2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Backstabbing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:16 pm
Backstabbing
Just a topic I'd like to bring up.

Has anyone ever felt like they were stabbed in the back
by a co-worker?

Did this incident make you want to leave your job?

Did you leave your job because of it?

I'm just curious... Cause I am working with the BIGGEST
back stabber of them all and I am considering moving on from
the hospital I currently work at.

Jennifer 1

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 05:16 pm
I hear you
Sorry to hear that, but I can relate! It makes it especially hard when you spend eight hours a day with them. I lucked out and had my backstabber change jobs. Have you confronted this person? If it's really making you miserable, I would consider changing jobs. Especially if that is easy for you to do right now. Good Luck

dianam

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:41 pm
Backstqabber
Be carfeful, backstabber can, and sometimes do go after people and if they have enough people and can convince the right ones, you can lose your job.
It happened to me, I was stabbed in the back and was fired, had no idea it was coming, I knew that there were backstabbers, but thought, I was safe, because I was well-liked. I guess I was wrong, don't trust anyone, if you feel that uncomfortable, talk to your manager, and if it continues, I would start looking. Good luck!
dianam

Maxine 1

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:18 pm
Ahh the joys of office politics! Laughing < laugh so you don't cry

linkoz

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
I choose to call nurses that feel they have to hurt other people to gain recognition or to climb that ladder insecure and unfortunate souls. After over 37 years I seen every form of cruel and hurtful behavior from my collegues. Only you know what the rght action is for you, but do not stoop to the level which they do. Hold firm to your own truth and continue practice with integrity and always with what is best for your patients.

Nurseofthelake

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:40 pm
Backstabbing
I too can relate. I think you're going to run into unprofessional coworkers no matter where you go. The really sad thing is that these people can really hurt you. Just be careful and 'CYA' at all times! If it's really bad then change jobs, but don't be surprised if you find one on the new job. It's really too bad nurses can't stick together instead of backstabbing. I'll never really understand why some people have to be like that.

dnomura

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:00 pm
Evil or Very Mad I have always contended that the only drawback to nursing is the fact that you have to work with women, and women are the worst to work with.

Robyn 28

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:07 pm
Nah, inordinately prejudiced people are the worst to work with.

rottmommie

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:20 pm
nursing
sweets, nursing is one of the most backstabbing professions I have ever seen!
Even the men do it....like a bunch of hens.
I had a backstabber for a boss, and yes I left my job because of it.
I vowed to screen my bosses and DONs prior to accepting a job...
I finally do have a good boss....she is truly one of the decent.
I vote that nurses have no business in management positions without management classes and perhaps a degree in management.
I also beleive that those in management in the medical field should HAVE to be a nurse, RN, LPN......including nursing home administrators. It should be a requirement!
Now that I have my vent out there!! WHEW I feel much better!

nursegarcia

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:04 pm
All these posts are absolutely correct. Do not let this person control you, which is what it will seem like if you quit. Goodluck in what you decide and keep us posted!!!

notes

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:00 am
back stabbers
yes, i have, i feel for you. i have had that done to me by my director of nusing, and lost my job with the company i was with for ten years because of her lying, she actually came to my office and told me that the administrator had asked about a certain point and that she lied, two days later i was fired, hurt so bad i had a nervous breakdown, but i'm great now, took that opportunity to finish getting my degree, oh yeah, she was fired two weeks ago, karma can be so sweet.

nursePARKHOUSE

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:23 pm
Backstabbing
Twisted Evil Hello, I have been an RN for 6 years. I am 29 years old. I am a float nurse. My first job my manager told me that working with women consisted of 3 B's----------BITCHING, BICKERING, BACKBITING. Boy that was the truth. I found a way out for the most part. I have been a float nurse for 3 years in a hospital. No politics, no gossip. You get your assignment, take care of your patients, and go home. It's great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corkybann

