A Money Monopoly Creates Monopoly Money

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:57 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
If they fell, they would need to be replaced, and there lies their strongest pilar: replaced for what?

That pillar can only be counted off if the change is slow.

That is the stumbling block.... And it should not be... All people have some idea of what they want from government...All people like some part of the constitution...Usually people blame some other people for what fails us in the constitution, because they are taught that the constitution is perfect...It is not... Since people build forms all the time, we should not even trouble ourselves with what to replace the failed forms of the present with... Instead, tear down the patched up frankenstein we are dealling with so we can see what we have to work with....From my experience, people usually tear down the old junk first and cart it of to the scrap yard and land fill... When the area is clear, the course is too...Dig a new foundation, and build a new form and carve a note into the fascade: This is meant to be of use, and is not intended for eternity... Building for eternity is always the first mistake...Not admitting that the form no longer works is the second mistake...Get beyond all that from the start...

manored

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:31 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Its not something simple like a building, it has to be replaced fast and with efficiency otherwise the society collapses.

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:05 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Its not something simple like a building, it has to be replaced fast and with efficiency otherwise the society collapses.

Don't look now but the old form is falling apart as we watch... Sure, I give a lot of thought to what a new constitution might look like, and everyone should.... The thing is, that ideal and my thoughts do not count much... We have a great preamble in our constitution, and we know from the words of Aristotle that Governments are made for good... When we compare our preamble and the words of Aristotle with our reality, we can see how short we are of our goal... But the stated goals may no longer be the real goal of our government... What then; because the same thing is likely to result from any new constitution, that a promise of good might result in bad down the line.... What I am saying is that we must first face the fact that the old form has failed us, and the natural conservatism of mankind must be put aside and then a new form created...It is easier to do when the old form exists, and easier to see when the old form has been swept away..... At a minimum, we need to sweep the old form out of our minds before we can no longer exist with the form in reality so we can see our task laid out clearly..

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:44 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
The property rights which are the cause of the results we see before us, they cannot question; but those rights are a house of cards... If we quit believing in them they will fall...It is just that simple...

Property rights are going to exist regardless.

Property deals with the way people organize themselves around the scarce natural resources that people find value in. As long as there are conflict (conflict can be peaceful) over natural resources, there will be property rights.

If you are referring to particular property rights, could you please explain which ones you refer to? I find it extremely common on this thread to rail against government corruption, unfair legislation, and the rich influencing government to fulfill their needs, and then an immediate jump to blaming capital or property rights for the problems.

Perhaps it is not the concept of property that is the problem, but the violence of the state, after all, it is the common factor.

Quote:

Maybe we owe it to future generations or justice to bear the burden of a collapsing society.

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Property rights are going to exist regardless.

Property deals with the way people organize themselves around the scarce natural resources that people find value in. As long as there are conflict (conflict can be peaceful) over natural resources, there will be property rights.

Ya property is a form, as you say, of organization, but as with all forms, property is a form of relationship.... Even slavery where one man is the property of another is a form of relationship... What you should remember is that these rights have always been in flux, even to the latest moment... Just because we are used to them having some stability in time does not mean they really do... And, as with all forms of relationship, it has to serve the people on the relationship, or it weakens the relationship... So the question for us should be: Is it worth it for us to have all private property in the hands of a small class even if it weakens the whole society...
Quote:

If you are referring to particular property rights, could you please explain which ones you refer to? I find it extremely common on this thread to rail against government corruption, unfair legislation, and the rich influencing government to fulfill their needs, and then an immediate jump to blaming capital or property rights for the problems.

Perhaps it is not the concept of property that is the problem, but the violence of the state, after all, it is the common factor.

