Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:32 pm
@Holiday20310401,

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:59 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Quote:
But anyway. What I said was the affirmative of what you had stated. The relativistic slant is based on the way two different peoples view their government. Chinese have always been totalitarian in nature, and revolve around extreme patriarchical structures. Perhaps the form of government is misplaced by our standards, but the Chinese may be used to an entirely different set of ideals. But the Chinese government did to Tibet what the Americans did to the Native American Indians, only the chinses held a "legitimate" claim to the region. It may not seem right superficially, but the Chinese claim suzerainty over a strategic and essential part of the what is now part of china that dates back to the ancestral lands of the Yuan and Qing.

Jesus man, the whole planet has a history of totalitarianism. That has been, by far, the dominant political system.

You're right to compare the US treatment of Native Americans to the Communist treatment of Tibet.

You're wrong about China's claim. Well, the Chinese government would agree, but history does not. Tibet was never part of the ancestral Yuan, much less ancestral Qing lands. These regimes protected the demilitarized Buddhist state of Tibet and looked to Tibet's Lamas for spiritual guidance. It wasn't until...the 19020's if memory serves me, but it probably doesn't...that Tibet became politically subservient to the Chinese - basically, only very recently. Tibet never recognized subservience to the Chinese Communist government, though the Tibetans did make the offer provided that the Chinese leave Tibet sovereign and isolated.

Quote:

We never entered Baghdad. Saddam never lost power - he was on the verge of absolute defeat.

Quote:
But how is the middle east crisis a thousand year old story bull? History isn't an important factor. That's history. You can't deny that. War has been constant, but the generalities of war do not deny the locus of major conflicts over the millennia. The current crisis is not relatively modern. People today would like to think that because it's easier to grasp. That bit of history you cited is the tip of a very large iceberg. One conflict has led to another, etc.

Conflict has been ongoing for thousands of years, but the modern conflict has not been going on for thousands of years.

The current crisis is modern - it's the result of Colonialism after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. It's not the tip of the iceberg, it's the catalyst for the modern conflict.

The modern conflict can be summed up in this way - the Islamic world fighting for religious and cultural independence from the West which has attempted to dominate the Islamic world following the fall of the Ottomans. It's the fall of the Ottomans, French and British invasions in north Africa, Arabia and India. The modern conflict is not the same conflict as the Crusades, or the same conflict as the Hellenistic invasion. Those older conflicts are important to note historically as they are influential, but they should not be confused with the modern conflict.

Quote:
The ratio of deaths is relevant. The size and nature of opponents change constantly. But the one constant among some others is that one sided experiences more losses than the other. That's warfare.

Right, the ratio is irrelevant. That's my point. Sighting the ratio as an example of US military success or efficiency doesn't hold water.

Quote:
On military strategy in Iraq, neither one of us is qualified to give that statement. The only ones that are even remotely qualified to make that call are the boots on the ground in Iraq.

Bogus. The boots on the ground know even less. We're talking about a generally poorly educated group of men and women who face death daily. They don't have the time to consider these issues - they have time to try and stay alive.

Quote:
The problem with anti-guerilla warfare is that we aren't allowed to go the length required to do it. Anti-guerilla warfare is as bloody as any tactics any insurgent could use. Read up on the British Malay crisis. It has all happened before.

My point exactly. We cannot use the proper tactics for political reasons, thus we cannot win the war.

Quote:

You mentioned the British because of their high casualties - which was due to the military tactics of the period. The basic problem - the inability to force the population into submission - is the same. The Russians had the same problem in the 80's. Afghanistan was Russia's Vietnam.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos,

That the whole planet has a history of Totalitarianism is extremelyvery relative statement in regards to that theater. We could no more attribute the cause of today's conflict to post imperial vacuum than we could deny the volumes of history that contribute to the overall problem. So is history systemic? I would think so.

As to your comment on my comment about body counts. Well, I said the ratio wasmore because they are there.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:52 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Quote:

Not really. Monarchy, tyranny (in the classical Greek way) - totalitarianism has been the world's dominant political structe.

