Name Your Favorite Movies

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Name Your Favorite Movies

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:58 pm
Hello, everyone!

I was wondering if it wouldn't be nice to have some discussion about movies. Like, which movies are your top picks of all time. Which movies have moved you or affected you the most in your life?

One movie that has recently become one of my favourites is the movie Zardoz starring Sean Connery. This movie is futuristic. It is Science fiction fantasy which depicts a utopia that is populated by human-beings who have highly developed psychological abilities and who live in a beautiful place caled "the Vortex". There is also a heavily Nietzschean premise regarding the role that Sean Connery plays in relation to those god-like beings who dwell in the vortex. It is fantastic for someone who, like me, is interested in psychology and philosophy. However, I hasten to add that it may not be to the taste of those who like a lot of sophisticated special effects. It is not a modern movie as it was made in the early 1970's and with a low budget.

I would be very much interested if anyone else has seen Zardoz - to know what another's perspective and impressions of the movie might be like.

There are many other movies that I like, but I want to know some of other people's favourites, please.

Thanks Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 10:53 pm
@Pythagorean,
I've never seen Zardoz, but I'll have to look for it. Not only does the movie sound intellectually engaging, I really do enjoy watching movies with outdated special effects. In the older films, it's easier for me to appreciate the skill, or lack thereof, of the crew involved.

As for my favorites, that's tough. For comedy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life and The Life of Brian were both great. Clerks is also a favorite.

While I've only seen a few of his films, I really enjoy Akira Kurosawa's work.
Akira Kurosawa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a kid I was a big fan of westerns, especially Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter. If you are into that sort of film, Kurosawa's Yojimbo is right up your alley.

His film Dreams is simply beautiful. It's based on Kurosawa's dreams, hence the name, and consists of several different episodes. Oh, and Martin Scorsese is in the film.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 02:23 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Thomas, great selections and suggestions.

I shall have to look into Kurosawa's Dreams; and you say Scorsese is in it? Well, speaking of Scorsese, he made one of my other favourite films: The Age of Innocence; a film which is, of course, based upon the acclaimed Edith Wharton novel. His direction for this movie is some of the greatest that has ever been my pleasure to observe. Note that The Age of Innocence is a period piece and younger viewers may find it somewhat dry; so, once again not for all tastes but definitely one of my favourites.Smile

And hey! Look what I found; the trailer to Zardoz on YouTube:

YouTube - Trailer for Zardoz (1974)

And another clip from Zardoz to watch; it's the introduction at the beginning of the film:

YouTube - Zardoz - Introduction

de budding

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:13 am
@Pythagorean,
That film looks awesome Pyth, It's 'on its way' as I type. Thanks!

My favorite films, for pure aesthetic indulgence, are mostly anything from the Studio Ghibli collection of animated films, Spirited Away is of course the best but, Cat King, Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke are the all at the top of my list.

After those it would be Cube 2: Hypercube, everyone else watched it and said it was stupid because it had no begging or end let alone meaning but, me and my friend watched it three times and then we got it. The pre-story is hidden in the characters subtly and reveals its self at the end, if one's been paying enough attention that is. Without that it is just a load of people waking up in a 4-dimensional Cube and dying in the same 4D cube... even better some say Very Happy

YouTube - Princess Mononoke Trailer
YouTube - Cube 2 - Hypercube (2002) - Trailer
And of course...
YouTube - Spirited Away Trailer

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:03 pm
@de budding,
Hi, Dan!

Are you really going to buy Zardoz?!? If this is true I hope that we will be able to have a discussion on it. As I have said it is a film that has made a lasting impression on me. The way it portrays the utopia just blows me away.

As for the Studio Ghibli movies: thank you for recommending Spirited Away I see that it is an award winning film and the trailer looks good -I think I might buy me a copy. Thank you for posting the trailers!!

On a related note, I was wondering if you've ever seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, the anime movie? I've seen it once and really flipped for it. It really delves deeply into philosophy. It's rather expensive on DVD here in the states. I've been wanting to buy it for a long time. It is high on my list.

If you know of any other good anime films please, please tell me! I have seen Akira, Cowboy Beebop, and a few others and I'm going to be watching Paprika soon as I have just bought a copy of it. Paprika is about the blurring of the lines between fantasy and dreams and reality. It's supposed to be terrific. I will be watching it soon, I am just waiting for the right time to begin the viewing process! Smile

Also, we must have similar tastes because I am absolutely crazy about the movie Cube 2: Hypercube. I actually own a copy of it on DVD (which I have yet to open). I first saw it on cable and I love the whole many-worlds, parallel universes sort of idea. They did a real good job making that film. It is one of my all time favourites and it's good to know that I'm not alone with my opinion!! Smile

Farthender

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:24 pm
@Pythagorean,
When it comes to movies, I'm a big comedy guy. I really like Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers; Blades of Glory with Will Ferrell is a classic, along with Talladega Nights. My favorite movie of all time would have to be, though, Shrek 2. I've also recently seen some scenes from Dogma, and I would really like to see that movie. I also am a fan of Studio Ghibli movies, my favorite being either Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:56 pm
@Farthender,
Hey, everyone Smile I forgot to add the trailer to PaprikaSad. I would like to add it to this thread since I have already talked about it so here:

YouTube - Paprika Trailer

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:05 pm
@Farthender,
I liked national treasure, but the second was awful.Sad

I really liked fracture as well. The murder mystery involving the perfect crime or something.
And I'm sure most of u've seen the matrix, The first and second good, but the third was overrated with filler and was a piece of ----. I liked the idea of AI being the downfall of humanity, and how they make the matrix , however unorthodox, a quite possible situation, unless anybody can think otherwise:rolleyes:

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:47 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Jin Roe, Wolf BrigadePisoga -Anime4f - Watch Anime Online, Episodes, Stream

Have you heard of the light house of Alexandria? Well, think of that, only for anime.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:05 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

And I'm sure most of u've seen the matrix, The first and second good, but the third was overrated with filler and was a piece of ----. I liked the idea of AI being the downfall of humanity, and how they make the matrix , however unorthodox, a quite possible situation, unless anybody can think otherwise:rolleyes:

No, Holiday. I can't think otherwise.Wink Thank you so much for reminding us about AI. That's a movie that should be on my list because I have yet to see it.