I would say that the most destructive part of property rights is the thought that it can be held in perpetuity, and can be passed as an estate to another generation...Though much of humanity has rejected the idea of hereditary government, we allow hereditary wealth when that amounts to the same thing, of a single class which is not necessarily the best class, Aristocratic, controlling the reins of government... You see, what makes a person desire wealth is not so often wellness as obscession.... Their children might be ambitious or or lazy, intelligent, or dull... Yet, for them to have the best educations, the children of the poor must be denied....If education is the key to advancement, and you are advanced; why would you want wide spread quality education??? So, to keep the rich rich, and the poor, poor; education is denied to the whole society... Capitalists love to talk about their great advances... What might it be if opportunity were general, if each generation has to excell or fail on its own merits??? Why is education so expensive???Isn't every educatated person a blessing for society, and every ignorant one a curse??? The rich deny to all the education they merit, and break people with credit for an education because they want people graduated as slaves, unable to refuse any task, and willing to accept any wage... When property rights are conceived as absolute, so that those owning property do not feel the need to support society with it, as well as themselves, then why should society which defends all property rights defend a right that does not benefit them... In fact, it is the government that stands behind every title, as the first owner, since we took this land from king and native... But there is nothing absolute about property rights...In private hands the support of the property, like the access to it is denied to other people...Why should they not benefit since it is theirs, because this is a common wealth, and because they say what the law is, and because, as in the time of Jesus, man is not made for the law, but the law for man... Property is for our common support... What a person pays to purchace it buys an obligation to society, that it will be used for the improvement of all people in the society....This was the argument for closing the commons which denied to great numbers their rights to property; because another could use it better and more efficiently with the expectation that the whole of society would benefit...Where is the benefit to making public property private???

Quote:

Maybe we owe it to future generations or justice to bear the burden of a collapsing society.

Please... Do not be retarded... Societies fail, and take good people with them... Let's not let that happen to us.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:17 am
@Fido,
Fido,

First, I view this fundamentally different than you do. Instead of seeing all of this as a concerted effort by the rich to maintain their own position, I see all of this as emergent properties of a system of governing rules and trends.

With that said, some other smaller issues:

I think it is disingenuous to talk about education as purposeful stratification on the part of the rich. After all, the government sets education standards and prices through the public education system just as it sets standards and prices through financial markets. It is also government offering of ultra-cheap loans that entice heavy borrowing and exorbitant prices.

I also have issues with the inheritance. But at what point do you tell someone that they can no longer use their money to the benefit of their child?

You say: "What a person pays to purchace it buys an obligation to society, that it will be used for the improvement of all people in the society." This is horribly convoluted no matter what viewpoint you have. Payment satisfies the obligation. After all, who would pay for something shared by all? You either eliminate the concept of "pay" or "purchase" or get rid of the concept of "share".

Quote:
This was the argument for closing the commons which denied to great numbers their rights to property; because another could use it better and more efficiently with the expectation that the whole of society would benefit...Where is the benefit to making public property private???

It seems you have answered your own question.

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:32 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Emergent properties of a system of governing rules and trends ?... If you are trying to baffle me with bushit, please consider that I am pretty much immune...If it does not make sense to you, complicating it will not make it easier to handle...

So where is the great good of once public property now in private hands... Oil companies want unrestricted drilling on the sea coast... Some say they already own all kinds of leases they are not using... So, leases must be too cheap if people can afford to sit on them... In fact, the lease gives the advantage of ownership without the need to pay taxes on it... The situation maintains that the government is allowed to own anything the rich finds useless, or already has too much to use... The government simply holds property until the rich want it... Let me give you an example of what this leads to... The last time the government ever paid of a deficit was under Jackson; and he simply seized a bunch of indian land and sold it... Since then, the process has been for the government to be denied taxes so it will run deficites, which means the wealthy loaning the government money at interest, until the government must sell what is ours to the rich to pay down the debt... Does that sound fair???

Consider sir that property taxes once supported the government, and this drove down the price of property and raised the price of labor...With most of the taxes now born on the back of labor, property was allowed to be held for speculation, which allowed an emmense bubble to grow in realestate... Yet it limited the money supply for labor so that working people had to make profit and taxes to have wages....This made money dear, so that to own property one had to pay three times the value of a property that would not have been worth a third if it had been taxed...Instead of taxing the property held for speculation the government support the outrageous interests by making housing interest a deductable expense...This denied revenue to the government, which, again had to borrow.....So; tell me if you can...With labor paying the taxes, what increase of rights did they receive??? Not one... The government supports property rights, but property does not support the government so the result is an inequality of rights leading to an inequality of wealth...