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:45 pm
backstabbing
I can understand backstabbing within the nursing world. I have been a night shift charge rn in a busy er for the last 4 years. I worked hard to get to the charge position. For the first 3 years I was the second in line for senior charge nurse. A year ago, I was placed in the senior charge position when the senior charge changed jobs. Since that time I have had to deal with a click on night shift that has occurred due to an addition of 12 hour shifts which changed the schedule all around. There is a group of nurses, two of which are charge nurses on another shift who totally ignore me as the charge on night shift. They can go an entire shift without talking to me or asking me a question. They make all their own decisions and totally make me feel alienated and humiliated. Does anyone out there have any responses to help me? I have been offerred a job outside of the er and I think i am going to take it just for the peace of mind. corkybann[/i]

linkoz

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:17 pm
Corkyban
I spent 37 years watching nurses in my profession spending more time being unkind, catty, disrespectful and unempathetic to their own collegues. What a different profession this would be if we took all that wasted energy and channelled into elevating this profession to a much higher standard and a united voice. I have been subjected to a very similar situation on more than one occassion. Be strong and confront them with their behavior and talk about how it makes you feel. Try not to be defensive and hold your integrity high. You will be OK.
linkoz

LPN1974

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:59 pm
reply to backstabbing
Hi, I'm new to this board.
Wanted to reply that I was recently backstabbed. A new RN supervisor was just hired for my shift.
Another LPN, who works on another shift went to this new RN and told her some lies on me.
Well, guess where I heard it??? From the new RN.
First off, the other nurse had no right going to the new RN and saying stuff, and the RN should have kept it to herself IMO.
I'm still trying to decide if I should go to the DON with this or let it go.
What would you all advise?
I did kind of pick at the RN until she told me who it was saying stuff.
She asked me not to tell if she told me. But I am still upset over this, and the RN REALLY should have kept it all to herself to begin with. She could have nipped the whole thing in the bud if SHE had handled it right when the other nurse started talking.
So what do you all think? Should I talk to the DON or just let it go?

medlines4

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:48 pm
Re: Backstabbing
My name is Tess, and I was a troubled LVN when I was stabbed in the back by someone that I thought was my friend, but turned out to be a really screwed up lady who made sure that enough bad rumors were spread around my workplace that I was fired. By the time I left the place, every unsolved mystery of the facility was solved and blamed on me-from thefts to other unpleasnt things I couldn't even imagine doing. A few weeks later, the lady who backstabbed me was fired. I learned not to confide anything to my co-workers that I don't want to be public domain, and a fer years later, when I became a DSD, I was able to share my experience with others, and I believed it was helpful. Just because people come to you and offer you a friendly ear is no reason to trust them with secrets-these people often just want your information to make them more sucuessful with their supervisors or even their co workers.

[/quote]

linkoz

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
You are right it is your Nursing supervisors' responsibility and obligation to deal with this situation and if necessary to arrange a meeting between you and the Lpn. to determine the truth. Unless this continues, I would not go to the DON but wait and see how this plays out. Remember when other people point a finger at you it is usually about their own issues, Good Luck. LInkoz

JJ 1

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:05 am
back stabbing
I have to laugh when I read that women are the worse to work with. I worked at a medical company for 14 years. The men were twice as bad as the professional women because most of the men were insecure and incompetent. But guess what? They were promoted because they had learned to "play the game".
There is a great book out there "She wins, you win" that actually helps women in the professional stage of life. I say if you are around back stabbers, remember - trust no one. Everything you say will be repeated to someone else. Eventually if you said something about someone - it will get back. And remember - people will always try to make you look bad if you make them appear incompetent - it happens. Stay away from the gossip - make your immediate supervisor aware of your accomplishments - no matter how minor. And just smile - life is too short to worry about the insecure and incompetent people out there. And there are a lot of them!

ANTONELLA

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:53 am
Been there...hate that!
Hi< I am new to this forem but not new to nursing. The one time this happened to me I spoke to our employ assistace person, I can tell you this really worked. He had a meeting with me , my co-worker, our manager and repeated this several times. It did not take long for this lady( I use the term Loosely) to begin to change her ways once confronted. Initially she denied everything but since this had been a pattern with other coworkers it did not take long for everyone to see the big picture . She left the job with in 6 monthes. I had by this time lost all respect for our manager who had sat by for years and allowed this woman to make the lives of many coworkers difficult. Crying or Very sad

Robyn 28

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:34 am
Hi to all you new nurses (to this forum)!

=====

ANTONELLA,

I think you bring up a good point. Speaking with a manager or HR person can really be helpful. I have a friend who was having difficulty with someone at work and after they all sat down and talked things really improved.

Has anyone else tried this?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Backstabbing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:26:58