Just signed on

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144254 wrote:
Sorry to be harsh, but what I see is empty rethoric, I would sorely like some concrete evidence of your thesis.

Too often I see things that only fits into an imaginary idealistic world.

While I am a materialist, I understand that philosophy cannot only encompass material things. If we don't hold our stances only close enough to examine them, our minds will crumble under the weight of abnegation when faced with contradictory information. You must have a healthy merging of science and philosophy in order to maintain a healthy mind. If we can benefit off of knowledge of things that work in our perspective reality, we should, but we shouldn't be too sure that our laws are universal. Humans can never actually find truth and be certain of it, scientific understanding grows; it is never certain. While I think it highly improbable that you are an illusion, if I found out you were, imagine the denial my brain would go through.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:10 pm
@Theologikos,
Theologikos;144264 wrote:
While I am a materialist, I understand that philosophy cannot only encompass material things. If we don't hold our stances only close enough to examine them, our minds will crumble under the weight of abnegation when faced with contradictory information. You must have a healthy merging of science and philosophy in order to maintain a healthy mind. If we can benefit off of knowledge of things that work in our perspective reality, we should, but we shouldn't be too sure that our laws are universal. Humans can never actually find truth and be certain of it, scientific understanding grows; it is never certain. While I think it highly improbable that you are an illusion, if I found out you were, imagine the denial my brain would go through.
Then enjoy your imaginary idealistic world, live well and prosper!

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:10 pm
@Theologikos,
Ops, I neglected to give you evidence! You provided it yourself. The flatness of the Earth was a known. But it shouldn't have been a known for the philosophers.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:22 pm
@EJinVA,
Technically, knowledge is truth, but then so is communication when you consider that if you are miscommunicating it is no better than lying, and if you are deliberatly distorting the truth, you are denying to others what they need to thrive and survive... Only when we know all there is to know are we capable of self government and of making reasoned choices on any subject...Those who control the truth, control knowledge, and they have the means to control all of society..

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:25 PM ----------

Theologikos;144264 wrote:

Others will label you...Let them, but life comes at you too fast to be burdened with anything that keeps you from getting out of the way PDQ.

There is no division between science and philosophy, but there is certainly a distinction...

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:28 PM ----------

Theologikos;144268 wrote:
Ops, I neglected to give you evidence! You provided it yourself. The flatness of the Earth was a known. But it shouldn't have been a known for the philosophers.

The earth is flat, as a practical matter, and as a geographical matter is is spherical...It is a wonder given Aristotles references to the size of the earth, that the medieval Church did not get it...

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:59 pm
@Fido,
Why is it that I always find myself agreeing with you!?

But one thing, I wasn't being clear, and it was my fault. When I wrote "science"
"You must have a healthy merging of science and philosophy . . ." I was referring to materialistic and physical science. Smile

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
@Theologikos,
Theologikos;144295 wrote:
You have the same lvl of reasoning, logic and sence of poetic philosophy ..unfortunaly.

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:42 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144323 wrote:
You have the same lvl of reasoning, logic and sence of poetic philosophy ..unfortunaly.

. . . . . . . . .Laughing

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:17 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144323 wrote:

Suffer baby, suffer...

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 12:20 AM ----------

Theologikos;144295 wrote:

But one thing, I wasn't being clear, and it was my fault. When I wrote "science"
"You must have a healthy merging of science and philosophy . . ." I was referring to materialistic and physical science. Smile

Science is about the material, physical world...Philosophy has simply focused more on the moral world, because that is where the problem is...

EJinVA

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:23 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;144222 wrote:
I agree wholly. The destination will not bring truth; the journey will.

Welcome EJinVA! Could you explain your name?

EJ are the initials of my first and last names and I live in the Commonwealth of Virginia (VA), USA.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Truth is elusive, as in truth of where we came from or where we are going (conceptual truth). Sometimes it's search makes us crazy, then we look to simple or concrete truths to fall back on (i.e. this morning I woke up and went to work) Or in other words I stopped thinking and did the instinctual thing. If I'm human, I think, process what I think, choose to act or not, but that's hard and sometimes (more often the older i get) I just want the easy (instinctual) route.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:53:09