Quote:
But we did win. The whole point was to preserve Kuwait sovereignty. Entering Baghdad may be a contingency of occupation, which we did not do. Saddam never lost power because we did not demand he relinquish that power. Power vacuum was far too dangerous an alternative.

Sure, we won the first Gulf Conflict.

Quote:
Conflict and modernity is, again, a very relative statement in regards to that theater. We could no more attribute the cause of today's conflict to post imperial vacuum than we could deny the volumes of history that contribute to the overall problem. So is history systemic? I would think so.

Actually we can. Yes, history is systematic. But this doesn't mean that the Crusades and the modern War on Terror are the same conflict.

Quote:
As to your comment on my comment about body counts. Well, I said the ratio was relevant. I didn't agree with you.

Okay, then what's your argument?

Quote:

And I have conversations with those boots on the ground all of the time. They usually end quite well. One of two things happens 1) the soldier knew the war was misguided and has maintained that view or 2) the soldier was gung-ho when shipped out only to return home with the realization that American efforts are futile. I live in a big military town.

Quote:
But honestly, they do know more because they are there. It's that simple.

How is this possible? The are there in one place. A soldier in Basra isn't also a soldier in Baghdad and a soldier in Afghanistan at the same time.

Heck, the military leaders are even questionable. They sure didn't know what was going on in Vietnam despite the constant worries of non-military strategy gurus.

Quote:
They don't have left or right propaganda to sway their opinion the way we do.

Actually, they do. They are fed military propaganda. Just ask one.

Quote:
Well, Wesley Clark was a Rhodes Scholar.

And he is a war critic. Go figure.

Quote:

See here: "The bottom line is that our military strategy in Iraq, and in Afghanistan, does not work. We need to adopt more effective anti-guerrilla tactics if we want to gain a real military advantage in these places - the problem is that this calls for an even more repressive stance towards the citizens of those nations."

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:27 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
"The ratio of deaths is relevant. The size and nature of opponents change constantly. But the one constant among some others is that one side experiences more losses than the other. That's warfare." More precisely, the body count matters because the essential nature of warfare by attrition is a fundamental truth of warfare regardless of the opponent's idiosyncrasies.

I also know a few people in the military, officers and enlisted. But I would be an existential exoticist to suppose that because I know people who are in the military, I know the temperature of the military in general. Their views are relative to themselves. The military has mixed views about the war, no doubt about that. But your two categories do not encapsulate the average military personnel, only a particular outlook on it. There are others who have a different outlook on their job. Everyone should have their opinions (left or right), but also the duty to fulfill their obligations to the state.

Now that is a good point as to how a soldier in one area can know as much as one in another area. I'm talking about the general feeling of the overall war and the impact on the front lines. Does a soldier in Basra know what's going on in another part of the conflict? NO. And they are not expected to. But they are connected to the conflict in a way that we are not.

As to military propaganda, would you want to field a demoralized army?

Agreed, Wesley Clarke is indeed a war critic. But that is as a civilian. Wesley Clarke the civilian is different from Wesley Clarke the military General. The retirement of his stars entitle him to a personal opinion. But as a officer under obligation to the state, he was a fantastic general.

As to guerilla tactics, you had assumed that (from post #21) and inferred in post #22, that it was your point exactly. The points are different. I did not see a coincidence in your statements.

(and to adhere to the thread topic: Did you know that Canada has the longest coastline in the world? Also, did you know that the Canadian red tailed beaver is carnivorous and feeds on the flesh of the living every second Tuesday of the month?)

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:33 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Actually, I don't understand how the crusades differ much from the middle east war. If you are saying that since the Ottoman downfall the islamics are trying to regain influence and basically get rid of the western culture/ and religion then its islam vs. western and therefore Christianity (but I don't think we have any intentions of establishing Christianity there, right?). And the crusades were about Jerusalem; islam vs. christianity.

Laughing Found this comic.

