Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:33 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Not sure you'de be able to fill the role. :poke-eye:
Well i could only try.....

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@Icon,
Make it to Austin Texas and we will see if the girls approve. We'll work it similar to a Heinlein style Lunar social dictum in which the women will decide. Just be careful, women carry guns here. Back to topic, I think I will simply deny myself the pleasure with the understanding that it is for the best. At least for this period of time.

xris

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Make it to Austin Texas and we will see if the girls approve. We'll work it similar to a Heinlein style Lunar social dictum in which the women will decide. Just be careful, women carry guns here. Back to topic, I think I will simply deny myself the pleasure with the understanding that it is for the best. At least for this period of time.
Texas do i have to wear chaps...sorry bit to far..they will never know what paradise is..

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Texas do i have to wear chaps...sorry bit to far..they will never know what paradise is..

You would be surprised to know that we do not ride horses to work, we do not carry six shooters (we've upgraded to semi automatics) and Austin is quite the bohemian paradise. Besides, everyone knows that size counts and EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas. Wink

xris

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:57 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
You would be surprised to know that we do not ride horses to work, we do not carry six shooters (we've upgraded to semi automatics) and Austin is quite the bohemian paradise. Besides, everyone knows that size counts and EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas. Wink
Well little ol me has to be inventive..it encourages imagination...dont leave it too long..if you leave it you loose it...

Deftil

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:02 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;35474 wrote:
I too smoke, and share the concerns many of you have expressed.

My problem is, if I'm really honest about it, that I don't want to want to stop. I want to continue. Knowing that it'll likely cause a slow, painful, choking death - for whatever reason - hasn't deterred me. Perhaps I'm being self-destructive, maybe I'm "living for the moment, the future be damned". Most likely it's a combination of these things.

I just wish I wanted to stop; more than i do. It's an expensive habit (and in that way alone, one I can ill afford).

Good luck to those endeavoring to quit; hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon.

What he said. I wish I wanted to stop, b/c I know it's expensive and bad for me, but I still want to smoke.

I've quit a couple of times in the past, and it was always pretty much cold turkey. I was even sometimes around others that smoked. I was able to do it because I REALLY wanted to stop smoking, and I had completely made up my mind. I took pride in becoming a non-smoker and felt like I was making a statement every time I resisted the urge to smoke.

But I would say that if cold turkey doesn't work, to not even consider a smoking cessation aid would be foolishly stubborn. For me, the point is to STOP SMOKING, not to prove how strong I am and how much control over my willpower I have. If something is proven to be quite safe and effective in helping to quit smoking, I think to not even consider using it to be stubborn to your own detriment.

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@Icon,
The hard part was deciding I wanted to quit. Go for a good 5 or 6 KM jog. You'll want to quit.

I am foolishly stubborn and remarkably resilient. This is why I am still alive.

Deftil

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@Icon,
Icon;35570 wrote:
The hard part was deciding I wanted to quit. Go for a good 5 or 6 KM jog. You'll want to quit.

No, I'll just want to stop jogging and smoke a cigarette. I know smoking is bad, but I enjoy it too much to fully commit to quitting. I'm actually on a drug that has a common side effect of making you not want to smoke. It's not having that effect on me though.

Quote:
I am foolishly stubborn and remarkably resilient. This is why I am still alive.

Possibly, but it might someday be why you're dead. I think you have to know when to be stubborn, and when to give in. There's a time for both. I think refusing to consider trying a safe and effective aid over the very short term when it could help you reach your long term, life changing goal is taking stubborness a bit far.

At any rate, you have to live the life that you think is most fulfilling for you. I can't tell you with certainty what general attitude will work for you, only what I've seen work for me and most others around me, and give the best advice I can based on that. (That's in general, not in regard to quitting smoking.)

But I wish you all the best in your endeavor to quit smoking. Since you're so stubborn, would it help if I told you that I thought there was no way in the world that you could quit?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:39 pm
@Deftil,
Pumpkin seeds helped me more than gum. Just eat 'em shell and all. The salt will slightly raise your blood pressure which mimics the effect of nicotine (at least it did for me).

Also, if you're a coffee drinker, quit. Drink GALLONS of orange juice to help flush your system.

Good luck.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@TickTockMan,
If you need to flush your system, I'd recommend cranberry juice, or even cranberry supplements.

