Something happened I can't explain

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Something happened I can't explain

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:43 am
First off, I just signed up for this forum. You guys seem like an insightful, intelligent and open group. The perfect mix for a good discussion. My kind of place! Anyways, here is what happened..

A few months ago I was in the kitchen with my friend. We were talking about robots. Controlling robots with your mind. You know, put a cap on your head and it projects what the robot sees, feels into your brain and you control it with your mind. So pretty much you feel like you are the robot walking around. The conversation lead to the death of that robot vs death of yourself, etc..

The robot death vs human death turned into a conversation about infinite. Robots had a begining, easily traceable. What was our beginning? Evolution, keep going, big bang? Keep going. This then lead to what exactly is this reality that we perceive.

I forget what lead up to this but suddenly I got the strangest feeling. As the conversation continued I felt like I was being watched. It was actually frightening. Like something coming closer, I suddenly had a feeling like I was connected to what was controlling me. Time didnt exist. I wasnt in my body. Everything was pure. Everything was one. Pure love. Pure connection. I snapped out of it, I had an uncontrollable smile on my face. I couldnt help it, whatever just happened was amazing.

This is the weird part. I looked at my friend and he had just snapped out of it too. He had an amazing smile and suprise on it face. We had both just entered and snapped out of this at the same time. I remember him saying "WHAT WAS THAT?? WAS THAT GOD?" (coming from not a religious type person). I had no idea, "I HAVE NO IDEA!" i said, with a huge child like smile. It wasnt just a feeling, it was knowledge, like an untapped consciousness that we found a backdoor to. It was important. It was VERY important. It was amazing. It was the single most important moment in my life thus far. (weird thing to say, I know). And that is not something I would say lightly.

We both were saying the same things, nearly completing each others sentences. Our mindset was the same. Our thoughts were the same. The two underlining themes:

We ARE all One.

Death is actually a good thing. A transition.

At this point we were smiling, laughing, talking fast about what just happened. As we were talking about what the heck just happened, we compared it to the conversation about controlling the robot with your mind, and then as the robot, walking into the room where you are sitting controlling it and to look at yourself controlling it controlling "you".

At that moment, it happened again. Different though. I remember this being like a vibrating light-speed tunnel coming from the right side of my vision and swinging around directly in front of me, looking directly at me. It hit us both at the same time again. It was shocking. It was shorter. Amazing, like a good discovery, but weird. It felt like I just opened the door and was looking directly at what was controlling me, but I was controlling myself by looking at it, but it was controlling me to look at it. Perhaps the endless circle of this is what felt weird. Like realizing infinite. A circle. Pi. Feeling the end to an unending equation. Perhaps "feelings" are more important than the result to a mathematical equation.

The months after this happened ive been researching all major religions, talking with people who had done psychadelics, trying to find truth and just looking in myself. It has been a journey.

Justin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:04 am
@withawhy,
Whoa! Thanks for sharing this experience. You are not alone in this. I believe there are others on this forum who have had similar experiences and it's amazing. Two things you said that resonate with me is that we are ONE and Death is a transition. Since childhood I've understood the same thing and have spent my life searching for answers... thus, the very reason for building this forum.

I highly recommend you read The Man Who Tapped The Secrets of The Universe by Walter Russell. Walter Russell experienced something very similar and was thrust through a wave spectrum of light and likewise the knowledge that you expressed. The knowing of the Oneness and the peace it brings.

Great post and great experience, thank you again for sharing! Welcome to the Philosophy Forum! Smile

withawhy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:07 am
@withawhy,
Very excited to check out that book, thanks!

When you say you've understood these things as a child, did an event happen or was it just an understanding?

Justin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:15 am
@withawhy,
Many events, not quite like that though. I had some experiences as a child that may have been similar though. When I was just a child, my mother recalls me constantly saying... "you humans". I was artistic and quiet alone and would lay awake at night pondering. Music I like and the things I enjoy are not even from my era. It's weird really but I know I've been here before and know I'm on a journey and know unequivocally that God is not the deity that man has created.

