a challenge

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:23 pm
i do not think i would consider myself a philosopher

philosophers care too much of self to say what they are actually thinking to say, by disguising it in an elongated almost poet, hard to initially grasp kind of way

what if we lost the philosopher for one thread and just spoke about what, at that very moment was on your mind. and right...... NOW

whatever you thought, just write. yes that.

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:01 am
@withawhy,
i see curious and ticktiockman have entered. they are taking the challenge

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:03 am
@withawhy,
I'm tired. Why am I sitting up tap-tap-tapping on my keyboard?
I should be reading. I should be sleeping. I have to work tomorrow.

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:05 am
@withawhy,
agreed on all 3. Haha

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:15 am
@withawhy,
Heres a question, if you didnt have to work, if you didnt have to sleep, what would you be doing?

nameless

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:19 am
@withawhy,
Now!, isn't long enough to think anything! The smallest, briefest 'thought' would encompass many trillions of Nows! viewed from a certain linear Perspective...

nameless

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:22 am
@withawhy,
withawhy;30173 wrote:
Heres a question, if you didnt have to work, if you didnt have to sleep, what would you be doing?

I don't, and I don't. Exactly as i am doing, Now!

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:55 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Now!, isn't long enough to think anything! The smallest, briefest 'thought' would encompass many trillions of Nows! viewed from a certain linear Perspective...

If you read this, stop everything youre doing, take your hand off your mouse, and put your hands on the keyboard. In the quick reply, write what youre thinking for 1 minute, as silly as it sounds, without proofing or going back and reading.

Ennui phil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:34 am
@withawhy,
A philosopher can philosophize in divergent modus operandi.

This kind of philosopher can communicate whatever they can,it is their disposition,as long as the philosopher can philosophize,as the norm.

No one can read others' perplexing mind,you don't know what they are doing,but when they show his/her perceptions on letters,papers,Internet,then it can be dissected.

Khethil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:51 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
i do not think i would consider myself a philosopher

I would! "a person who seeks wisdom or enlightenment" [1]

withawhy wrote:
philosophers care too much of self to say what they are actually thinking to say, by disguising it in an elongated almost poet, hard to initially grasp kind of way

Yea some do. But we need to be careful here; often times what we think are someone's motives are just our perception. I too have made the mistake of judging others' by what I think their motives are.

withawhy wrote:
"... what if we lost the philosopher for one thread and just spoke about what, at that very moment was on your mind. and right...... NOW"

This is very nice. I think a lot of us "seekers" do this... heck, I'd say most are! But for those of whom I think you're speaking, here's where I think it's coming from.

There are certain "types of minds" among us who want to understand; who want to understand the 'why' and feel the thrill of reaching out to gain some wisdom and understanding. Even these people; unfortunately, often go through a phase of puffed-up ego as they impress themselves with terms, name-tossing and language (I blogged this whole issue here). These people feel no satisfaction unless they can come away with feeling like they "won" something. This disappoints me, but I believe it to be a necessary part of the growing process that - with time - ultimately ends in a humble mindset, one that accepts the truth of the wiser one who knows, "... you will survive being bested" [2]

Good stuff: Leave pride at the door and just share, never argue just to argue and forget about puerile notions of "winning" a point.

Ya can't lose with honesty. Thanks, nice topic

~~~~~~~~
[1] Definition
[2] "Southern Cross", Crosby, Stills and Nash

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:03 am
@Khethil,
That is an interesting way to think about it. I find when I listen 80% of the time in a conversation I tend to learn much much more than talking 80%. Listening though often consists of "Yeah.."' and "uh huh.." and good eye contact, interested eyes, etc.. all communicating to the speaker that I am interested that they keep continue talking. A conversation in its own right by communicating how well I am listening and understanding. If you take that conversation far enough, you can learn very interesting things.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:07 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;30189 wrote:
I would! "a person who seeks wisdom or enlightenment" [1]

Yea some do. But we need to be careful here; often times what we think are someone's motives are just our perception. I too have made the mistake of judging others' by what I think their motives are.

This is very nice. I think a lot of us "seekers" do this... heck, I'd say most are! But for those of whom I think you're speaking, here's where I think it's coming from.

There are certain "types of minds" among us who want to understand; who want to understand the 'why' and feel the thrill of reaching out to gain some wisdom and understanding. Even these people; unfortunately, often go through a phase of puffed-up ego as they impress themselves with terms, name-tossing and language (I blogged this whole issue here). These people feel no satisfaction unless they can come away with feeling like they "won" something. This disappoints me, but I believe it to be a necessary part of the growing process that - with time - ultimately ends in a humble mindset, one that accepts the truth of the wiser one who knows, "... you will survive being bested" [2]

Good stuff: Leave pride at the door and just share, never argue just to argue and forget about puerile notions of "winning" a point.

Ya can't lose with honesty. Thanks, nice topic

~~~~~~~~
[1] Definition
[2] "Southern Cross", Crosby, Stills and Nash

Auuggghhh! You're philosophizing!

Mmmm. Blueberry muffin. Coffee.

xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:15 pm
@TickTockMan,
are we still playing..im of to the pub in min..prob. get half tiddled do the quiz moan there are too many music questions..do kari bleeding oki after i said i would not..come home and upset the wife...should i go or should i say..i might sing that...

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@withawhy,
do you ever talk philosophy in real life? if so, with who?

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:38 pm
@withawhy,
This isn't real life?

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:38 pm
@withawhy,
Real, probably, high tech, yes, yet a primitive form of communication.

Do you ever talk philosophy while looking directly into the pupil of a human physically in front of you? if so, with who?

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:10 pm
@withawhy,
Well, I've never talked philosophy while looking directly into someone's pupil, but I have talked philosophy while looking in their general direction . . . sometimes at the forehead. I always have to remind myself to blink though. It tends to make people uncomfortable if you just stare directly into their face without blinking.

But I digress. There are only a few people I try to do the philosophy talk with in "real life." One's a buddy I've had for 25-26 years who I used to do a lot of "chemical modification of consciousness" with back in the old days. Most people though just aren't all that interested in talking about the weird crap that roams around in my head. Not that I blame them.

William

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:21 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
That is an interesting way to think about it. I find when I listen 80% of the time in a conversation I tend to learn much much more than talking 80%. Listening though often consists of "Yeah.."' and "uh huh.." and good eye contact, interested eyes, etc.. all communicating to the speaker that I am interested that they keep continue talking. A conversation in its own right by communicating how well I am listening and understanding. If you take that conversation far enough, you can learn very interesting things.

Let me make a suggestion, my friend. The next time take note to what you hear and what goes in one ear and out the other. It will blow your mind. Don't be disappointed if much of it does go in one ear and out the other. It is for a reason. That, that sticks is for a reason and you "will" hear it. Let me know how that goes. Smile

Thanks,

William

paulhanke

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:06 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
what if we lost the philosopher for one thread and just spoke about what, at that very moment was on your mind. and right...... NOW

... I'm not a philosopher ... so how the hell did I end up on a philosophy forum? ... and why do I keep coming back?!

paulhanke

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:07 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
Most people though just aren't all that interested in talking about the weird crap that roams around in my head. Not that I blame them.

... oh - I forgot ... that's why I keep coming back!!!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:04:00