IQ of the members of the forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:30 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I've frequented every half-way decent philosophy forum on the net - and this is, by far, the best. Justin does a great job here.

I could be wrong, but I think I may have seen Fido moonlighting on at least one other site. Wink

I get around like the crabs; not too fast, but all the way.

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:29 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
If I can't get through the first page, I'd need eternity to reach the last page taking the normal route.
With War and Peace it's the first oh 150 pages. But the last 1400 pages are amazing.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:03 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
leayuak. I think the Russians and all of Asia holds some fascinating people, but something about their liturature is like having a nail driven through my nuts. If I can't get through the first page, I'd need eternity to reach the last page taking the normal route. Maybe there is something I am missing. Have you ever read the Hunt'smans Tail? I think that is what it is called. I will have to look for it. I think it had something to do with the nominal freeing of the serfs before our slaves were freed, if they ever were.

Yeah - the first time I picked up C&P I read the first third or so and became sidetracked. A couple months later, I tried the book again and could hardly put it down. For me, I was still a little too young for it, and those two months contained enough life experience for me to make another attempt at the book and understand it, at least enough for the book to be compelling.

I'm not familiar with the Huntsmans Trail, though it sounds interesting.

Quote:
With War and Peace it's the first oh 150 pages. But the last 1400 pages are amazing.

My copy growls at me every time I enter the room. Still haven't read it; haven't even opened the book.

Zetetic11235

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Notes from the underground. Short, sweet and straight to the point.

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:43 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

I'll take your word for it and watch the movie.

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah - the first time I picked up C&P I read the first third or so and became sidetracked. A couple months later, I tried the book again and could hardly put it down. For me, I was still a little too young for it, and those two months contained enough life experience for me to make another attempt at the book and understand it, at least enough for the book to be compelling.

I'm not familiar with the Huntsmans Trail, though it sounds interesting.

My copy growls at me every time I enter the room. Still haven't read it; haven't even opened the book.

Tale, not tail, or trail. I'll see if I can find the name and author. It might be within five feet of me in a history of the Czars, the autocrats of Russia or something. What a hard, difficult people, and enduring.

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah - the first time I picked up C&P I read the first third or so and became sidetracked. A couple months later, I tried the book again and could hardly put it down.
I was in college the first time I read it. I read it in less than 24 hours.

As for Notes from Underground, the first chapter (Underground) is blistering, rambling, hard to follow, but unlike any bit of writing ever before or ever since. It's a work of utter genius. The second chapter (Apropos of the Wet Snow) is a lot easier to read, and a whole lot of fun in that unparalleled Dostoyevsky self-destructive character way.

Zetetic11235

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:13 pm
@Aedes,
There was a time when I really felt as though I identified with the first chapter. There is quite a bit of embraceing of self contradiction, a touch of sophistry and spiteful eliteism in the interaction with the reader. At the same time a touch of hopelessness and humility. It is the state of mind when one is simply fed up, has taken the plunge into the abyss and stared his limits in the eyes looses somthing in it, a bit of peace of mind, somthing quintessential to getting along with those who haven't lost what you have. A certain embracement of the infirmity of reality and distaste for all who haven't descended into the the dark waters of uncertainty, straying from those constructs man has built for himself as a crutch to stave off the spirit crushing side of the unknown. Total rejection of all of these constructs leads you to the ultimate inescapable truth that we haven't really gotten anywhere and we cannot be going anywhere. We are all in essence sisyphusian beings. It is at this point that companionship among all men in our condition is born. An inescapable unity and moral clarity. We are all in this together. Many don't seem to get that far, the fall before the end and stay there, filled with contempt for all men who haven't lost that peace of mind. This is where the character of this book is.

Another book to read, which I think more than any other clarifies the will to power concept from nietzsche, is The Stranger.

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:19 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Great synopsis of Underground.

I've never seen a great deal in common between Camus and Nietzsche. The Stranger is a good read, though -- it could be considered a VERY bare-bones rendition of Crime and Punishment.

But for Camus' fiction, I think nothing beats The Plague. It's got a lot more humanity in it than The Stranger, which I find as bleak as Nausea (by Sartre).

Incidentally, one of the greatest works of pure existential fiction I've ever read is The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe. It's a novelization of the Sisyphus phenomenon, but dark and weird and interesting (his Ark Sakura is another great book).