Watch this video, maybe there's something you can get from it as Michael Hudak describes a little about Walter Russell. You may also want to watch an interesting interview with Richard Grant who came to us from Australia. William, on this forum also sees things that others do not recognize.

Either way, you've attracted this into your life for a purpose and you've landed here for a purpose... we all have. Good to see you on here friend and we have the journey of a lifetime in front of us.

Khethil

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:10 am
@Justin,
Very nice, thanks for sharing that.

Enlightenment, conceiving the possibilities, peak-experiences, emotional-awareness, satisfaction, sublime peacefulness; these are all precious experiences that leave the mind in awe and are important stepping stones of the heart.

Excellently written. Thanks again

Poseidon

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:36 am
@withawhy,
The abstraction of the 'I',
the transition of ego to Mind,
the superego falls away leaving one exposed to the cosmos:

boagie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:55 am
@Poseidon,
Smile Withawhy,

Its sounds like an experience that has a double whammy, not in the negative sense but in having the experience then must come transformation, it is one thing to understand something intellectually and quite another to live it.

Pangloss

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:03 am
@boagie,
Were you guys under the influence of "psychedelics" at the time, or do you regularly use these substances? Just wondering...it's a valid question.

William

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:23 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:

The months after this happened ive been researching all major religions, talking with people who had done psychadelics, trying to find truth and just looking in myself. It has been a journey.

If you don' mind my friend, would you please explain what you mean by the above statement. That concerns me a bit. And by the way a hearty welcome.

William

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:25 am
@withawhy,
You might also be interested in the brief but great book by A.H. Maslow called Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences. What you described is what Maslow would call a peak experience. At certain moments people experience heightened senses of awareness where clarity meets a sense of unity.

withawhy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:41 pm
@William,
William wrote:
If you don' mind my friend, would you please explain what you mean by the above statement. That concerns me a bit. And by the way a hearty welcome.

William

Certainly, after the experience, I read a bunch of religious books and science books. I felt as though my experience was "truth" and by looking through books I could read things and determine if what was being said was truth or not. This being a very interesting tool while reading something like say the bible, also interesting when reading the latest theories of string theory.

Long story short, i started coming to some conclusions. I know a group of people who lived on a ranch and basically did many drugs. Lots of psychedelics, etc.. Some "new" ones that scientists had just created.

I could certainly tell a numbness in some of them, like they werent "all there", not surprising for the amount of drugs theyd taken. but what I was most interested in is what they believed and thought about this. I would just listen to them and they would go deeply into an almost budist like mentality when talking about souls, etc. There were some interesting things said that made me think. Many people probably would have dismissed a lot of what they said as crazy talk, but I found it insightful. That seems to happen often.

I've got a friend who some people think is kind of dumb. I've found out hes just really slow at getting to the point. Once he does hes insightful and interesting, its pretty amazing actually. he has an incredible ability to read people, a very good quality, if you can find it.

I was not on psychedelic drugs when this experience happened.

Khethil

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:54 am
@withawhy,
A couple of observations on this line...

I have two views on those who use substances to induce such states: 1) I'd readily admit that most of us live a disconnected existence that squelches insight. And for some people, introspective reflection isn't something they've learned. So many folks go around all "puckered"-up, wound SO tight that they simply can't. 2) Chemical-induced states strike me as problematic and very-likely destructive; much like mistaking malfunctioning neurons for spiritual space-flight.

But I have to admit, there could be something worthwhile in this. It's hard for me to get passed my prejudices against substance abuse. Externally induced Altered states of consciousness as a key to insights not otherwise gained?

I'm dubious, but am going to have to toss in the "I Don't Know"-chip on that one.

Thanks

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 07:21 am
@withawhy,
There is a long history of people's that have used substances for spiritual purposes--especially with the native American peoples. Most psychedelics are too intense for people to form dangerous drug habits, so they are only related to drugs of abuse through the drug classification.