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:13 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Emergent properties of a system of governing rules and trends ?... If you are trying to baffle me with bushit, please consider that I am pretty much immune...If it does not make sense to you, complicating it will not make it easier to handle...

Emergence is not bullshit. It is a core principle of many varied fields.

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Emergence is not bullshit. It is a core principle of many varied fields.

I can list the well know societies that have been destroyed because wealth got into the hands of a few, and this divided the society better than any wall or river could have... Most societies could not break free from this situation even while they watched it destroy them... Socrates demeaned the poor... Nietzsche demeaned the poor...Neither sought to explain how a vibrant people had come and conquered but were then divided into noble and worthy as opposed to poor and ignoble... A form of economy called feudalism, where interestingly enough, no one could be said to own the land since all had rights in it- was responsible for the division of one common German people into serfs and lords... This is not a natural division...If we look today and see no feudal societies excepting the Catholic Church, it is because the division caused a fatal weakness in the face of a united bourgeoisie who used the working class as an army... Yet their secret weapon was credit, which was paid by the serfs until they bled, and when the bankers had the lords by the balls they simply changed property relations so that what was inalienable, meaning common the property of lords and serfs, was made alienable and sold off from under the peasants... Cool hey??? They have taught a great lesson...It is that property as a form of relationship can evolve, or be changed outright... There is no absolute right of property... The right is what the people say it is...

And, yes, I have heard the term emergance used before, but i never though it was a good substitute for English...Consider, if you will, how often language can be used to miscommunicate, as well as communicate..

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:18 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I can list the well know societies that have been destroyed because wealth got into the hands of a few, and this divided the society better than any wall or river could have... Most societies could not break free from this situation even while they watched it destroy them... Socrates demeaned the poor... Nietzsche demeaned the poor...Neither sought to explain how a vibrant people had come and conquered but were then divided into noble and worthy as opposed to poor and ignoble... A form of economy called feudalism, where interestingly enough, no one could be said to own the land since all had rights in it- was responsible for the division of one common German people into serfs and lords... This is not a natural division...If we look today and see no feudal societies excepting the Catholic Church, it is because the division caused a fatal weakness in the face of a united bourgeoisie who used the working class as an army... Yet their secret weapon was credit, which was paid by the serfs until they bled, and when the bankers had the lords by the balls they simply changed property relations so that what was inalienable, meaning common the property of lords and serfs, was made alienable and sold off from under the peasants... Cool hey??? They have taught a great lesson...It is that property as a form of relationship can evolve, or be changed outright... There is no absolute right of property... The right is what the people say it is...

I agree. Whats your point?

Quote:
And, yes, I have heard the term emergance used before, but i never though it was a good substitute for English...Consider, if you will, how often language can be used to miscommunicate, as well as communicate..
I use emergence to state that the massive wealth gap and other socioeconomic traits are not the grand scheme of some Illuminati, but rather a spontaneous ordering of a system of individuals operating under basic rules of rational behavior and violently imposed law.

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
My point is that there are other ways, established ways of talking about the problem...

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:57 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
My point is that there are other ways, established ways of talking about the problem...

It is not a spontaneous ordering of a system, but a re-ordering of a system by people operating under their own rules... There is nothing new about this... It happened in Greece, and in Rome... It is no coincidence that both the colonies and the roundheads were both seeking a restoration of the English constitution.... People very often develop a conception of the individual, -themselves as better than the rest of society, and deserving of the support of society... So they use the form which should be for everyones benefit for their own benefit... When it quits working for other people it really quits working for them, to, but they may not know it because they have it all: the good life, easy money...Seriously, one ancient Arab historian traced the progress of many civiliations from invasion to bloated corruption... The inability of people to see their forms from the inside wrecks their ability to correct their own behavior...It is for this reason societies must some day be reformed if they will survive at all... Look at the Declaration of Independence... What does Jefferson say of forms???

manored

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:27 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Don't look now but the old form is falling apart as we watch... Sure, I give a lot of thought to what a new constitution might look like, and everyone should.... The thing is, that ideal and my thoughts do not count much... We have a great preamble in our constitution, and we know from the words of Aristotle that Governments are made for good... When we compare our preamble and the words of Aristotle with our reality, we can see how short we are of our goal... But the stated goals may no longer be the real goal of our government... What then; because the same thing is likely to result from any new constitution, that a promise of good might result in bad down the line.... What I am saying is that we must first face the fact that the old form has failed us, and the natural conservatism of mankind must be put aside and then a new form created...It is easier to do when the old form exists, and easier to see when the old form has been swept away..... At a minimum, we need to sweep the old form out of our minds before we can no longer exist with the form in reality so we can see our task laid out clearly..
I agree