Aedes

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:51 pm
@Icon,
What are you guys talking about...

I must have skipped the "flushing your system" section in med school.

Thomas, cranberries (and lingenberries) are studied for urinary tract infections, chiefly because an unknown compound in them interferes with bacterial adhesion to the bladder and acts as an immunomodulator. This is not "flushing the system", though, its studied indication is very narrow.

And orange juice? Hard to believe people still believe this stuff that Linus Pauling was trying to convince everyone about vitamin C...

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:53 pm
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:
No, I'll just want to stop jogging and smoke a cigarette. I know smoking is bad, but I enjoy it too much to fully commit to quitting. I'm actually on a drug that has a common side effect of making you not want to smoke. It's not having that effect on me though.

Possibly, but it might someday be why you're dead. I think you have to know when to be stubborn, and when to give in. There's a time for both. I think refusing to consider trying a safe and effective aid over the very short term when it could help you reach your long term, life changing goal is taking stubborness a bit far.

But I wish you all the best in your endeavor to quit smoking. Since you're so stubborn, would it help if I told you that I thought there was no way in the world that you could quit?

It probably would help. Here is the way I see it: Being stubborn has gotten me into a lot of trouble, gotten me shot, stabbed, beaten and burned. But it has also saved my life on more than one occassion. So I'll stick with has kept me alive.

TickTockMan wrote:
Pumpkin seeds helped me more than gum. Just eat 'em shell and all. The salt will slightly raise your blood pressure which mimics the effect of nicotine (at least it did for me).

Also, if you're a coffee drinker, quit. Drink GALLONS of orange juice to help flush your system.

Good luck.

No coffe, soda, candy, baked treats, fast food. Just smokes.

Pangloss

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;35596 wrote:

I must have skipped the "flushing your system" section in med school.

How about chugging milk of magnesia for a "flush"? :bigsmile:

Quote:
And orange juice? Hard to believe people still believe this stuff that Linus Pauling was trying to convince everyone about vitamin C...

Seems that high doses of vitamin C can give you diarrhea...again, does that qualify as a system flush? :perplexed:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:01 pm
@Icon,
Cranberries is an old smoker's remedy for urine tests. Works better than just water. Niacin is the other substance used for this purpose, but that can be uncomfortable if you take too much.

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:05 pm
@Icon,
So far, the best solution I have found for the habit is actually playing an instrument and exercise.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:15 pm
@Icon,
Those activities can certainly help - especially exercise. Really, anything to occupy yourself so that you can better ignore the urge to smoke is going to help you quit smoking. If such activities are productive, like playing an instrument or exercise, that's even better.

nadahana

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 05:35 pm
@Icon,
Hi there,
I've been a smoker my self for almost 20 years and quit cold Turkey.
It will take many times before you will succeed, I quit 5 times before you quit for good.

Once you have no problem standing out with smokers and have no urge to smoke, you will know that you have made it

It's all in your head, smoking will turn your lungs to charcoal, one day you will not be able to breath and you will not enjoy life like I do !!

Smokers know smoking is bad for them but, continue to smoke !!

Good luck.

Justin

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 07:28 pm
@nadahana,
OK, I've opened up:

Quit Smoking Support Group and Forum

Please if any of you would like to join the group, don't hesitate. I'll update the forum.

lakeshoredrive

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:25 pm
@Icon,
Try eating things with silicon and tyrosine in them.
For silicon, eat lots of nuts and seeds.
For tyrosine, eat anything high in vitamin C.

It should help curb your craving. Good luck quitting cigarettes, if you haven't already.

JLP

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:07 pm
@Icon,
I smoked for the better part of eight years, and quit cold turkey nearly a year ago.

My advice is that:

(1) you should be absolutely certain that you wish to quit and that this motivation stems entirely from self-interest before attempting;
(2) don't drink alcohol for a few weeks after cessation, as it only intensifies the urge (changing other associated routines/habits might also help); and
(3) don't walk the precipice of pride. You might think that, after six months of not smoking, you can handle a little "celebration" cigar or a harmless clove. Perhaps you can. More often, that small taste leads down a justification-laden road of return to habitual smoking.

I wish you the best. Quitting is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. If you are determined and disciplined, you will undoubtedly succeed.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:39:55