I admit that 10 years ago I experimented with psychedelics and I have had friends that succumbed to meth and cocaine. Over my time I learned about the way things are, but my friends on the other hand ended destroying much of their lives. I could have trained myself in meditation and learned how to induce such states myself, but I instead took a short cut to the same place. Is it a dangerous practice? Potentially. But so is walking down the streets of my city at night.

William

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 12:12 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Certainly, after the experience, I read a bunch of religious books and science books. I felt as though my experience was "truth" and by looking through books I could read things and determine if what was being said was truth or not. This being a very interesting tool while reading something like say the bible, also interesting when reading the latest theories of string theory.

Long story short, i started coming to some conclusions. I know a group of people who lived on a ranch and basically did many drugs. Lots of psychedelics, etc.. Some "new" ones that scientists had just created.

I could certainly tell a numbness in some of them, like they werent "all there", not surprising for the amount of drugs theyd taken. but what I was most interested in is what they believed and thought about this. I would just listen to them and they would go deeply into an almost budist like mentality when talking about souls, etc. There were some interesting things said that made me think. Many people probably would have dismissed a lot of what they said as crazy talk, but I found it insightful. That seems to happen often.

I've got a friend who everyonethinks is kind of dumb. I've found out hes just really slow at getting to the point. Once he does hes insightful and interesting. i've learned that he has an incredible ability to read people.

Withawhy,
I guess you could call me one of the lucky ones in that my path in life has steered me away from drug use with the exception of experimenting with marijuana many, many years ago. That's about it. What I do know the "mind" in it's pure state can stimulate the brain to issue forth those natural "chemicals" we are all endowed with that can create "sensations" no imbibed drug can produce. Yet those imbibed drugs can and do "override" those produced by the brain and that is not good.

What fascinates me about you is your desire to try and understand where it came from. That's a good thing because most who are taking drugs realize where their "high" is coming from and such curiosity is rather a moot point. This leads me to believe what you did experience is a natural "rapture of the mind". God got through. For the interest of those other individuals who are reading this post I will elaborate a little on exactly what that means for those who have experienced such a "rapture", if in fact yours was a "drug induced" experience, which you have yet to establish. I hope it wasn't.

The mind in it's natural, unfettered and peaceful state is our link to God. Unfortunately that state, in the reality we have created, can only be temporary as evidenced by our many "states of mind" most of which are not peaceful, unfettered or natural, due to the stress it takes to survive in this world. This is what I call the "noise" of the mind and "God's signal" just cannot get through. Too damn much "static".

We virtually have too much on our minds. Ha. When the mind does attain that "peaceful" state, for whatever reason and God does get through it is as though a "cleansing" has just taken place throughout you whole being and it is common to want to know just where that "sensation" came from. My advice to those who have experienced this is to "just leave it alone". You can't figure it out. Impossible. In short you have just been tapped on the shoulder by God and you are now in good hands, so just don't "worry" about it. Now that is easier said than done because when one experiences this "out of the blue", due to the exhilaration and euphoria that occurs, one would naturally try and establish where it came from. One feels a confidence, freedom and comfort that is hard to explain and even harder to maintain. Now it can be maintained in total isolation such as that offered by meditation, but in this reality it is unfortunately short lived and that, if you let it bother you as you effort to understand it, can cause you problems. I know, been there, done that. Whew!

You see this reality doesn't know what "feeling good" is all about. It just doesn't fit unless this reality sets the stage for you to "feel good". Then it is perfectly normal. Ha. But to feel good when you aren't supposed to, is, believe it or not a "mental disorder". How's that grab you. It's called "manic depression". Once you understand where the "depression" comes from, it begins to make a lot of sense and that is what I am going to try to do now.