[ATTACH]20[/ATTACH]

Why doesn't the USA try to advocate for the islamic religion. It would provide sway to keep the public at bay, of Kiddle East. And then no bystanders for the extremists. :a-ok:
And I don't think that there should be such a broad outlook on totaliarian influences. I'm sure China is much more extreme (totalitarianly) in comparisson to other regimes. I see relations to theocracy and caste systems with centralized govs. I suppose these are like camoflauged dictators. Speaking under religion so as to criticize other cultures that inverse the virtue of the political power.

Canada- And what virtue is there besides sucking up to the USA in war of middle east. Oil? Canada doesn't really use it for electricity anymore, for cars sure, but hopefully cars will develop enough so as to abolish the need. The land should not be necessary in the middle east. Canada is low population, and large land area, and much more fertile than middle east. Religion? Canada has no state to create a bias. There's no market, and resources have no military to protect them.

And it makes sense that the soldiers would not know whats going on because ultimately it is the highest ranks making the big decisions who are not fighting the war at the front lines, who are safely inside a carrier waiting to launch an air strike, or are in their own country well protected by NORAD and whatever anti air systems in place.
[CENTER]:big-guns::Stop: :saddened::angry:
[/CENTER]

Ruthless Logic

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:37 am
@Holiday20310401,
You probably want the LSD to ware off before you post on these forums, Ruthless. (quote)

The unfortunate aspect of your response is the continued denial of personal assessment, and the subsequent uncomfortable realizations.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
@Ruthless Logic,
Holiday,

Ruthless Logic,

To quote Rick James, "cocaine is one hell of a drug."

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:10 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
Holiday,
But I think that Islam in particular is a sort of hyper-identity marker for middle easterners. It has become their definition.

Wasn't it their definition before when the whole idea was to establish a caliphate and follow the caliph, like Abu Bakr. So Islam was always their definition just not put to undefine the Christian religion before.

VideCorSpoon wrote:
Why doesn't the US advocate for Islamic religion? How would you feel if Islamic Mullahs were advocating Christian doctrines? (If you are Christian).

I don't follow Christianity much so I guess I wouldn't care. It would just be unorthodox. But if I was Christian then thats like Islam and Christianity getting along, right?:a-ok:

VideCorSpoon wrote:

Yeah, I found that out when I read up on the university students advocating democracy and being shot down for it. How much is a bulet though?! They must not make much, which is all the more reason to invade China.

VideCorSpoon wrote:
But it's a shame that Islam has taken on such a terrible face. The Koran in particular is a very interesting read and is strikingly similar to the Bible. It can give you some insight into Islamic understanding.

I hear that it is better to read it in Arabic, and it sounds very poetic in that language. Also that the Koran is very much as moral as the Bible but doesn't the Koran degrade women.

VideCorSpoon wrote:

Yeah, and Bush has shown some guts going against the public, invading a country without nuclear weapons of mass destruction, cheating the election, and giving speeches when his way with words makes him look pathetic in some cases. Didn't Bush use in one of his speeches that he heard God speak to him or something. That was probably a bad move.

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:16 am
@Ruthless Logic,
Ruthless Logic wrote:

The unfortunate aspect of your response is the continued denial of personal assessment, and the subsequent uncomfortable realizations.

Lol. I'll admit I don't know anything here. But Didymos has 24 times as many posts as you do so he's had many realisations that make his posts more credible and understandable than ruthless logic, not Ruthless Logic perhaps, but ruthless logic.Laughing

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:30 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
I get what you're saying - they are examples of cultures without totalitarian rule. Many Native American tribes, for example. But for the most part, when cities begin to emerge, totalitarianism in some form comes to dominate.

