Just signed on

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

EJinVA

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:12 am
I'm new to this forum, but not new to seeking the truth.
Thanks,
EJ

jgweed

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:59 am
@EJinVA,
Welcome to Philforum!
When one begins to question, one begins to seek the truth. Ironically in seeking the truth one also questions whether there is truth to be found.
I look forward to reading your posts.
John

EJinVA

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 11:39 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;134602 wrote:
Welcome to Philforum!
Ironically in seeking the truth one also questions whether there is truth to be found.
I look forward to reading your posts.
John

Exactly!
Seems as though everytime I think I'm "In the Truth" it turns out to be not so.
Good to be in the company of others who feel free to question.
Eric

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:18 pm
@EJinVA,
EJinVA;134590 wrote:
Thanks,
EJ

Forget the truth...You would easier catch a hand full of wind...Truth is an infinite, and it does not matter whether you go after a small bit of it or the whole tomato, you still come up short...

The good is an infinite as well, but we can see short term good in relation to our own lives, and considering all lives as roughly equal, we can find a universal short term good...And that is about what we need, and we do not need much truth which is about like that elephant (dead) jambed in the conveyor in that Detroit rendering plant... There it was not just the rot of a single beast that was cut through but the stank of many deaths long forgotten...Leave truth to the buzzards... All you need is enough...

Leonard

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:23 pm
@EJinVA,
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure there will be topics on here that interest you.

chad3006

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:07 am
@EJinVA,
EJinVA;134629 wrote:
Exactly!
Seems as though everytime I think I'm "In the Truth" it turns out to be not so.
Good to be in the company of others who feel free to question.
Eric

Reminds me of a excerpt from Mark Twain's "What is Man":

"We are always hearing of people who are around SEEKING AFTER TRUTH. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he had never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who THOUGHT they were (permanent) Seekers after Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted
judgment--until they believed that without doubt or question they had
found the Truth. THAT WAS THE END OF THE SEARCH. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather."

whilby

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:14 am
@EJinVA,
the search for untruth is far more noble a quest.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:02 pm
@whilby,
whilby;143971 wrote:
the search for untruth is far more noble a quest.

Good is a noble quest... Truth is the universal naval, and too many get their heads stuck in it to inspire calm at the prospect....

Twain was a philosopher

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:07 pm
@EJinVA,
EJinVA;134590 wrote:
Thanks,
EJ
That you will never find, too many delusive things will mislead you. Too many people with too many subjective oppinions.

You will touch the rainbow sooner than the truth.

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:45 pm
@EJinVA,
EJinVA;134590 wrote:
Thanks,
EJ

Welcome! You can find the truth, but you'll never know it. Although the search is seemingly meaningless, it's the journey that expands your knowledge.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
@EJinVA,
EJinVA;134590 wrote:
Thanks,
EJ

fEEL FREE TO USE OUR fORUM
tell US please where you find some thrut

Kindness,
Pepijn Sweep, Magister Y :bigsmile:

mister kitten

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:43 pm
@Theologikos,
Theologikos;144194 wrote:
Welcome! You can find the truth, but you'll never know it. Although the search is seemingly meaningless, it's the journey that expands your knowledge.

I agree wholly. The destination will not bring truth; the journey will.

Welcome EJinVA! Could you explain your name?

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:57 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;144222 wrote:
I agree wholly. The destination will not bring truth; the journey will.

Welcome EJinVA! Could you explain your name?
Thought finding the truth ended the journey, what truth would a journey in itself bring?

mister kitten

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:13 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144227 wrote:
Thought finding the truth ended the journey, what truth would a journey in itself bring?

It's all about the journey, Hex
The destination brings the end of the journey (end of experience?). It's like a video-game. When playing Pokemon, once you have caught 'em all the game is over.

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:27 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144227 wrote:

Well, if you find the truth, odds are it is quite by accident. Since one can never know something, it is more advantageous to learn from the journey which is filled with insights. The journey holds the evidence from which the main truth is compiled. The evidence in itself is truth, but finding that evidence as it leads to the unifying truth, I find, is most fulfilling. It's the small evidence that fits so well together, that is the closest to our perceived reality. The closest to the known

Science is a very human form of knowledge; we are always at the brink of the known
-Jacob Bronowski

The same applies if it isn't by accident, only the truth is less certain. Proving a presupposed claim caries more subjectivity than one found on accident.

There is no knowledge, only the illusion of it.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@Theologikos,
mister kitten;144232 wrote:
It's all about the journey, Hex
The destination brings the end of the journey (end of experience?). It's like a video-game. When playing Pokemon, once you have caught 'em all the game is over.
Really poor anology imo ..sorry.

Theologikos;144234 wrote:
Well, if you find the truth, odds are it is quite by accident. Since one can never know something, it is more advantageous to learn from the journey which is filled with insights. If it is not by accident, you still will never know if it is the truth or not. The journey is more exciting and fulfilling than the truth. And much less evasive.

Ooooh! So the world might still be flat, after all? Thought all those beliving in a flat earth, was considerd idiots?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144238 wrote:
Really poor anology imo ..sorry.

Ooooh! So the world might still be flat, after all? Thought all those beliving in a flat earth, was considerd idiots?

Well; still people think Holland and Danmark are flat...

Pepijn Sweep
Magister b.d.

Theologikos

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@HexHammer,
I think you might want to refresh the page Razz

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:52 pm
@Theologikos,
Theologikos;144234 wrote:
Well, if you find the truth, odds are it is quite by accident. Since one can never know something, it is more advantageous to learn from the journey which is filled with insights. The journey holds the evidence from which the main truth is compiled. The evidence in itself is truth, but finding that evidence as it leads to the unifying truth, I find, is most fulfilling. It's the small evidence that fits so well together, that is the closest to our perceived reality. The closest to the known

Science is a very human form of knowledge; we are always at the brink of the known
-Jacob Bronowski

The same applies if it isn't by accident, only the truth is less certain. Proving a presupposed claim caries more subjectivity than one found on accident.

Sorry to be harsh, but what I see is empty rethoric, I would sorely like some concrete evidence of your thesis.

Too often I see things that only fits into an imaginary idealistic world.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:56 pm
@Theologikos,
Theologikos;144250 wrote:
I think you might want to refresh the page Razz

I am difficult with this computer. Of course we countries are not flat. We have dept. Polders minus 2 meters ! What a nice Nicked Name you have.Laughing

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:52:30