Not ANOTHER newbie...!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Not ANOTHER newbie...!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:00 am
Hi, I'm Alan Masterman and I discovered this site accidentally just this evening.

I studied philosophy in the 1980's at uni. I really wanted to do psychology, but there was too much competition for places. I've never used it directly in any employment since then, but philosophy is like malaria - you think you've recovered, but once you've had it, it's always in your blood, ready to break out again at any time.

If I have a special interest, it's the standoff between (on the one hand) science and rational/secular society and, on the other, religious belief. I think 'religion' will eventually come off second best in this contest.

Anyway, enough of my bumbling. Let's get down to solving the world's problems!

jgweed

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:52 am
@Alan Masterman,
Some people are called to philosophy, if they have ears to hear her siren singing, and are unable to turn away from her despite the demands of living in the world. And it may be that the opposite of what one would expect happens, that one can bring to philosophy the experience with the world, and make one's thinking deeper.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Jebediah

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:22 pm
@Alan Masterman,
Alan Masterman;167665 wrote:

If I have a special interest, it's the standoff between (on the one hand) science and rational/secular society and, on the other, religious belief. I think 'religion' will eventually come off second best in this contest.

Hey Alan, we are discussing that very thing here:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/secondary-branches-philosophy/philosophy-religion/7362-philosophical-conception-god-age-reason-science.html

mark noble

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@Jebediah,
Hi Alan,

Welcome, indeed. As you say - "Once in the blood..."

Mark...

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:33 pm
@mark noble,
Happy accident I hope.
Yes you may have anaemic blood which philosophy makes polycythemic.
Good to have you here, hope your don't just lixivate and transfuse us occasionally.
Welcome and congratulation you just made a wise choice by being here.
What books have you cracked recently?

Alan Masterman

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:59 am
@Jebediah,
thanks for drawing my attention to this thread, Jebediah - it looks fairly sweeping, and I don't have time to formulate a contribution right at this moment, but I hope to do so over the weekend!

---------- Post added 05-29-2010 at 03:05 AM ----------

sometime sun;168782 wrote:
Happy accident I hope.
Yes you may have anaemic blood which philosophy makes polycythemic.
Good to have you here, hope your don't just lixivate and transfuse us occasionally.
Welcome and congratulation you just made a wise choice by being here.
What books have you cracked recently?

Hi sometime sun,

Just recently I seem to be going through a Russell phase - right now, reading through Mysticism and Logic.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:27 pm
@Alan Masterman,
Alan Masterman;170031 wrote:
right now, reading through Mysticism and Logic.

Welcome aboard, Alan. As it happens, way back in the 1970's, I applied for entry to the Uni of Sydney as a mature-age student (ripe old age of 20-something) and sat an exam, the bulk of which was the text of, and a series of questions on, that very essay, which represents the side of Russell I like best. This general subject became the basis of what I studied via an Hons in Comparative Religion. Still at it, and considering going back to complete my much deferred M Phil in the same subject area, starting 2011.

Alan Masterman

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:53 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170180 wrote:
Welcome aboard, Alan. As it happens, way back in the 1970's, I applied for entry to the Uni of Sydney as a mature-age student (ripe old age of 20-something) and sat an exam, the bulk of which was the text of, and a series of questions on, that very essay, which represents the side of Russell I like best. This general subject became the basis of what I studied via an Hons in Comparative Religion. Still at it, and considering going back to complete my much deferred M Phil in the same subject area, starting 2011.

We seem to have a bit in common, jeeprs! I did my BA externally at UNE, 1978-1985, when I was thirty-odd, then in 1986 I went on to a full-time Honours year at Macquarie. Coming up for retirement in a couple of years and I look forward to dropping in on a few seminars around the place.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Not ANOTHER newbie...!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:27:12