Quote:
As to the body count statement, my position was this (from post #21); "The ratio of deaths is relevant. The size and nature of opponents change constantly. But the one constant among some others is that one side experiences more losses than the other. That's warfare." More precisely, the body count matters because the essential nature of warfare by attrition is a fundamental truth of warfare regardless of the opponent's idiosyncrasies.
And body count does matter. The problem is that when we are talking about the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, the ration that the US has managed does not give the US any edge. Again, I go to the Vietnam example. The US lost far fewer soldiers than the NV who regularly lost near 200,000 men each year. This didn't matter because the NV could replace those 200,000 men each year with no problem. If the ratio is to make a difference the US has to kill more men than can be replaced. At the moment, we are far from accomplishing this goal.

Quote:
I also know a few people in the military, officers and enlisted. But I would be an existential exoticist to suppose that because I know people who are in the military, I know the temperature of the military in general. Their views are relative to themselves. The military has mixed views about the war, no doubt about that. But your two categories do not encapsulate the average military personnel, only a particular outlook on it. There are others who have a different outlook on their job. Everyone should have their opinions (left or right), but also the duty to fulfill their obligations to the state.
Obligation to the state doesn't change their perspective on the War.

My argument has been this: the opinion of military personnel may not be relevant when considering the success or failure of the war.

Quote:
Now that is a good point as to how a soldier in one area can know as much as one in another area. I'm talking about the general feeling of the overall war and the impact on the front lines. Does a soldier in Basra know what's going on in another part of the conflict? NO. And they are not expected to. But they are connected to the conflict in a way that we are not.
Sure - they are connected to the conflict. But our connection isn't running from flying bullets and bombs, our connection is being at home with the ability to check the facts about the war.

Quote:

As to military propaganda, would you want to field a demoralized army?
No - I don't want an army in the field in the first place. You said that the military was free from left and right wing propaganda - which is not true as they are filled with military propaganda, which is decidedly right wing.

Quote:
Agreed, Wesley Clarke is indeed a war critic. But that is as a civilian. Wesley Clarke the civilian is different from Wesley Clarke the military General. The retirement of his stars entitle him to a personal opinion. But as a officer under obligation to the state, he was a fantastic general.
He was a fantastic general - and still a war critic. Despite having retired, he is still a pretty sharp military adviser. He isn't exactly a good example of military minds in favor of the war.

Quote:
As to guerilla tactics, you had assumed that (from post #21) and inferred in post #22, that it was your point exactly. The points are different. I did not see a coincidence in your statements.
Shouldn't be coincidence in my words - they come from me and are all related to warfare. That's not coincidence.

My point about guerrilla tactics - current US strategy is poorly adapted to fighting guerrilla forces and implementing effective guerrilla tactics is politically impossible for the US. We are not, and will not, implemented a strategy that could win these conflicts thus we will lose these conflicts.

Quote:
Actually, I don't understand how the crusades differ much from the middle east war. If you are saying that since the Ottoman downfall the islamics are trying to regain influence and basically get rid of the western culture/ and religion then its islam vs. western and therefore Christianity (but I don't think we have any intentions of establishing Christianity there, right?). And the crusades were about Jerusalem; islam vs. christianity.
They have similarities - the region, the religion of the people. That's about it, though. To say they are the same conflict is to say that all wars are the same conflict.

Quote:
Why doesn't the USA try to advocate for the islamic religion. It would provide sway to keep the public at bay, of Kiddle East. And then no bystanders for the extremists
That's a good question. In the second state of the union address, President Bush talked about spreading freedom, economic opportunity, education, all of that. Many in the Middle East believed him and were excited. However, the Bush policy on the ground has been 'kill'. This upset many middle easterners.

Ruthless -
Quote:
For a while we had an agreement - you wouldn't talk to me, I wouldn't talk to you. I liked that agreement. But, hey, if you want to embarrass yourself with incoherent sentences that's your business. I hate to tell you, buddy, but my insistence on not taking you seriously is the result of personal assessment.

To the rest of you - I can handle Ruthless on my own. No need to get involved.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

They have similarities - the region, the religion of the people. That's about it, though. To say they are the same conflict is to say that all wars are the same conflict.

