How would our world change if we could communicate with the dead

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How would our world change if we could communicate with the dead

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:53 pm
Just for fun, imagine this scenario:

Three years after the LHC is turned on, we discover new dimensions and are able to collect data from them. One of them, we start receiving data. We are able to decode it by sending data to it. We eventually realize we are communicating with the energy of those who died and entered another dimension.

"Impossible to describe with your words, but it is real and amazing"

How would that change the world?

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:04 pm
@withawhy,
I'm guessing that the world wouldn't change at all, because as a result of a "mysterious fire" the LHC would be shut down and all data would be lost before it reached the public. Can you imagine what this data would do to organized religion?

I tend to lean a bit toward the dark side, so my first thought was what if instead of voices telling us how amazing it was, all we picked up was a bunch of people screaming.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:12 pm
@TickTockMan,
I've seen a movie... which leads me to believe... that the ability to talk to the dead is not a good idea. TickTockMan... you hit the nail right on the head. What if they are screaming?

I saw White Noise... no thanks. no thanks.

withawhy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:54 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
what if instead of voices telling us how amazing it was, all we picked up was a bunch of people screaming.

hahaha :bigsmile:

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;28585 wrote:

I saw White Noise... no thanks. no thanks.

I haven't seen this. Is it worth watching, or is it like most movies of this ilk that I seem helplessly drawn to at the video store that make me wish I had those 90 minutes of my life back? I'm still looking for a refund on Mothman Prophecies. . . .

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:25 pm
@TickTockMan,
Take the valuable time you wasted from watching The Mothman Prophecies, multiply that by infinity, take that to the depth of forever, and you still will barely have a glimpse of what I'm talking about when I say how bad the film really was

White Noise will break your conception of the space/time continuum and the relativity of valuable time. Though the initial draw was there from the one minute commercial that showed basically the best parts... it was inevitably meh. Like the movie When a stranger calls.... hot girl, insane eyebrows... good movie? Not really.

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:34 pm
@withawhy,
If we could communicate with the dead, the world would become even more f***ed up than it already is. Think about how many people obsess over their dead loved ones. Now imagine that they could all talk to the deceased. I would keep going, but I am sure you get the picture. If grandma could actually talk to dead grandpa she would be weirder than she already is.

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:04 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;28591 wrote:
If we could communicate with the dead, the world would become even more f***ed up than it already is. Think about how many people obsess over their dead loved ones. Now imagine that they could all talk to the deceased. I would keep going, but I am sure you get the picture. If grandma could actually talk to dead grandpa she would be weirder than she already is.

Not to mention if people could communicate with their dead pets . . . yikes.

Good money in it though. Witness this reprehensible clown: John Edward - International Psychic Medium - The only official website worldwide.

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:12 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;28589 wrote:
Take the valuable time you wasted from watching The Mothman Prophecies, multiply that by infinity, take that to the depth of forever, and you still will barely have a glimpse of what I'm talking about when I say how bad the film really was

Ha ha! That makes me think of a quote from a movie I still enjoy: "Your suffering will be legendary -- even in Hell." -- Hellraiser

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:23 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
Not to mention if people could communicate with their dead pets . . . yikes.

Good money in it though. Witness this reprehensible clown: John Edward - International Psychic Medium - The only official website worldwide.

I loved that episode of South Park where they debunked John Edward's methods.

Could you imagine an eight year old that becomes way too attached to the goldfish that the cat eats every other week, by the time they would be an adult. The horror.

"You're suffering will be legendary--even in hell" Now that is classic.

Afallucco

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:34 pm
@withawhy,
Well... we would know their is an afterlife...

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:56 am
@Afallucco,
Afallucco;28600 wrote:
Well... we would know their is an afterlife...

Now that's a discouraging thought . . .

jgweed

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:02 am
@withawhy,
We seem to have a difficult enough time communicating with the living, let alone doing so with the dead.

Joe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:12 am
@jgweed,
talking with the dead, I would imagine would cause an addiction for some too only talk to the dead. like if you felt like a total outcast, then talking to the dead would be another outlet for acceptance. maybe.

xris

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:13 pm
@TickTockMan,
could you explain?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:41 pm
@Joe,
Joe;28640 wrote:
talking with the dead, I would imagine would cause an addiction for some too only talk to the dead. like if you felt like a total outcast, then talking to the dead would be another outlet for acceptance. maybe.

That's assuming that the dead have any interest in hearing anything that we could conceivably have to talk about.

I mean, c'mon . . . they're in the afterlife, for Pete's sake. Do you suppose they'd be real excited to spend their time talking to someone with an inferiority complex whining about their lack of acceptance?

Afallucco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:44 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;28666 wrote:
That's assuming that the dead have any interest in hearing anything that we could conceivably have to talk about.

I mean, c'mon . . . they're in the afterlife, for Pete's sake. Do you suppose they'd be real excited to spend their time talking to someone with an inferiority complex whining about their lack of acceptance?

They would if they would like to screw with the person's mind :bigsmile:

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:08 pm
@withawhy,
I wonder how long it'd take for CERN scientists to develop dual-dimension compatability software programs so as to be able to interact with different dimensions.

This'll do no good of course because the dead would want more than to just talk to us. They'd want the whole slice of cake and find a way to make those black holes from the LHC a little more of a dramatic reality. Then we'd all be dead.

IMO, the dead should stay dead, not personifying living qualities; and the alive should stay alive, until their time has come of course.

William

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@withawhy,
You guys watch way too much television.:detective: Ha.

William

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
@William,
Relatively speaking no. And tv is not bad. It gets my brain going because then I have to analyze and think about it and theorize about what if until its 1:00 am at night and I come up with some idea that is to impossible to hard to prove, like a paradox, sort of..... or maybe that's just me getting tired.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How would our world change if we could communicate with the dead
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:34:18