Maybe there will be no future generations or even less justice if society collapses Smile

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:55 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
I agree

Maybe there will be no future generations or even less justice if society collapses Smile

As long as there is a humanity there will be some justice, since we only conceive of it because humanity has not figured out how to live without it...It is not a physical reality, but a moral reality... But then, as a form of relationship, it is something people work out for themselves... Societies may defend or not defend justice collectively; but individuals give it to each other regardless...I'll give you an example...I have done some jobs for the chinese guy who owns the restaraunt down the street... I don't let him pay me because I don't need the money, and I like him and consider him a friend... But every time I go in he does not let me pay...I stopped in the other night, and at closing time he gave me a bunch of soup and a box to go... When I returned the tins, -I forgot he also gave me a box of sweet rolls and a tin full of sweet sour pork... So I threw ten dollars in under the soup pan... Why??? He gives me justice, and I try to give him justice...I like his food, and since I count him a friend, I don't want it for free... If I don't want to let him give me food, I hurt his pride, and he hurts my pride if he does not let me pay, so again, Justice...It is something people work out...I guess I should just give up and wait till he hands me a bill...

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:24 am
@Fido,
Fido,

Economists and sociologists have been point to spontaneous ordering of social and economic institutions for 200 years.

All Jefferson mentions of forms is that government should take the form that is the least destructive to natural desired rights of man. I can't imagine he was using a rigorous philosophical meaning of the term however. He simply was using common language.

Fido

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:17 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Jefferson was using the word: Form- absolutly correctly in the philosophical sense of the word... All of us use the word correctly... Uniform, in form, formality... We all use the word correctly; we just do not give it the thought it deserves... We change our forms all the time, but do not usually realize we have that power in our lives...Look, all about you are forms... Sometimes we construct our reality out of them..Some times we only represent our reality with forms... When Shopenhaur said: The world is my idea; what he might as well have said is that we cannot make sense of the world until we can classify what we see as this, and not that... We think we see the world, and we miss all that we cannot form a notion of...Well, once we have an idea of good as something that can be achieved by a form of social organization called government, then we can construct according to our form...But what do we hope to achieve with our forms??? Why are forms, that is made form, and not natural forms, Why are they made so resistant to change???Since people have never been without forms, I would suggest they are looking for stability....They have a very utilitarian purpose, but human history has also been the history of changed forms...We cannot change what we are... We can change or forms of understanding and our other forms of relationship...

Fido

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Fido,

Economists and sociologists have been point to spontaneous ordering of social and economic institutions for 200 years.

All Jefferson mentions of forms is that government should take the form that is the least destructive to natural desired rights of man. I can't imagine he was using a rigorous philosophical meaning of the term however. He simply was using common language.

Econimists and sociologists have been misunderstanding much of human behavior for hundreds of years.... Morgan as an anthropologist writing way over a hundred years ago recognized that social forms of organization changed with technology...It takes relatively more wealth to support kings and armies for example, which explains why primitives are democratic...Their technology was exhausted by survival; or perhaps, social organization that would provide for the greatest defense and the surest survival of the mostest was their technology....It is for that reason that every bit of ancient lore has people concerned primarily with honor... Honor launched a thousand ship to troy... Achilles withheld his arms for honor... Look at Beowolf, look at Cuchelain... Look at that blood bath Wagner made his legend of.... That was their economy... What did Shakespear say: He who steals my purse steals trash... If government and survival depended upon a rude leveling of every person, then people needed something to distinguish man from man, noble from ignoble...It just happened to be those qualities that would hold all men in high esteem: courage, impulsiveness, skill, pride, in a word, honor...If we use money today as our economy, and if we have to count dollars in the bank to tell who is great and who is not, then we are all the lesser for it...We are not different...Our forms are different...Because essential change is beyond people...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:57:17