Good vs. Evil

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

equation

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:29 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
What is good, what is evil?

As far as I'm concerned they are both manifestations of the same thing which is the selfish ego.

i agree with that, there is no such things as good or evil in materialistic world. in the spiritual world, the same thing can be good a million times and the same thing can be evil a million times at the same time for different person, and hell at different times for the same person.
good or evil is a very powerful binary logic boost of the heart, which will end us to become highly egoistic irrational individuals like hitler and christ.

Fido

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:06 am
@equation,
equation wrote:
i agree with that, there is no such things as good or evil in materialistic world. in the spiritual world, the same thing can be good a million times and the same thing can be evil a million times at the same time for different person, and hell at different times for the same person.
good or evil is a very powerful binary logic boost of the heart, which will end us to become highly egoistic irrational individuals like hitler and christ.

Good and evil may not be physical realities; but what is that? If these qualities as moral realities did not affect people's lives they would have no reality. It is people that make moral realities real the moment they realize they have a choice in their own affairs.

boagie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:32 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Good and evil may not be physical realities; but what is that? If these qualities as moral realities did not affect people's lives they would have no reality. It is people that make moral realities real the moment they realize they have a choice in their own affairs.

Fido,Smile

:)Actually, evil is a Christian concept, particulary as it degrades everything natural, very desire, very natural impulse is said to be evil. In Christianities nihilistic function it devalues this world for that of its imaginary world. It is true, evil is a Christian creation, along with hell and eternal damnation. Judaism, Christianities mother religion, did not of itself create such a wretched situtation as hell to torment the living. Morality I think is quite possiable without the concept of evil, evil is the Christian evaluaton of the earth, other traditions and morality itself can do without this Christian concept very nicely. As long as the term evil connotes being in violation of some supernatural being it will have a pathogenic character-------lets just stick with good and bad!!!:cool:

Fido

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:37 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Fido,Smile

:)Actually, evil is a Christian concept, particulary as it degrades everything natural, very desire, very natural impulse is said to be evil. In Christianities nihilistic function it devalues this world for that of its imaginary world. It is true, evil is a Christian creation, along with hell and eternal damnation. Judaism, Christianities mother religion, did not of itself create such a wretched situtation as hell to torment the living. Morality I think is quite possiable without the concept of evil, evil is the Christian evaluaton of the earth, other traditions and morality itself can do without this Christian concept very nicely. As long as the term evil connotes being in violation of some supernatural being it will have a pathogenic character-------lets just stick with good and bad!!!:cool:

If you wish to build a model of the world out of antipods, you may as well blame it all on the Christians as anyone else. In fact, humanity has usually found itself betwen extremes, and so, good and bad, virtue and vice as abstractions may never have entered their vocabulary. But, all people everywhere have the sense to pick better from worse even if a choice between good and bad never presented itself. Thanks, and hey.
That does remind me though, since I have Jewish people in the family, but there is some difference of opinion among Jews as to whether there is an after life. I trust that many believe God blesses people in a tangible fashion, and does not burn people in hell, but may punish the child for the sins of the father. What the notion of heaven and hell does is give people hope of justice before an impartial judge. Justice is essential to life, but none of us would get too far if we were to throw our lives and our children into the maw of vengeance like Kriemhild in the Nibelungenlied. Leaving things to God and to time may have reduced the color and quality of our lives, and we all may care less for honor, which is bad; but we have life which is the ultimate of good.

boagie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
@Fido,
Fido,Smile

No need to build a model, it was here long before you and I came along. Outside of your sensiabilities however, I find myself in agreement overall with what you have to say.Very Happy

equation

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 06:47 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

there is no such things as moral realities, they actually are spiritual realities. LOVE, FAITH, KINDNESS, HOPE, these are spiritual realities. man specifically RELIGION modified their quantities into something moral. i agree with you that there are moral realities, which actually is the spiritual realities that has lodged into our mind these long. when we mean MORAL, we mean something or someone Judging us.

Fido

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
@equation,
equation wrote:
there is no such things as moral realities, they actually are spiritual realities. LOVE, FAITH, KINDNESS, HOPE, these are spiritual realities. man specifically RELIGION modified their quantities into something moral. i agree with you that there are moral realities, which actually is the spiritual realities that has lodged into our mind these long. when we mean MORAL, we mean something or someone Judging us.

Show me a spirit. Seriously, it is morals that are most often opposed to physic, as in the French: Morale, as opposite the physical condition of troops. That has the essential meaning of esprit de corp; but to substitute spiritual for moral brings a lot of irrationality into the mix that morals alone does not connote. A moral benefit has much evidence in physical well being, but a spiritual improvement is difficult to demonstrate since many become more holy as their suffering debilitates them, and drags them to death's door. In fact we can only surmise the existence of a moral right from a social benefit, but the chain between cause and effect is as fine as a puppet's string, so every effect is impossible to measure with the finest of scales. All we have to explore moral reality is the scope of insight. Sans that is sans everything.
Morals does imply a certain moral judgement, but this judgement takes place at all times. Morals are what a person is, and they are the foundation rock of every person in society, so we measure ourselves and others by the same rod, and at an early age children learn what behaviors, and what characters are covered with honor and meaning, and which are dispicable. So morals cannot properly be separated from culture, or custom, or character. They cannot ever be correctly percieved out of constext.

boagie

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 11:06 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
What is good, what is evil?

As far as I'm concerned they are both manifestations of the same thing which is the selfish ego.

Pessimist,Smile

:)Are you people talking about good and evil as if evil was of some supernatural quality, instead of the logical opposite to good, which would be bad. What is it about this topic that people cannot seem to grasp that good and bad are biologically dependent, not a great mystery. I like, its good, I do not like, it is bad, lose the term evil, it has to many Christian connotations corrupting the understanding, evil has nothing, nothing to do with reality. Ego, is that not a self evaluation positive or negative?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:31:16