As Withawhy did, he wanted to find out "why", but what also goes along with that is a compelling urge to "share" what you have experienced with others and that cannot be done. You want to scream at the top of your lungs "THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT". Since most don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, you will be considered "nuts". Ha. No kidding. Now for some, they will go a little "nuts" as they take their "new found freedom" to extremes and think they are Christ, go on spending sprees, or become preachers as their programmed thought interferes with this "divine" experience. Not good as things go. What we call "mania" is God getting through in a world that doesn't have a clue to what that means and to be "happy" when you are not supposed to be happy is a "chemical imbalance" when in truth it is a "chemical balance". We just can't figure out where it comes from and considering the world has learned to "live with fear", it makes no sense and drugs are dispensed to make us feel "normal". What a very cruel joke. But a necessary one. That is why I am writing this post.

The depression part of "manic depression" is the natural "coming to Earth" sensation as we have to leave that "feeling" and continue to exist in the reality we live in. It's sad. It truly is. What most don't understand the coming down is a "natural" experience we are force to endure and the need for "drugs" is not necessary except to alleviate the sadness that fall creates causing the depression. If one "expects" the fall, then it is not so bad. Now, btw, there are those who live the "rapture" and don't realize it and they are indeed rare. Those are the ones who lead "charmed lives" and if you have ever met one, you will know it. They can't be identified by any material means, only the illumination that comes through the eyes and their very being will identify them. I call them angels. I've have been fortunate to have met two in my life. They truly are the most beautiful people on Earth, and I am not talking about "physical" beauty either.

It takes time to understand how much "God" needs to "de-program" us so we don't go "beserk". Ha. That's why it is necessary to "just let it be" and just enjoy the fact that your life will be directed by a hand that will allow you to understand as you are capable of understanding. So don't rush it. This is tremendously important.

I hope what I have said will help some. I am not going to talk about those who use drugs or other measures to find peace in the world because I understand why they do. Once you understand that this life is but a parenthesis in eternity, that alone will, I hope offer a little comfort. Time to reel in again. Sometimes when I read over what I have written it really amazes me and I often remark to myself, "did I say that"? Ha Ha. Yes I have said these thing to others before, but when it is "new thought" it really blows me away. :a-ok:

William

xris

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 01:48 pm
@William,
Sorry to seem dim but was this a drug induced hallucination?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@Theaetetus,
Quote:

Psychedelics are a class of substances that alter perception of reality. LSD, so called magic mushrooms, and mescaline are the most well known psychedelics.

withawhy's experience is not dissimilar to psychedelic experiences. A sense of unity, or "oneness", with others and the reality, laughing and having a good time with friends - these are all pretty common under the influence of psychedelics.

I would recommend two books. First, Robert Thurman's Inner Revolution, and the second is the world classic, the Tao Te Ching.

If you are interested in learning about psychedelics, I would recommend The Doors of Perception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is usually printed with the essay Heaven and Hell. Huxley is a great early explorer or psychedelics.

withawhy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:14 am
@withawhy,
William, I appreciate your response. I agree with the excitement of the "new thought". I do 100% believe that the mind is our connection with God. I would say the step to consciousness is one step closer to becoming more of what God is.

This experience was not drug induced, if anything I would say it was conversationally induced, which makes it interesting in its own right. It was so powerful that the next morning I woke up feeling amazing. Feeling good. I cant describe it, but everything was just good. There was also a very strong urge to tell other people about what happened. To spread the word. It was so important.

I would say the experience was probably very similar to a psychedelic drug experience, except it only happened for a few seconds. The only psychedelics I've done are shrooms (dont think I took enough as I just had a body high, nothing really in the mind) and marijuana (if that counts).

I havent found or heard of a drug that creates exactly what I felt, however two people described experiences that sounded very similar:

One, a girl was in a terrible place in her life, the deepest lowest place. Crying, she went to an old religious lady who she knew and trusted. The lady prayed with her and she suddenly got this overwelming feeling of joy she couldnt describe.

