Is TFI a cult or a church?

1. xFamily
  2. » Legal & Abuse
  3. » Is TFI a cult or a church?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Acheick

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 10:06 am
Is TFI a cult or a church?
In light of the recent usage of the word church by TFI to describe their cult, I wrote this:

The Family International thinks it’s not a cult but a church. No longer happy with the term, New Religious Movement, they have now moved on to a new façade of being a church. Certainly, they hold with disdain any mention of the word “cult.â€

evanman

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:52 pm
The "Mormons" call themselves a "church", as do the jehovah's Witnesses, as do the followers of Anton le Vey.

Big deal!

Acheick

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:00 pm
evanman wrote:
The "Mormons" call themselves a "church", as do the jehovah's Witnesses, as do the followers of Anton le Vey.

Big deal!

Correct,and I was going to put that in there too but decided to leave it out. These religions are still considered a cult by many, yet they are moving towards acceptance because of several things. Even the Catholic church was considered a monstrous cult in its heyday. They all have one thing in common, however, they more and more operate under public scrutiny and today's laws. They are more and more open about their beliefs (though I believe the Mormons have some hidden book in their chambers that only the elders are allowed to see and view). Their children are allowed a proper education and interaction within the community and are not sheltered as in TFI. In other words, they actually go out and get careers. At least they have a better chance at life.

Day 1

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:42 am
Acheick, a friend of mine made an interesting remark in reference to your comments about TF's desire to be recognized as a church. She said, "It is a supreme irony that the name they once disdained is now one they wish to claim."

Acheick

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:12 pm
Day wrote:
Acheick, a friend of mine made an interesting remark in reference to your comments about TF's desire to be recognized as a church. She said, "It is a supreme irony that the name they once disdained is now one they wish to claim."

Oh YES! They want to be a part of the robotic, jenny the mule, church system? Berg's ghost must be crawling around in his little tomb. Who can forget all the damnation Berg gave to the churches in Old Church, New Church. Heck, throughout nearly all of his writings. He never had one good thing to say about the churches, he despised them.

Jered

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:18 am
Is the Family International registered as a church in any country? If not, it is not a church. End of story.

evanman

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 04:17 pm
It is not necessary to be registered to be called a "church" in a number of different countries.

In some countries even legitimate groups cannot be registered as they do not belong to an officially registered denomination.

60 million Chinese are members of unregistered churches.

Numerous evangelical churches in Portugal operate illegally as they are ineligible for registration.

Day 1

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:01 am
This thread, and the one about restorative justice, got me thinking along this line, that is, how feasible it might be to promote and set-up a gathering of scholars, the clergy, press and other experts with social interests, along with representatives from TF for them to state their case as it were; explain their mission, backgrounds, accomplishments, answer questions, etc. Since TF desires “churchâ€

Acheick

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:28 am
Day wrote:
This thread, and the one about restorative justice, got me thinking along this line, that is, how feasible it might be to promote and set-up a gathering of scholars, the clergy, press and other experts with social interests, along with representatives from TF for them to state their case as it were; explain their mission, backgrounds, accomplishments, answer questions, etc. Since TF desires “churchâ€

max 1

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 01:37 pm
Acheick wrote:
Day wrote:

Day 1

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:37 pm
Acheick wrote:

I think you'd be shocked the places they go and try to appear legitimate amongst biblical scholars and clergy. Imagine a conference of clergy with TF leading them in singing "This little light of mine" - yeah, well, it's happened. I guess we're all just a bunch of dumb sheep, cause they can fool just about anybody.

You’re right about TF “pulling the woolâ€

max 1

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:21 am
Day wrote:
Acheick wrote:

I think you'd be shocked the places they go and try to appear legitimate amongst biblical scholars and clergy. Imagine a conference of clergy with TF leading them in singing "This little light of mine" - yeah, well, it's happened. I guess we're all just a bunch of dumb sheep, cause they can fool just about anybody.

You’re right about TF “pulling the woolâ€

Day 1

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:32 am
max wrote:
, but one lives in hope.

Ah yes...one does. :wink:

It reminds me of something Jackson Browne sang in his song The Fuse, " the fear of living for nothing strangles the will."

max 1

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:27 am
Day wrote:
max wrote:
, but one lives in hope.

Ah yes...one does. :wink:

It reminds me of something Jackson Browne sang in his song The Fuse, " the fear of living for nothing strangles the will."

You seem to have avoided the question I posed so I repeat:-
“ I could get you a spot in the Media if you wish, I cannot guarantee the ratings would be of great magnitude, but at least it would be a “newâ€

Day 1

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:41 pm
max wrote:
“ I could get you a spot in the Media if you wish, I cannot guarantee the ratings would be of great magnitude, but at least it would be a “newâ€

max 1

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:13 am
Day wrote:
max wrote:

Day 1

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 08:10 am
It’s implausible, in my mind, to think that your offer of a “spot in the mediaâ€

Anonymous

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:54 pm
Day wrote:
It’s implausible, in my mind, to think that your offer of a “spot in the mediaâ€

evanman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:22 am
People obviously can't get through to Max. He's so full of himself that he can't accept that because of his words, and actions on this forum, that people reckon that he's a Walter Mitty type character.

max 1

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:09 am
evanman wrote:
People obviously can't get through to Max. He's so full of himself that he can't accept that because of his words, and actions on this forum, that people reckon that he's a Walter Mitty type character.

I see many words mostly the same old ones, but I see little actions and as we all know "actions speak louder than words".
There you have it.

Love & God Bless

Max

1. xFamily
  2. » Legal & Abuse
  3. » Is TFI a cult or a church?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:47:18