I didn't know that Bush had any kind of conflict with the Middle East after weapons of mass destruction were not found. I think its inevitable that all nations will have nuclear warfare at some point. I just think that the benefits for the Bush Administration were to overwhelming not to accept for them.

According the to editor of visibone, " it costs 21 million on average to kill a person in Iraq". I'm assuming thats a ratio of war costs in general to the casualties taken from the Insurgent side.

I've posted that before but still is a great stat when you consider how much it would cost to put wind power or solar on a house. And a house usually has more than 1 person in it. But its too late for that cause America is already in debt.Laughing
Why is it that the republicans always leave the nation in debt and the democrats leave a surplus. (Generally)
And then the conservatives leave debt and liberals leave surplus.
Any idea as to how America is supposed to 'undebt' themelves?:perplexed:

socrato

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
@Holiday20310401,
There will inevitably be some huge war in the future where people will be fighting over resources. Whether Canada will be the main target in such a war, is questionable. Although for example, oil is a huge resource that is used for so many things. If we can find other things to compensate for the use of oil in our everyday lives than eventually there will not be such a great demand for it in the future.Instead of using gas powered cars we could all switch to electric cars or even solar powered cars for that matter.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:24 pm
@socrato,
Well Canada I think will be the center of it all, but defenseless at the same time if the military doesn't sharpen up. Canada is a great exporter of oil, water (I'm sure), natural gas (which the USA depend on I bet), and produce. Canada has a lot of farming space, and yet another issue is how they seem to build houses on the good soil. Niagara Falls is all residential now when it should be farming, (richest soil in canada).

socrato

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:57 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I don't think it will matter how big Canada's army gets it will never be as big as the US or China's

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:03 am
@socrato,
Just pulled a few stats to give me a better idea of Canada's situation. :nonooo:

Canada GDP (official exchange rate) = 1.432 trillion per year and of that 2.1% comes from agriculture, 28.7% from industry, and 69.1% from services.

I know that most of the industry occurs in the southern parts of Ontario and Quebec, also it seems that more profit can be gained in relation to land area by industry rather than agriculture, so that explains the residential boom in southern ON where the irony is displayed being that the soil here is very fertile.

And the military expenditure is 1.1% of GDP. That means that only
15,752,000,000 dollars are spent on military production.

USA GDP (official exchange rate) = 13.84 trillion per year and of that 0.9% comes from agriculture, 20.5% from industry, and 78.5% from services.

Military expenditure was 4.06% of GDP as of 2005. That's 561,904,000,000 dollars to military production.

If only the world worked in a way that the military expenditure was 0% of GDP. But since it can't, Canada has a serious problem in that they are not really preparing like the USA is for what is to come, as if every war that North America fights is going to be on other soil.

Also, America is in debt by trillion's of dollars 9.5 trillion as of April 2008, according to wikipedia. That's 68.64% of an 1 year GDP. Has such a debt been reversed quickly by a republican gov. before?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
@Holiday20310401,
To address Canada's military deficiencies...
http://i38.tinypic.com/3zgur.jpghttp://i33.tinypic.com/spb3o1.jpghttp://i35.tinypic.com/11ca8gx.jpg

Don't worry, he'll get back on his feet.

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:02 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Might I add that Canada's military will not be robotic, with red glaring eyes, at least not for a long time.

And Canada has many kinds of resources.

And yeah the USA will undebt themselves, but won't that take a long time, like a few terms. Apparently, Harper has increased the number of troops in each province, I don't remember the stats exactly but it seems rather useless to put the troops in Canada, just waiting for something when we have police.

And I don't know if you've seen the RCMP horse guys. lol. It is so degrading b/c the RCMP is supposed to be our intelligence and all they have to show for it is a rodeo sort of thing. (A dance involving horseback riding).

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:15 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Remember guys, the RCMP is not the primary intelligence bureau in Canada. Canadian Intelligence and Espionage is conducted by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. And they don't ride horses LOL

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:04 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Yes but they're lame for an intelligence agency, give me a reason to even conduct espionage, unless a substitute for war.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 3.47 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:40:44