The second was a lady with breast cancer, all the thoughts associated with it were overwhelming. Too overwelming. She couldnt take it and was nearly losing it. She couldnt think, was crying, she got on her knees, bent down and started praying. a deep intense prayer asking for help. she then got an overwelming sense that everything was going to be okay. it startled her. even the next day she woke up happy. (this experience was described to be before mentioning anything about mine happening)

The way these two described the feeling of this experience were nearly identical to the good feeling of mine, the only difference was that I go this feeling and also got a mind fully of information, knowledge.. I suddenly just knew things. Take the feeling of finally figuring out a hard equation, but applying it to what happens after you die. Moralities, death, truth..

In a weird way, I might categorize drugs & communication in the same category.

Communication is much much more difficult. I often imagine the path of important conversations in my head and they either branch out in too many places, hit road blocks or enter loops which lead nowhere.

xris

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:30 am
@withawhy,
Like all personal experiences they are only relevant to those experienced them onlookers have a bias to disbelieve..

William

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
William, I appreciate your response. I agree with the excitement of the "new thought". I do 100% believe that the mind is our connection with God. I would say the step to consciousness is one step closer to becoming more of what God is.

This experience was not drug induced, if anything I would say it was conversationally induced, which makes it interesting in its own right. It was so powerful that the next morning I woke up feeling amazing. Feeling good. I cant describe it, but everything was just good. There was also a very strong urge to tell other people about what happened. To spread the word. It was so important.

Let me go over some stuff just briefly if you don't mind. What you have experienced manifest's to you there is "something else" involved with our existence. Actually, it isn't, but it feels like it. Really you are "more complete". You are just beginning to tune up.

Now here's the hard part, you must go about your everyday life as you always have and not change from that in such a way that would "alarm" others. This is so important, because it just keeps getting better and better if you don't try and "mess" with it. Ha. You will come to realize the unbelievable omnipotence of this "something else". Now normally I would use God, but that automatically makes this a "religious" issue and it turns people off. What you have just experienced is not about religion, it's about life.

You will, through no effort on your part what so ever, become aware of a unity between you and the world around you that often is just dismissed as "coincidence's". They will "just happen" naturally. They will blow you away. Ha Ha. Literally. You will laugh, tear's of joy will well up and your knees will buckle and you need to just enjoy and "roll with it", so to speak. Don't go looking for them. Don't go looking for "signs". It has to do with a slowing down of how you think, as you become more "at ease".

This will be hard, because as you said your first inclination was to "share" what you had experienced and that is normal. Trust me, other's, especially those that know you best will "not" understand. Granted they will notice a change, just don't "lose your cool" so to speak. Don't go a "changin". Ha. Let me tell you a story.

Some close to 30 years ago when this happen to me, I didn't have anyone to tell me what was going on and I thought I was on a "mission from God". Ha. I tried to be "good" and I thought I, personally, would save the world. At the time I liked to drink beer and stopped in to buy a six pack and decided it was wrong to drink and changed my mind. I went back out to the car and turned on the radio and the next words I heard were from a Commodore's song as Lionel Richie sang: " ...don't go changin' to try and please me. You never let me down before". Goosebumps the size of bowling balls began appear as Jonathan Winter's would say "alllll over my boooooody". Ha. That's the slowing down part. Normally, I would have not noticed the correlation. I was transfixed as the only words in the universe were those words and they were for me to hear at that instant. I was "frozen". I was efforting to use the knowledge I had in my mind consciously to determined what was "right" and "wrong". You can't do that. Oh, and by the way, that was one of those "coincidences" I was telling you about. There have been thousands but those were for me and me alone. You will have your's also. Needless to say, I went back in and bought the beer and enjoyed the hell out of it. Ha.

When you are asked by someone close to you "what is going on" and that will happen, play it down and don't get too "excited" about it. If you don't understand what I am saying please let me know.
Later,
William

xris

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:08 pm
@William,
I'm intrigued to ask is there a god involved in this experience? you cant say it was just an experience without giving your thoughts on its source..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Something happened I can't explain
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 07:24:45