Have you ever wondered if you were born in the wrong time era?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Have you ever wondered if you were born in the wrong time era?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:35 pm
I wish I lived in the 18th century. Everybody danced cleaner, spoke cleaner, dressed better, and all sorts of stuff. Have you wondered if you were born in the wrong era?

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:53 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
This kind of boils down to what era you'd rather be in, right?

Everybody would consider the area that is right for them is what they'd enjoy more, not what would supply more virtue. Which is a good way to view it. Can I choose the future? Cause I think, even though I'm only in high school, I have gotten used to my lifestyle that the wanting technology in the past would leave me depressed. Although you are looking at being 'born' without knowing what the present era is like first.
I think I'd prefer the era today though if I were to choose. Its a big plus I suppose that I skipped both world wars, but there is always the possibility of a third. And then there are epidemics to come, global warming is a questionable occurrence (even though I believe it is a waste of time to prevent and is an inevitable part of the cycle). I doubt I'd enjoy being a part of the lower class of the average society back then than that of today, when universal suffrage, and emancipation were never thought of.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:51 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
I wish I lived in the 18th century.

Are you certain that you didn't?

In any case, I'd like to have lived in a time with the most advanced medicine - like, right now. Otherwise, maybe in a time to see one of the great Axial Age thinkers - Socrates, Buddha, one of those types.

Quote:
Everybody danced cleaner, spoke cleaner, dressed better, and all sorts of stuff.

The first two make the period sound unbearable. As for the dress - I just never was a fan of male or female attire of the time. I prefer the more provocative and subversive - at least as options.

urangutan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Wow, I was born in the wrong place and of that I am sure. I felt that I had a great throwing arm and could have been a brilliant quarterback, more so than a baseball pitcher. I like to throw the distance. I would have loved to have a shot at the title. My name up their with Montana and Farve. Here at home though, we do not have the sports to use this ability to its greatest. Not until we are old and we play the game of lawn bowls, dreaming of the day we meet Drake on the patch before the great battle with the Armada.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:05 am
@urangutan,
I met Joe Montana in a Memphis bar. He was sloshed, and busied himself by hitting on one of the women I was with. Hilarious.

Football is America's great sport. Baseball is all numbers. You hear people say baseball has more strategy - bunk. Football has every bit as much strategy and ten times the heart. The great football coaches are field marshals beyond compare - rallying the troops and devising strategy for a sport that isn't far removed from ancient Greek warfare.

I don't know if you get much coverage of our college ball in the southern hemisphere - that's the back bone of the sport. Pro ball is great, I'm a big fan, but college ball is Gilgamesh.

urangutan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:23 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I can get it on ESPN. Sorry I don't notice the difference. I am a Skins fan and I see the game as guerilla warfare and rugby as trench warfare. I likke to expose a sport for its waring qualities.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:40 am
@urangutan,
Rugby and football are both ceremonial warfare. It's a vent for some tribal instinct we humans still have buried in our minds. Better to play ball than kill one another.

The difference between college ball and pro ball, aside from some superficial rule differences, is the player. Gilgamesh is, basically, the story of a young man becoming a man. This is college ball.

GregSchwab

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 12:01 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Has anyone ever read "Rumble Fish" ?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:32 pm
@GregSchwab,
I'd think it would be interesting to be in either ancient roman times or the late 18th century.

Just give me a bucket of penicillin, some multivitamins, and a universal how-to book. I would rule them all.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 08:25 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
I'd think it would be interesting to be in either ancient roman times or the late 18th century.

Just give me a bucket of penicillin, some multivitamins, and a universal how-to book. I would rule them all.

Remember, he asked if we were born in the wrong era, so thats different from going back in time with provisions of another era you were already born in. Anybody would be in a dream world if we could all do that, I think.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:04 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Yeah, just send me back to 1500 with every significant book written since that time - I'll be legendary!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday,

Would you like to be born in a time when the closest thing to Tide with bleach was processed urine.

Would you like to be born in that time and not have a bucket of penicillin?

Also, we are already dreaming by wondering what time we would rather be born in. I don't think we can drop any farther from the tree of rationality.

Didymos,

Theory of evolution... we could write it, Didymos... we could write it.

philosopherqueen

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:32 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I believe I was born in the right era, but I was born in the wrong area. Arkansas is alittle far back in acceptance of certain things. I believe that if I was born in California or something like that I would be more comfortable.

I've also thought about going to another era to live. I thought what about Jane Austen's era, but how hard is that era for women. Especially an openly bi woman.

I just think that I have a very old soul with a new mind. Does that make sense?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:13 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Quote:
Didymos,

Theory of evolution... we could write it, Didymos... we could write it.
Evolution isn't the half of it - we could 'write' Don Quixote, and all of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets. We could 'write' Dostoevsky's novels and Tolstoy's work. Kant, Hume... the list goes on and on!

Didymos Thomas Videcorspoon - the world's greatest novelist, poet, scientist and philosopher.

Quote:
I believe I was born in the right era, but I was born in the wrong area. Arkansas is alittle far back in acceptance of certain things. I believe that if I was born in California or something like that I would be more comfortable.
Head to Fayetteville or Eureka Springs. Talk about some liberal towns. If you're in Pine Bluff or some backwater place like that, I feel your pain, but Arkansas has some gems (heheh).

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:13 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I would say that I should have been born in Athens during the times of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle, but with pederasty an acceptable practice that would rule out that thinking. Due to that, I think being born in this era is exciting. At no time in history has so many problems come to light with so much potential to solve them. Thus, I enjoy trying to be part of the solution and would not trade the opportunity for anything.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:16 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus,

philosopherqueen

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well yeah i've been living in a backwater place of phillips county...the armpit of arkansas if you've heard the place, but I've recently moved to conway, for my continuation of college. Hopefully it'll work out.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:04 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Quote:
Well yeah i've been living in a backwater place of phillips county...the armpit of arkansas if you've heard the place, but I've recently moved to conway, for my continuation of college. Hopefully it'll work out

Central Arkansas or Hendrix? Hendrix is supposed to be a great school.

philosopherqueen

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
central arkansas, hendrix is great but i got a full tuition ride at UCA and i can get my Ph.D in psychology there if i want. I'm majoring in psychology and minoring in philosophy

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:09 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

Also, we are already dreaming by wondering what time we would rather be born in. I don't think we can drop any farther from the tree of rationality.

Laughing I just think that its unfair to assume you can cheat and take inventory from the era we currently exist in, thats all.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Have you ever wondered if you were born in the wrong time era?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:19:58