm an adult, but sometimes I just feel too much like a kid, lol. You've gotta experience West Minneapolis to understand, but hehe the people are nowhere near as bad as the climate, or the politicians.

urangutan

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:52 pm
@manored,
I am a ripe old age of nearly forty-three. My facial hair will not pass a stuble, my voice ain't broke yet and if you are wondering whether my gonads have dropped, I can inform you I am a proud father, for the last five plus years.

I had a mid-life crisis at nineteen, twentyish, where the world seemed more intertwined than one would care to notice. People can be more than one and so on. The same girl I met at school could be no different in six other people that I had met, their personalities somewhat identical, their aura could almost interchange and one girl who I had met through her brother, could approach me as though she had already known who I was. The characteristics of personality and individuality, spread amongst the girls, who at this time were all adults, being that they were now all over the age of eighteen.

I believe that the group of women, shared a bond that would path their lives and in that three of the seven I had encountered, during my early teenage years, seemed to already have been endowed with their quota of, (lets just call it aura), I believe I can vouch that women mature into adulthood earlier than men as they can grasp the concept of sharing. To the point, accepted the valise that forms them. Of men I will say that missing out is not an option.

To us what is adulthood as opposed to adolesence. I can recollect being me at five years old, I know the feelings I could conjure, I know the limit of my talents, why then as we do now strive to develop or gain or is it command more. I have relenquished the possibilty of reaching adulthood and remain uncircumsized in the field of growing boys, young and aging men. Not to aquire more for myself but that is where we belong. It is what helps us live the lives we do to enrich our families survival.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:19:27