Good vs. Evil

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Taoist texts have passages about good and evil, yet Taoism is not dualistic.

And you laugh at the notion of religion and mythology without dualism, but when you have had your moment, some study would do you good. Even in the Judeo-Christian tradition, we find words against dualism. God told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. When they did, they were cast out of paradise. The adoption of dualism is what pushed Adam and Eve out of paradise.

Quote:

What is yin and yang then?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:31 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Two opposite and complimentary aspects of one phenomenon.

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:54 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Two opposite and complimentary aspects of one phenomenon.

Darkness and light, creation and destruction the way I've read it.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:24 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Quote:
Darkness and light, creation and destruction the way I've read it.

There's more to it. Yin Yang is a relationship. We might view darkness and light, creation and destruction in terms of yin yang.

Justin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:33 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Darkness and light creates balance. You make the choice as to which you would much rather be involved in. Darkness doesn't necessarily mean evil either. Darkness is referring to the night and light to the day. Both needed in creation yet none are evil unless man make it so.

boagie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

And you laugh at the notion of religion and mythology without dualism, but when you have had your moment, some study would do you good. Even in the Judeo-Christian tradition, we find words against dualism. God told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. When they did, they were cast out of paradise. The adoption of dualism is what pushed Adam and Eve out of paradise.

Didymos,Smile

:)Yes, it is the apple of duality, and duality is a focus for Christianity, without duality you cannot have sin, what would god do with his wrath? In the east the focus is on the oneness of all reality, this is the revealation to be had, duality is considered the illusion, the veil of maya.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:59 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Quote:
Yes, it is the apple of duality, and duality is a focus for Christianity, without duality you cannot have sin, what would god do with his wrath? In the east the focus is on the oneness of all reality, this is the revealation to be had, duality is considered the illusion, the vail of maya.

I think we can have sin without duality, but sins seem to be human errors rooted in dualistic misconceptions. As for God and wrath, we see this in OT stories and the point is that sin is destructive.
While not all Christians accept my view on the matter, most probably disagree entirely, but I would argue that, as with much of the east's instruction, Christian literature also suggests that duality is illusory and something to overcome. That's why Adam and Eve were directed not to eat the apple, because the dualism gives rise to sin.

boagie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I think we can have sin without duality, but sins seem to be human errors rooted in dualistic misconceptions. As for God and wrath, we see this in OT stories and the point is that sin is destructive.
While not all Christians accept my view on the matter, most probably disagree entirely, but I would argue that, as with much of the east's instruction, Christian literature also suggests that duality is illusory and something to overcome. That's why Adam and Eve were directed not to eat the apple, because the dualism gives rise to sin.

Didymos,Smile

SmileI have never heard that interpretation from a Christian, why then does god deny access to the oneness of reality? In the Buddhist garden, there are guards at the gate, but there is a beckoning, saying do not be afraid, come into this realization come into the garden.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:12 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
I have never heard that interpretation from a Christian, why then does god deny access to the oneness of reality? In the Buddhist garden, there are guards at the gate, but there is a beckoning, saying do not be afraid, come into this realization come into the garden.

I'm not so sure God does deny access to the oneness of reality. The story of Adam and Eve should advise us against making their mistake.

SummyF

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:07 pm
@philosopherqueen,
i think this idea of good/evil comes out of the organization of society in history.
1st Time this idea was introduced in metapyshics( which in turn lead to politics) which did control an area was PERSIA(an empire) then as time went on other sofisticated empires used

but when the question comes from the social connotations we have about each, it is based on some of the historical things that we have defined internationally, national, and individually on actions that each have.

in the western world evil internationally IS defined as nazism, religious fundamentalism, ect... ( with that you can figure out the other many perspectives {individual/ societal})

but this evil and good can be seen on each prespecitve on how we view these things in those three perspectives as self interest

what does not benefit me can ultimately become evil vice versa

boagie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:02 pm
@SummyF,
SummyF wrote:
i think this idea of good/evil comes out of the organization of society in history.
1st Time this idea was introduced in metapyshics( which in turn lead to politics) which did control an area was PERSIA(an empire) then as time went on other sofisticated empires used

but when the question comes from the social connotations we have about each, it is based on some of the historical things that we have defined internationally, national, and individually on actions that each have.

in the western world evil internationally IS defined as nazism, religious fundamentalism, ect... ( with that you can figure out the other many perspectives {individual/ societal})

but this evil and good can be seen on each prespecitve on how we view these things in those three perspectives as self interest

what does not benefit me can ultimately become evil vice versa

summyF,Smile

Welcome I see this is your firt post. One statement by a renouned mythologist by the name of Joseph Campbell which really rang true to me was. "No matter what you do, it will be evil to somebody," I thought later to add to this, and what you do not do, that two will be evil to somebody,so to your own sweet self be true.

ltdaleadergt

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 07:26 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
Unkowable. Is that what you are trying to say?