I just wanted to add that I thought Minority Report was pretty good too, maybe not worth buying but certainly worth renting or viewing on cable.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:37 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
Pythagorean,

I sense a fellow anime-ist.

Your senses are sharp. Dark, unsettling, and intriguing, I can't begin to tell you what Paranoia Agent alone did to my mind!!

But compared to you I'm a newb so don't taze me bro!! Surprised

I have never heard of Bleach but that's about to change thanks to you. I'll check it out. I hope it's deeply diabolical!

Sorry to say I've never heard of Jin Roe, Wolf Brigade either. But thank you very, very, much for the link Smile

p.s. it maybe a good idea to create an anime only thread?? We could provide a general overview containing the classics and the best picks.

de budding

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:57 am
@Pythagorean,
YouTube - Ghost in the Shell - trailer

Ghost in the shell- I watched this when I was younger and it really made an impression on me, there is one scene where an android is on a boat explaining to a human why she is conscious; it goes it into great depth about how experience and memory create the soul, I loved that and it changed me for a while.

YouTube - Metropolis Trailer

Metropolis- this had a social-class and technological repercussions thing going, the society in the film now celebrates progress and technology and is super advance. The city they live in has like 5 levels to it, and a detective goes exploring this huge mega-city to solve a crime with swing music! it is so cute, they tried to squeeze a 1950 detective story into it (crazy japanese), I really liked it... but it wasn't that philosophical.

And yes Zardoz is on the way, give it 22-25 hours >.>
I'll make sure to watch it with close scrutiny then so we can discuss.

Dan

urangutan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 05:22 am
@de budding,
I can watch just about anything, the comedy of Monty Python, though their stage and sketch work is better, the original Aliens (with Sigorny) and the Exorcist for horror and the English new age from Trainspotting, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. I don't know if you have seen much of the New China Cinema, The Sent Down Girl which I think was directed by Joan Chen and the Bath House which is in a group of Movies centred on the upheaval that the new Dam created though it is only the backdrop. These were two great Movies.

I cannot go past anything that starred Steve Mc Queen. Sand Pebbles being the best. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the movie staring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleeson, the prelude of Colour of Money. Gleesons ability with the cue was astounding. I would have liked to see Paul and Steve do a movie together, they would either of clashed or brought the roof down.

Aedes

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:55 am
@urangutan,
Well, the closest to my heart is the Star Wars series, but the following are the greatest movies I've seen:

The three great Charlie Kaufmann movies -- Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Amadeus

Shawshank Redemption

Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman)

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:39 pm
@Aedes,
Hi, Paul Smile

I hope no one minds that I go a bit off topic here I just want to let everyone know that all of the original Star Trek series episodes are now available in high quality video for free online from CBS. No need to even sign up.

Here is the link: CBS Video: Star Trek - CBS.com

Smile

LouSalome

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:00 am
@Pythagorean,
Hope you don't mind random chiming in...I like talking about films. I'm pretty picky and strange with my tastes, though. I rather like costume dramas--anything historical I'll watch at least once.

I'm also fonder of older films (especially since I discovered TCM).

The Seventh Seal really was one of the most amazing films I have ever seen. Bergman takes some medieval ideology as well as post-modern and grinds it up into this startling, existential piece.

I also liked Gaslight

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:02 pm
@LouSalome,
Has anyone seen the movie

"Marat/Sade" -?

- or read the play in book form - ?

YouTube - MARAT/SADE [TRAILER]

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:

And yes Zardoz is on the way, give it 22-25 hours >.>
I'll make sure to watch it with close scrutiny then so we can discuss.

Dan

I will be waiting to discuss Zardoz with you.

BTW, excellent description of Metropolis. I totally agree with you. We should note that it was based upon the original silent version by German director Fritz Lang. Anyway, both are good.

Ghost in the shell is fantastic. I think the Japanese are the most philosophically oriented people in the world. They seem to be reaching for the heights and depths of reality all the time in their experimental movies. They make the viewer believe that life is worth living and exploring in psychological terms - they make life more interesting!

ltdaleadergt

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:46 am
@Pythagorean,
Time of the Gypsies and Underground by Emir Kusturica! Just amazing!

philosopherqueen

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:29 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
There's so many...but I do love the Monty Python movies.

Transformers was awesome to me, I don't know what it was, I thought it would be a bomb, but I saw it and was addicted.

American History X was good, it was about a transformation of skin head to a non skin head, if you can handle rough stuff, i recommend it.

Donnie Darko!!!!!!! How can I not mention that!!!

Alpha dog was actually good. I cried. I still might cry if I see it.

Then there's my usually, movies that were originally books. HP, LOTR, Pride and Prejudice (kira knightly version), and others

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Name Your Favorite Movies
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:15:09