Ennui phil

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:13 am
@OntheWindowStand,
OntheWindowStand wrote:

IQ: 146

There are some pretty smart people here I am expecting a lot of high scores but be honest please
Can you please elaborate,OntheWindowStand?I can solely cite that IQ is an enigma,IQ makes one intellectual,sometimes a veneer of animosity.

Gwyniviere

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:17 pm
@Aedes,
mine is 147 and who really cares? Alright I can recognize a pattern or solve a problem, but how does this help us understand who we are? And why are we here? Better to ask can a monkey think.

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:17 pm
@Gwyniviere,
IQ: 73 . . . . and falling.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:59 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan, LOL!

General comment,

I find it peculiar that since this threads conception, no one had mentioned American (or another country) mensa. Also, any standard intelligence test provides you with a verification card listing you as a person over 140. I have yet to see proof in the form of a card or something like that. I could tell anyone that I am 180.

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:57 am
@Gwyniviere,
Gwyniviere wrote:
mine is 147 and who really cares? Alright I can recognize a pattern or solve a problem, but how does this help us understand who we are? And why are we here? Better to ask can a monkey think.

My parents told me who I am, and since they are honest, I trust them. Why we are here is not a problem. If you need a purpose choose one, because needs are everywhere, and it is a choice to not be helpful when you choose instead to toggle your mind to existential empty ends.

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:12 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
TickTockMan, LOL!

General comment,

I find it peculiar that since this threads conception, no one had mentioned American (or another country) mensa. Also, any standard intelligence test provides you with a verification card listing you as a person over 140. I have yet to see proof in the form of a card or something like that. I could tell anyone that I am 180.

I got the iq number in my case from a transcript of grades. I never knew it when I was going to school. I did hear from my parents that the nuns told them they knew I was intelligent, but that they could not figure out why I did not do better and test better. The fact is that I have a child with add who shares many of the same educational issues as myself. Like myself, she grasps concepts very well, has trouble with timed tests, and verbal information. Like myself I trust she will struggle with one size fitz all education, and will be a life long learner.

Pangloss

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:06 am
@OntheWindowStand,
Well, not trying to brag or anything, but I got a 170...probably just a fluke. But even though I did get a 170, which is really high, I'll be the first person to tell you that my 170 doesn't mean anything anyway...170 170..., 170!

:sarcastic:

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:24 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
Well, not trying to brag or anything, but I got a 170...probably just a fluke. But even though I did get a 170, which is really high, I'll be the first person to tell you that my 170 doesn't mean anything anyway...170 170..., 170!

:sarcastic:

Rebuilding a motor, a transmission or a carburator from a manual tells me I am intelligent. What I set my mind to I can learn, or do. But the real challenge in life, the difference between an intelligent person and a great personality is the ability to work with others, and there I fail. I talk a lot about forms of relationship but I have struggled always with making my relationships work. I think it is safe to say that intelligence is a test, but life is more like a game, like chess perhaps, with every situation different and every person playing different to the point where the variables are the game. I would be happy keeping my alarm set to a single time, and doing the basics of life by memory so I could enjoy the amusments of philosophy. Instead, to relate with people is to surf an ever changing environment that has to work for them as well as myself....That's life and then you die

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:12 am
@Fido,
I'm looking forward to my IQ stabilizing at about 58 points, so I can just sit in the sun and enjoy the moment without being troubled by all this "thinking" stuff.

In anticipation, I am growing my goatee longer so I'll have something to catch the drool.

nameless

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:14 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
OntheWindowStand;19363 wrote:

IQ: 146

Uh huh...
Care to link me to some of your 'genius' posts to verify such an ego-strokin' claim? I'd love to follow a 'genius' through some of his thought precesses.
And to open a whole thread to make such a 'brag' seems like less than a 'genius' thing to do. 'Genius' usually displays itself. It sounds more like an insecure blurt. Please, show some evidence? For instance, whats 2+2=? How would a 'genius' reply?

I've not heard so many bald-faced egoic lies since listening to politicians speak.
Pffft!

"Geee! My IQ is 296 but that doesn't mean anything cause I'm so humble toooo..."
puh-leese!
(gags with spoon!)

Besides, the greater the intelligence/intellectual pride, the more that one needs to overcome to actually 'get a clue'!

nameless

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;27665 wrote:
I'm looking forward to my IQ stabilizing at about 58 points, so I can just sit in the sun and enjoy the moment without being troubled by all this "thinking" stuff.

In anticipation, I am growing my goatee longer so I'll have something to catch the drool.

Isn't that called 'enlightenment'? *__-

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 08:41:44