Name Your Favorite Movies

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:35 pm
@philosopherqueen,
I am surprised it wasn't named yet but The Big Lebowski is the greatest philosophical movie of all time. I take that back. Not the greatest philosophical movie of all time but the greatest movie of all time. The script is genius and the plot is totally irrelevant. With top notch acting and directing even the most nonsensical plot can have the most profound meanings upon one's life.

Renn

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:51 pm
@Theaetetus,
Pan's Labyrinth- The director is very good at his job. I get so pulled into that story, love it so much.

The Lives Of Others- I think I got that right, I always mix it up with another film. Anyway, this film is about the Stasi Police. They were the secret police of East Germany. I only watched this film recently as research for my German Coursework but it was fantastic.

Titanic- I know. Two years ago I would never have put this here but I'm so much more sentimental these days.

Silence of the Lambs- Love watching this.

Schindler's List- Classic.

I can't remember one of my most favourite movies, I know.. I have an awful memory. I think it is Battle Arena...something like that. Where a group of Japanese school children are sent to some remote island as a survival kind of fight to the death game. Delicious, I know. ^^

de Silentio

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
@Renn,
I don't find that movie's affect the way I think, I don't know why. Sometimes I can think about the deeper aspects of a movie, but it's more about the feeling than the analyzing. Escaping the aesthetical aspect of movies is difficult for me.

Favorites:

- Shawshank Redemption
- Gladiator
- Jurassic Park (for some reason I love to see people get eaten by dinosaurs)
- For you anima-ists, I thoroughly enjoy Dragonball Z. But most people laugh at me when I say that.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:45 am
@de Silentio,
Quote:
I am surprised it wasn't named yet but The Big Lebowski is the greatest philosophical movie of all time. I take that back. Not the greatest philosophical movie of all time but the greatest movie of all time. The script is genius and the plot is totally irrelevant. With top notch acting and directing even the most nonsensical plot can have the most profound meanings upon one's life.

Classic of modern cinema, and consistently voted best stoner movie, a well deserved title.

I'm not sure it's the greatest philosophical move, or the best movie period, but it definitely ranks among the best.

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 01:29 am
@Pythagorean,
Shawshank Redemption is my all-time fav.

Caroline

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 04:41 am
@Pythagorean,
Devils Rejects.Wink

Labyrinth

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:26 am
@Caroline,
Fight Club
Oldboy
I know there's more, but I'm drawing a major blank now.

---------- Post added 09-05-2009 at 09:30 AM ----------

Farthender;17003 wrote:
When it comes to movies, I'm a big comedy guy. I really like Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers; Blades of Glory with Will Ferrell is a classic, along with Talladega Nights. My favorite movie of all time would have to be, though, Shrek 2. I've also recently seen some scenes from Dogma, and I would really like to see that movie. I also am a fan of Studio Ghibli movies, my favorite being either Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away.

I liked Office Space in that its comedy seems almost effortless. Swimming with Sharks is a great office comedy too, but Frank Whaley almost ruins it with some unconvincing acting.

Caroline

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:35 am
@Pythagorean,
I love Meet The Parents. I can watch that over and over, hilarious.

Labyrinth

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:49 am
@Caroline,
Seriously, Meet the Parents quotes can be a whole new thread.

"Jinxy cat, Jinxy cat, where are you? I...love...you."

Flight Attendant: I can assure you that your bag... will be placed safely below deck with the other luggage.
Greg: Oh, yeah? How do you know my bag will be safe below with the other luggage? Are you physically gonna take my bag beneath the plane? Are you gonna go with the guys with the earmuffs and put it in there?
Flight Attendant: No.
Greg: No? Okay. Then shut your pie hole... and listen to me when I say that I am finished... with the checking-of-the-bags conversation!

salima

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:56 am
@Pythagorean,
i think the funniest movie i ever saw was The End with Dom DeLuise and that guy who married the flying nun and dinah shore, i forgot his name.

When Harry Met Harry, my favorite chick flick...

my favorite downer-The Old Man and the Sea. almost needed shock treatments after that one.

favorite tear-jerker is It's a Wonderful Life hopefully no one here will remember this one enough to make fun of me

favorite philosophical movie Dead End, Humphrey Bogart

havent seen movies in a long time, but more are rattling around in my head somewhere...

chittyxvx

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 10:14 pm
@salima,
Wow. Is it possible that I have read the whole thread and missed mention of the talents of Darren Araonofsky, Francis Ford Coppola and Andrei Tarkovsky?

First off, Araonofsky's The Fountain is probably one of the most strikingly beautiful films that I have and will ever see. His directing is pure class, and manages to weave three narratives of differing time and location in with ease. There is constant leitmotifs of rings and gold. The visuals of the future plot are amazing, and done mostly without the benefit of CGI. Most may know of Araonofsky's work on Requiem for A Dream, but this movie blows that one out of the water.

Coppola's Apocalyspe Now is less of a movie and more of an experience. One that of course takes you down to the very core of man, and what lies within. I think it encaptulates perfectly Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness and questions american involvement in the Vietnam War. The journey up river to kill Kurtz shows the Willard and the crew at their most human, thrown into a world of violence and confusion, suffering from depression and coping with the moral complexities of war.

Tarkovsky's Stalker is also existentially brilliant. It really is a film I struggle to put into words. I really need to see it again.

PoeticVisionary

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 06:37 am
@Pythagorean,
I agree Apocalypse Now Definitely an experience, but a movie you can enjoy all the more if you read Joseph Conrad's story also.

Fahrenheit 451(w/Julie Christie - 1966)

Planet of the Apes (Charleton Heston) Considering the limited budget they had and time restraints I think the interpretation did Pierre Boulle's book justice.

War and Peace also in my opinion a great read.

Shatter Dead Quite a different approach on the Zombie genre.

An American Werewolf In London Probably my favorite movie.

Blade Runner Excellent story.

Gargoyles(1972) A made-for-television movie. Has a huge cult following.
Try to buy an original release DVD for under $100.

Doctor Zhivago (original version) What can I say about this movie that hasn't
already been said.

I could go on and on....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:20:08