Where do I start?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where do I start?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:01 am
I'm just wondering if there is any one book I should read before I dive into philosophy. I'm actually reading Ken Wilber's "A Brief History of Everything" and it has completely fascinated me. Is there another introductory level philosophy book that will prepare me for all that philosophy can offer? Should I just take a class?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 08:49 am
@404erased,
A class would be useful - a college course, that is. Beware of online offers of this and that, better to just read a book.

For anyone first moving into philosophy, I always recomend Bertrand Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy". He covers several significant issues in philosophy, and is a wonderfully clear and engaging writer. After that, try Plato's "Euthyphro", "Crito", and "The Apology". These three dialogues will be a great introduction to the Socratic method. There are a number of other texts which would be useful to you, but honestly, If you read the Russell and Plato, you might as well go ahead and find a decent history of philosophy set. Learn the history of the subject so you have some perspective on where it's been and where it's going. This would be the best thing you could do. Once again, I recomend Russell's.

Harby phil

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Thanks, I was interested in starting off somewhere too. I'll check out "The Problems of Philosophy", hopefully it'll help ease me into Philosophy better.

jhagadurn

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 01:34 am
@404erased,
Howdy,
I've just finished my first semester of philosophy in college, and I liked it so much I'm taking two more next semester, both of them history style classes. The one I just completed was more like an overview, covering free-will, ethics, marxism, and the socratic method, although briefly.

I've also started a small collection of books, mostly by my two favorite authors, Camus and Kierkegaard, but I've got some of Sartre's stuff, and an introductory text book to Kant, which I'm having to take slowly.

My question is, would I benefit from this "The Problems of Philosophy" book, or should I move to something else?

Thanks for the advice.

boagie

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:30 am
@jhagadurn,
Old Bertie was no slouch!!!Very Happy The problems of philosophy EXCELLENT!Wink

jhagadurn

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:12 pm
@boagie,
I'll look it up then. Probably after Christmas, I suffer from broke college student symptoms, but hopefully a holiday will fix that..

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
@jhagadurn,
A vicious disease.

Check this out:
The Problems of Philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where do I start?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:47:49