Hallucinations vs. reality

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Hallucinations vs. reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
Hallucination: An alien is talking to you all the time trying to convince you to kill someone. Eventually you kill someone and the alien puts the dead body in his ship. (The whole thing is just a hallucination but the person hallucinating might not realize it)

vs.

Reality: You kill someone.

What should happen: Obviously if you killed someone in reality you would deserve to go to jail, but if you killed someone and it was a hallucination, would you deserve to go to jail? What should happen to this person?

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:13 pm
@astrotheological,
Ok, you must realize that killing is wrong. Just because somebody tells you to doesn't make it right. And any alien encounter should be automatically viewed as a hallucination, not reality. So distinguishing between the two shouldn't be hard with something so far fetched like that.

So the person would probably go into a mental institution if he elaborated on his situation, because trusting a non-existent being is just wrong.

Besides, how is it any different to the dead person if one hallucinates or is in a perfectly healthy reality.

astrotheological

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:15 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Ok, you must realize that killing is wrong. Just because somebody tells you to doesn't make it right. And any alien encounter should be automatically viewed as a hallucination, not reality. So distinguishing between the two shouldn't be hard with something so far fetched like that.

So the person would probably go into a mental institution if he elaborated on his situation, because trusting a non-existent being is just wrong.

Besides, how is it any different to the dead person if one hallucinates or is in a perfectly healthy reality.

Look if you actually saw an alien though how could distinguish whether or not it is a hallucination or not. You saw it so you would believe it to be real.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:22 pm
@astrotheological,
Look, if you experience the alien, then there is no doubt in your mind it must exist. Not objectively ofcourse, but still, within one's reality.

But it does not matter. You cannot be subjected to killing a person just because an alien tells you to. Murder is wrong unless it is in stopping the person from murdering or committing crimes against humanity.

There is no just cause in an alien randomly telling you to murder.

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;25347 wrote:

How would you define "perfectly healthy reality?"

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:31 pm
@TickTockMan,
I should have said healthy state of mind, sorry. If one decides to listen to a stupid fictionary Laughing character in such a profound way, then I have to question their sanity, or perhaps just going through a mental breakdown, I thinking isn't right, thereby influencing reality.

astrotheological

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:35 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I should have said healthy state of mind, sorry. If one decides to listen to a stupid fictionary Laughing character in such a profound way, then I have to question their sanity, or perhaps just going through a mental breakdown, I thinking isn't right, thereby influencing reality.

Look if you saw an alien though wouldn't you believe that it was real. People don't ask themselves if they are hallucinating although your right that they should ofcourse.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@astrotheological,
Well it is as real in terms of sight, from as much as you've elaborated on the alien's presence. But if the alien is going to tell you what to do then the consequences are going to be the same.

astrotheological

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:40 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Well it is as real in terms of sight, from as much as you've elaborated on the alien's presence. But if the alien is going to tell you what to do then the consequences are going to be the same.

Well it depends on how the alien is telling you that you should kill this person. Will the alien convince you by saying how much you hate this and that about people and how life would be so much easier without people or would the alien threaten you in saying that if you do not kill this person I will kill you instead. Obviously the person should probably tell someone though.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:44 pm
@astrotheological,
You don't have to kill that person if you hate him/her. Just stay away. Or get some help with the problem. If a person feels threatened by a hallucination then that person should get some serious help, because the alien doesn't really exist and can't actually harm that person. Duh.

astrotheological

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
You don't have to kill that person if you hate him/her. Just stay away. Or get some help with the problem. If a person feels threatened by a hallucination then that person should get some serious help, because the alien doesn't really exist and can't actually harm that person. Duh.

But to you the alien is real and you feel threatened to tell someone in authority. What should you do then?

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:50 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;25356 wrote:

Who is going to seek this "serious help" for the person who sees and hears the alien?

astrotheological

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@TickTockMan,
There is no problem this is just totally made up.

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@astrotheological,
astrotheological;25362 wrote:
There is no problem this is just totally made up.

This particular instance is . . . but what about Son of Sam?
David Berkowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alien, dog, your toaster. Whatever. Instructional voices are instructional voices.

astrotheological

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
This particular instance is . . . but what about Son of Sam?
David Berkowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alien, dog, your toaster. Whatever. Instructional voices are instructional voices.

True............................................

ratta

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:55 pm
@astrotheological,
well i have a condition called paranoid delusions. which involve demons molesting me daily. i know that this is just a part of life as i have done ecstacy a few times and smoked a bit of blow and my doctors say that this is due to the drugs. but it started before the drugs sometimes i just cry all the time coz i see demons and they claim to be time travellers which i dont believe. but im growing stronger everyday fighting them or should i say ignoring the things they say its hard. the worst thing someone could tell u is that its a hallucination its crazy im wiser than thay are they still think they are going to die but i think that the personality is eternal. i feel sick all the time.

astrotheological

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:57 pm
@ratta,
ratta wrote:
well i have a condition called paranoid delusions. which involve demons molesting me daily. i know that this is just a part of life as i have done ecstacy a few times and smoked a bit of blow and my doctors say that this is due to the drugs. but it started before the drugs sometimes i just cry all the time coz i see demons and they claim to be time travellers which i dont believe. but im growing stronger everyday fighting them or should i say ignoring the things they say its hard. the worst thing someone could tell u is that its a hallucination its crazy im wiser than thay are they still think they are going to die but i think that the personality is eternal. i feel sick all the time.

Its nothing to get ashamed of. I have an avoidant personality disorder. I only talk on a forum like this because its the only place I can.

ratta

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:00 pm
@astrotheological,
thats very nice of u to comfort me like that brother.

ratta

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@astrotheological,
to tell u the truth i cant really trust no one but myself, and it makes me feel selfish but its true. over the years ive seen evryone leave in there own individual way but i also see the better side of them on occasion, like my sisters i see how helpless they are too and i look and my boyfriend and how beautiful he is.
it just seems that there is so much beauty in the world that its hard to contain it all. one love one life, im sorry its the best i could do.

MITech

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@ratta,
If I ever had these sort of hallucinations I would tell somebody. Or even if I saw an alien and they were threatening me I would say something still. Ofcourse when you see something still ofcourse you wouldn't ask yourself is this a hallucination or not because you would believe in what you see. If an alien or somebody were to ever threaten me I would call the police even if they were to think I was crazy because there is actually no such thing as someby who's insane. Only there actions can be defined as insane. So in the end that person would end up seeing a psychiatrist and be diagnosed with schizophrenia or psychosis or something. But would someone who is diagnosed with this be considered insane or crazy? I personally don't think so.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Hallucinations vs. reality
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:53:22