Have you ever wondered if you were born in the wrong time era?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

ltdaleadergt

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
@Holiday20310401,
no matter in what century we live in there are always people who live a better life than us! What makes you think if you lived in 18 century you would have been living such a life! Life was not that easy. But I believe I lived in Germany in the same time era, 18 century, just to know how is it possible to produce so many great works and so many great intellectual thinkers! It most have been something in water lol! Or in ancient greek!

midas77

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I would like to be born 3 generations ahead from now where flying cars and time machine is a possiibility. Don't worry videcorspoon, i'll drop by and bring you a lifetiem supply of pennicilin and DT i'll present you the entire world library in a thumb drive

Aedes

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 07:26 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
ThoughtAsStupid wrote:
I wish I lived in the 18th century. Everybody danced cleaner, spoke cleaner, dressed better, and all sorts of stuff.
And 1/3 of their children died before reaching the age of 5, and the life expectancy was only around 50 years.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:01 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader> wrote:
But I believe I lived in Germany in the same time era, 18 century, just to know how is it possible to produce so many great works and so many great intellectual thinkers! It most have been something in water lol! Or in ancient greek!

Are there many great thinkers today. I mean with the population boom there should be a proportional relationship to the number of great minds today. Do they just not get recognized anymore. I mean I know of Hawking and Feynmann. Any others.

socrato

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:29 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
ThoughtAsStupid wrote:
I wish I lived in the 18th century. Everybody danced cleaner, spoke cleaner, dressed better, and all sorts of stuff. Have you wondered if you were born in the wrong era?

I've always wanted to live in a futuristic era where technology is so advanced and i've wanted to see how far the human race can get to in terms of surviving and how much they can understand about, well philosophy.Could it ever be possible that we will invent a way to time travel.(I doubt it but who knows)Thats just one example as well.

Vasska

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 03:40 am
@socrato,
I've always had the feeling that the people who were teenagers in the suburbs of America in the 80's had some sort of advantage, or at least a better experience, that those of us who grew up in the 90's.

So I'll guess I liked to have been born in the late 60's early 70's. Being a teenager in the 80's.

For countries I'd rather have been born in either Germany, Canada or Britain.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 12:43 am
@Vasska,
Quote:
Are there many great thinkers today. I mean with the population boom there should be a proportional relationship to the number of great minds today. Do they just not get recognized anymore. I mean I know of Hawking and Feynmann. Any others.
It's difficult to predict who will be revered, say, 500 years from now. Thinkers gain and lose favor over time.

Quote:
Could it ever be possible that we will invent a way to time travel.(I doubt it but who knows)

Hmm - as a thread idea, perhaps discussion of the paradoxes of time travel? As far as I know, no such thread exists here.

Quote:
I've always had the feeling that the people who were teenagers in the suburbs of America in the 80's had some sort of advantage, or at least a better experience, that those of us who grew up in the 90's.

Oh, but the 80's was such a terrible decade. I think by the 90's, nihilism came to be more influential, a nihilism that was beginning to take root in the 80's.
Personally, I really don't mind my placement in time. I mean, I have witnessed the most corrupt American administration in history - that's nothing minor. Kinda wish I had been older for it, though; better able to reflect and comment on the whole thing. We really needed a Hunter Thompson sort to cover GW Bush.

That said, I don't think I would have minded a change of venue. Germany would have been cool. At least I would have been able to drink my fill of Lowenbrow since the age of 16.

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:45 am
@ThoughtAsStupid,
ThoughtAsStupid wrote:
I wish I lived in the 18th century. Everybody danced cleaner, spoke cleaner, dressed better, and all sorts of stuff. Have you wondered if you were born in the wrong era?

I would say I'd rather live in 19th century Germany; greatest period in world literature and culture.... but then think of the diseases that still have been cured or vaccines that haven't been invented yet....

one-philosophy

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 02:42 am
@ThoughtAsStupid,
I wished I coulda been born in the 50's, so I don't miss the 60's! Although, a time machine would be better. I could make all the best songs in the world. I would rip off all led zeplin, jimmy hendrixs etc rifts, claim them for my own. Then I'd help knock down berlin wall. Maybe kill hitler (MAYBE, big ethical provogative there). I'd make it so I was born with better imagination and such because I can't think of what else I could do with a time machine.

FatalMuse

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 03:58 am
@one-philosophy,
If I'd been born before modern medicine, I would have probably died at 18 months and certainly at 12 (not including the times I had antibiotics). So, I would've liked to have been born several hours earlier, because it would've saved my mother a long labour and also mean I would have been born exactly 40 years to the day after Jimi Hendrix. I'm happy to live in the age of modern medicine and contraception.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:16:28