Hi

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:21 pm
I'm new to these forums. I'm Michael and I am NOT a expert in philosophy by any means Razz, but it does interest me as a possible field to major in before going into a psychology major. However, I'm uncertain if this will be my course of action or not.

mister kitten

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 06:22 pm
@faceofbear,
Hoi Michael.
Where there is philosophy there need not be philosophy experts.
Where there is philosophy there need not be philosophers?
Enjoy the forums and welcome.

jgweed

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 06:58 pm
@faceofbear,
When in school, at least for the first two years, you have the luxury of not committing yourself to any major and have the time to at least sample different fields. Many of us changed majors at least once or twice during the exploration process; I myself went from Literature to History to Philosophy, rather easy steps because each of these subjects blended with the others in many areas. So, too, with philosophy and psychology; there are alliances between the two forged almost at their beginnings.
Our Members represent many different stages in philosophical thinking, from the beginner to the more knowledgeable, from the Identity who desires to discuss positions and questions from an intellectual and "philosophical" viewpoint to one who wishes to participate in more decidedly academic exercises. There is room in this community for all who authentically wish to join intellectual dialogues with Others.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:47 pm
@faceofbear,
faceofbear;161375 wrote:
I'm new to these forums. I'm Michael and I am NOT a expert in philosophy by any means Razz, but it does interest me as a possible field to major in before going into a psychology major. However, I'm uncertain if this will be my course of action or not.

If you don't mind me saying so; when I was hanging around a university trying to pick up an education on the wind, people seemed to consider psychology a rinkydink major, and I am certain philosophy is not much higher in anyone estimation... My kid the attorney graduated owing a hundred and twenty thousand for his education and paid it off in five years... His uncle, the psychologist, at 57 may still be paying his loans off...Do something where you can earn some money...It may be true that the majority of people graduating do not work in the field they were educated in... I cannot say with certainty... A diploma says two things about any person: That they are educable, and they can finish something they start... Those are the sorts of people other people like to hire...But; it is the poor who most need philosophy, and you do not want to need your education, but to be able to enjoy it for itself, for the pleasure of knowing.... Don't you???

sometime sun

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:30 am
@Fido,
Take your time and give us a try, we are not as hard nosed as you might fear.
Welcome and take your time before you give up.
We wont give up on you.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.16 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:50:14