a challenge

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:00 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
i do not think i would consider myself a philosopher

philosophers care too much of self to say what they are actually thinking to say, by disguising it in an elongated almost poet, hard to initially grasp kind of way

what if we lost the philosopher for one thread and just spoke about what, at that very moment was on your mind. and right...... NOW

whatever you thought, just write. yes that.

I wonder what the bark on trees is made of?

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:26 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Most of the worlds population, at any given moment is living unconsciously. By this, I mean they are trying to make money, trying to fit in, trying to become what they want to be. Worried about money, worried about relationships, worried about worrying. Whats happening next, whats on next, where should we go next, what should I be doing now.

Youd think, given our situation of life, we would contemplate more why we are here, what this life is, what does it mean to live and why are we doing it? Why are we able to think about what life is?

I suppose from these great questions comes science and the discovery of our universe, philosophy and the questions of our existence, religion and the living how we think we should. For these, I commend us.

As for us, here, on this message board. A few who live consciously, at least for a moment, trying to understand, here is my question:

What helps you think about what is? Whether it be a person, place, substance, state or situation?

nameless

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:47 am
@withawhy,
withawhy;30183 wrote:
If you read this, stop everything youre doing, take your hand off your mouse, and put your hands on the keyboard. In the quick reply, write what youre thinking for 1 minute, as silly as it sounds, without proofing or going back and reading.

I don't think it worked, somehow. I sat and watched and waited for 'thought', and waited, and waited, and waited... Not a one came flitting across the sky in all that time.
Odd, though, when i'm not particularly watching, they seem to pass by a mile a minute!
Watching one's thoughts come and go is an excellent '(pre-)meditational' exercise.

Khethil

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:39 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Do you ever talk philosophy while looking directly into the pupil of a human physically in front of you? if so, with who?

Yea... well, not so much these days. My wife's very tolerant of my babbling, and she gets into *some* philosophy, but not much. She's far too "grounded" for that Smile

But I've had a good number of friends with whom I've engaged in face-to-face philosophical talk; and I've gotta tell you, it's fantastic. There's something very bonding, very "intimate" about being able to flesh out these kinds of issues with a real human right in front of you. Doing like this, on the forum, is needed and very beneficial. But there's an ineffable quality to physical-presence philosophy that frames the experience, and enhances the interaction so much more naturally.

Thanks

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:57 am
@withawhy,
I am thinking about whether I have hands or not. To test my suspicion that I may have hands I am going to poke someone else in the eye. And this process will be repeated until enough people have sore eyes to confirm the suspicion that humans in fact have hands.

withawhy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:24 am
@withawhy,
Well, here's something. You are controlling an animal. You, the one reading this in your mind. Your body, the thing youve been blessed and cursed with, its just an animal. You're in control of it. Pretty cool?

Joe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:38 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Most of the worlds population, at any given moment is living unconsciously. By this, I mean they are trying to make money, trying to fit in, trying to become what they want to be. Worried about money, worried about relationships, worried about worrying. Whats happening next, whats on next, where should we go next, what should I be doing now.

Youd think, given our situation of life, we would contemplate more why we are here, what this life is, what does it mean to live and why are we doing it? Why are we able to think about what life is?

I suppose from these great questions comes science and the discovery of our universe, philosophy and the questions of our existence, religion and the living how we think we should. For these, I commend us.

As for us, here, on this message board. A few who live consciously, at least for a moment, trying to understand, here is my question:

What helps you think about what is? Whether it be a person, place, substance, state or situation?

For the most part i think this way because it fills my selfish need to make sense of it all. But the funny thing is when im in high states of bliss there is no curiosity. And so i question my own worth verse the idea of philosophy...............um yeah. lol

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:19 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Well, here's something. You are controlling an animal. You, the one reading this in your mind. Your body, the thing youve been blessed and cursed with, its just an animal. You're in control of it. Pretty cool?

Yea it is, but...

... I dunno. Not to be a party-pooper here, but I've heard it said over 90% of meaning (in the communicative process) is done so nonverbally. While it's cool that we're communicating here mind-to-mind, we're losing that 90%. I can't see your facial expressions, hear the tenor of your voice or sense your body language. All these are necessary because... well... transferring thought-messages is SooOOoOo problematic: We need all the help we can get!

And... you are an animal, as am I, as is Joe (though perhaps not Nameless <tease>). It's such a deeply-intwined part of our thoughts, our feelings and motivations that to disregard it is (in my humble opinion) foolhearty. I'm not saying this is what you've done here, just grindin my own axe Surprised

Much better face to face, person to person. That physicality, that 'realness' of presense enhances the philosophical process hugely. I miss it - I miss it a lot.

Cheers!

nameless

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:40 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;31313 wrote:
And... you are an animal, as am I, as is Joe (though perhaps not Nameless <tease>).

Grrrrrr!!!
(roars and paws the ground!)
*__-

(I don't capitalize 'nameless' as it is not a name, it is a momentary 'state' of being!)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:52:31