quick question?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » quick question?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:21 pm
Could someone tell me what that little scales is for ,it is on the right hand corner of my posts. apparently I have some reputations!
Also,when it says (1 VIEWNG) is that guests or is it anybody?

pilgrimshost

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:18 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Smile :cool: :rolleyes:

de Silentio

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Do you have '10 Reputation points'? I ask because this is what I have, and can't find no way to add to these points.

pilgrimshost

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:49 pm
@de Silentio,
yes, how did i get them. at school they were a bad thing,it ment you were a 'bad boy'Smile !

de Silentio

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:50 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Justin updated the site today. Maybe this is a new feature?

pilgrimshost

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:53 pm
@de Silentio,
perplexity put something in the suggestions about ratings or something but non of my posts say it was because a specific one!

pilgrimshost

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:16 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Justin, Do You Know What These Reputation Points Mean?

Justin

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:37 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Hang on, I'm going to explain these tomorrow. It's getting very late right now but people will be able to give reputation points only after they have earned that right. I'll explain it more in detail tomorrow. You are also welcome to look for yourself here: VB Manual - Take a look down the page on the left at User Reputation.

perplexity

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 04:15 am
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
perplexity put something in the suggestions about ratings or something but non of my posts say it was because a specific one!

huh?

I happen to reckon that it is not such a good idea to rate members, threads, or postings.

With this sort of thing the need above all else is to consider the practicality of it, what has actually happened when it was tried elsewhere.

Forums that I have visited before have a method to rate threads but I never took any notice of it one way or the other and that is the problem: the result depends mostly upon who is or is not in the habit of taking part, and to work well you an unusually large constituency, large enough to achieve a meanginful result in terms of average opinion.

The road to hell, as they say, is paved with good intentions.

--- RH.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 07:15 am
@perplexity,
Sorry, perplexity if i miss understood you but I was refering to;

[INDENT]''A poll might be conducted for instance with an individuals results displayed thus, as the heading to each particular reply.'' -philosophers suggestions 10-2-2006
[/INDENT]

perplexity

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:12 am
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
Sorry, perplexity if i miss understood you but I was refering to;[INDENT]''A poll might be conducted for instance with an individuals results displayed thus, as the heading to each particular reply.'' -philosophers suggestions 10-2-2006
[/INDENT]

Now I see the confusion, but I'd thought that the context was clear enough:

In order to ameliorate this an idea that I have therefore been toying with is to design a forum with each subscriber invited to subscribe once and once only to each particular question or proposition proposed per thread.
A poll might be conducted for instance with an individual's result displayed thus, as the heading to each particular reply.

"for instance" means to refer the particular question or proposition per thread. Perhaps you are not yet familiar with forum threads with a public poll as their prescribed theme (a very different matter to competitively rating the quality of different threads).
That is how they are supposed to work, with the subesequent replies expected to explain why the poster voted for a particular option.

--- RH.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
@perplexity,
I agree it would be a bad idea. What do you think about ahat i said about including a descusion space on the main menu page for non engaged people to generate ideas for debate?

perplexity

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 02:47 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Let us not jump the gun.

For the time being there's but a handful of regular posters here to cope with.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:45 am
@perplexity,
Sure, but I was thinking for the, five or six that are regular and 'hover' for a while without debate. Maybe for the future, huh

Justin

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:57 am
@pilgrimshost,
Please be patient fellas. We are going to have a debate section on this forum and I do feel that thread ratings and polls are a great idea. Right now I'm trying to establish permissions based on user rank.

Much to do and limited time to get it all done. This forum will unfold and it will be only with the helpful suggestions and contributions of people like yourselves.

Thanks again for your thoughts, ideas and insight, all of which is being carefully considered and eventually implemented.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
@Justin,
Who would rate the theads or posts, would it be like 'commenting'. I was also wondering if there could be an area for explaining things in philosophy, for instance if a term is not understood then it would be posted asking the question and a more knowledgable member could helpfully answer it. Maybe it could function in an unoffical teaching capacity for the less skilled philosophers.

Justin

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
@pilgrimshost,
Well, certain members of certain ranks would be able to rate threads or posts. We don't want a brand new user coming here and rating posts without verifying that they aren't another T-T-T. I'll set it up this evening.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:23 am
@Justin,
Ok that sounds great then, can you tell me what those recomendation points mean,please. Also how does someone get promoted:)

Justin

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:11 pm
@pilgrimshost,
Lol, yes, I will. First they have to be set and established, then I have to write up an FAQ on them. More FAQs will be added soon.

perplexity

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:15 pm
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
I was also wondering if there could be an area for explaining things in philosophy, for instance if a term is not understood then it would be posted asking the question and a more knowledgable member could helpfully answer it. Maybe it could function in an unoffical teaching capacity for the less skilled philosophers.

Most such questions that I have seen may be satisfied within a minute or two, simply by priming google.com with a word or two.

A lot of threads would work much better, come to think of it, if those involved were in the first instance to consult a standard dictionary to see what a word is supposed to mean, instead of discussing what it ought to mean.

-- RH.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » quick question?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:50:25