( Like moral skepticism? If so I agree.)

I do not have any idea what moral skepticism so dont know Very Happy but what I meant is that if evil did not exist we would than obviously all do good and we do not know that we are doing good but this meant that since we do not know what evil is than we cannot know what good can be since good i believe in dependent on evil!

the thinker

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:14 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Words are helpful, and can convey meaning. However, in the case in which there is something eternal--i.e. evil or good or whatever--words will be little help in "defining" this eternal thing. Words are very specific, and these concepts are not.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:28 pm
@the thinker,
Good gives virtue. You don't need to see evil as a relative point to contrive good. You just need wisdom, creative soul and every once in a while one needs to rely upon the heart. Those things allow you to see the true virtue in actions, the virtue that is not selfish, but everlasting.Smile

Fido

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Good gives virtue. You don't need to see evil as a relative point to contrive good. You just need wisdom, creative soul and every once in a while one needs to rely upon the heart. Those things allow you to see the true virtue in actions, the virtue that is not selfish, but everlasting.Smile

Society gives virtue as a standard of behavior, but that will always contribute to the survival of society, which is considered and obejective good. Look at Beowolf as a prehistoric hero, slaying the dragon, and being slayed, but ultimately leaving his people without his defense so they were defeated by others and enslaved. Is it any wonder critics could consider him as Adam relying upon his own strength against the evil one, and taking humanity down with him?

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:23 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Society gives virtue as a standard of behavior, but that will always contribute to the survival of society, which is considered and obejective good.
Quote:

Fine. Society's good and innovation for the betterment expressed as a coalescent is what gives virtue. Because an effect of one's cause is only going to happen when that one's cause is part of a relationship with the effect. (relative points are needed). Something is not really relative when both points are within one's self.:rolleyes:.

Fido

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:27 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Fido wrote:
Society gives virtue as a standard of behavior, but that will always contribute to the survival of society, which is considered and obejective good.
Quote:

Fine. Society's good and innovation for the betterment expressed as a coalescent is what gives virtue. Because an effect of one's cause is only going to happen when that one's cause is part of a relationship with the effect. (relative points are needed). Something is not really relative when both points are within one's self.:rolleyes:.

Could you try that again in English?

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:53 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Fido wrote:
Could you try that again in English?

lol ok. Yes society gives virtue, but true virtue only through it's good. True virtue is coalescent (everyone is thinking of the betterment of everyone else while still maintaining a balance of selfishness). There is no virtue in being isolated and selfish. People must rely on other people to be virtuous, thus why to have a 'coalescent' take on actions and their causality. Since other people are part of a relationship of any sort regardless of how minimal, they still exist in your social system; their actions are the effect of your actions.

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:16 pm
@Holiday20310401,
This is interesting. I personally cannot see how good is not a sliging scale of good and less good, its all about maximization of positive outcome, maybe its a little too machiavellian but I simply cannot see why it is not correct to consider good in this way. it is not about good or evil, just maximization of results. The problem is ensuring your outcome. Your hypothetical imperative is useless if you cannot measure its efficacy and ammend it after it has been put into practice. It seems that once a set of objectives is decided, statistical anaysis and other mathematical and logical systems can dictate our actions. Of course trial and error will always be in play, but the human race is adaptive and so are the afformentined systems.

equation

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:21 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
What is good, what is evil?

As far as I'm concerned they are both manifestations of the same thing which is the selfish ego.

i agree with that, there is no such things as good or evil in materialistic world. in the spiritual world, the same thing can be good a million times and the same thing can be evil a million times at the same time for different person, and hell at different times for the same person.
good or evil is a very powerful binary logic boost of the heart, which will end us to become highly egoistic irrational individuals like hitler and christ.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 03:32:10