Is education failing us?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

urangutan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 02:00 am
@urangutan,
Please forgive me, I may well be jumping the gun when I take spat with the concept of this school you talk about. It may not be anything like what I imagine.
THE GREEK THOUGHT SCHOOL. That is rediculous a proposal. It excludes all the sacrifices by others to defend this leisurely time enjoyed by elite Greeks of the time. It denegrates those who served at the leisure of said gatherers and to associate this froth with modern higher learning simply endorsing an elitism that cannot be shared by all.

Vasska

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 07:41 am
@urangutan,
You really seem to hate the education system in the current form. You want kids to roam free and learn when it wants too, you also fixate on a kid being able to play outside.

The instincts you talk about are being satisfied, a kid learns a language from scratch, purely amazing! School is something that gives a kid a framework in which it learns values, how to play with other kids (socialize), and obey the simple rules that make up our society. Many friends and relationships are the result of school.

About the Greek thought school; I like the idea of giving this in a lesser form after reading some more about it. I also, in other topics, made a few point of other subjects that should be taught in order to make sure kids don't derail. The subject i want to see is dedicated to learn how to handle information. The topic can be found here.

Before we go further with the discussions I must ask you to please use whitespace between your arguments. This tedious mess of arguments starting right after another ends makes it almost impossible to read. It's only an extra enter you know, and it makes it easier to read and understand.

urangutan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 05:22 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska, sorry no. I do not wish them to roam free. A child must learn but it does not take seven years to cover the basics of reading writing and arithmatic. Now if that is the task of primary school I am sure that they can provide enough time to enjoy both worlds. In this day and age where children in a general sense are considered overweight, lazy and marginally physical, the world wants young children to sit and obey lessons in a walled room. Move from one room to another for the entirety of their education. Ever heard the saying healthy body healthy mind.

In Australia we have more spare room than any where else just about and I know that in your world it is limited, so a child will leave the bedroom of a morning, enter the class room and return to the lounge room for the remainder of the day.
I am not trying to promote great sports like soccer, the olympic events and the like rather, what the child considers play. Every parent wants their child to succeed, be it in sport or academically and how often is youth wasted on regimented rules and regulations in a world of competition that leads nowhere. Be the Ronaldo or woods in sport and from the age of five the child is conscripted to this ideal. Be a doctor, a lawyer, a great buisness mind and from pre-school parents are squabling for position in the best so as to give all the advantages at the feet of their child. This is education from parents in the world today and then their is school which is drumming the same beat to children from the age of five until they leave.

The death of Socates is testament to this all being what he detested and Albert was proof that a great mind isn't solely the creation of the education system, he was liberated to follow his dream. What ever else there is, is simply forcing dreams into laps, like musical chairs the game is stacked. It is not education, it is brainwashing.

urangutan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 05:28 pm
@urangutan,
Vasska, if it does take seven years to teach the basics that is because much of that time is wasted on trying to control the class that has lost interest or is distracted by the child who wants to play. Is there a school anywhere that rather than sends a disruptive child to the office or principal, sends the child outside to play.

Vasska

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:22 am
@urangutan,
You can just edit your post if you want to post some more, instead of using two separate posts. Every post made by you has an edit button. Anyhow thank you for using whitespace.

The fact that primary school takes 7 years to complete is because not all time is wasted on learning. When i was at school we had a lot of playtime, we did musicals, crafts, sports, read books, watched the (kid-friendly) news and discussed it as kids and so much more. We even got every Wednesday and Friday off (every school has it here) to play some more with our friends.
Primary school is not alone for learning to read, write and calculate.

Of course parents want their kids to be a prodigy, but thats the parents fault and not the educational system. Someone like Albert Einstein did not function in school, you are right about that. However he was (at later age) a prodigy, and often prodigy's need a different form of education because they are so much different.

urangutan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 04:00 am
@Vasska,
Vasska, it is more appropriately read as timing. Not everything is timed to the schedule of the next. Einstein is a perfect example of that. The disruptive child is just not as ready to be in the class, don't force them, allow them their space and reel them in as they begin to turn. It is a simple procedure, easily catered for and with no need for parent, principal or drug intervention.

Vasska

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:44 am
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:
Vasska, it is more appropriately read as timing. Not everything is timed to the schedule of the next. Einstein is a perfect example of that. The disruptive child is just not as ready to be in the class, don't force them, allow them their space and reel them in as they begin to turn. It is a simple procedure, easily catered for and with no need for parent, principal or drug intervention.

I can agree with you that the timing for each kid is different and schools should or should not adjust to that. I've had the luck to skip a class, others were held back because it was better that way. Anyhow, if this is what you were implying from the start, you sure took the long way to do so.

ian23

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:59 am
@de budding,
is education failing us? education is one of the reason why we keep on living like this. i cant imagine without it in our lives...

urangutan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 07:47 am
@ian23,
I don't know if you look outside much Ian23 but most people don't understand the education they were given and many are completely unaware of the implication of the education they are recieving.

I don't know how you live either, so I cannot comment on you personally but in our western society the only thing we really build that will last past our own lives is the refuse heaps that we cater for each week. Most of which is junk we never wanted in the first place. We are not educated we are brainwashed.

If you want to consider this chat forum and all facets of the considerations people have for each other, both here and in reality, as areason for education that is fine however, when we live in the above comments and dream in this one, we are not educated.

Vasska

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:46 am
@urangutan,
ian23 wrote:
is education failing us? education is one of the reason why we keep on living like this. i cant imagine without it in our lives...

Urangutan already said splendidly, but to reinforce his argument I want to say something too. You only reply on the title Is education failing us, which on itself is a trivial question and could be answered in both ways.

However I've pointed out during the first post, and during the discussion some point that I'd like to see improve upon, this is why I asked the question is education failing us. I don't want education to go away. I love it, but how this knowledge is passed from teacher to student is what I question.

I want to ask you the question if you even read the post to begin with?

urangutan wrote:
I don't know if you look outside much Ian23 but most people don't understand the education they were given and many are completely unaware of the implication of the education they are recieving.

I don't know how you live either, so I cannot comment on you personally but in our western society the only thing we really build that will last past our own lives is the refuse heaps that we cater for each week. Most of which is junk we never wanted in the first place. We are not educated we are brainwashed.

If you want to consider this chat forum and all facets of the considerations people have for each other, both here and in reality, as areason for education that is fine however, when we live in the above comments and dream in this one, we are not educated.

Wow, great comment!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:26:57