Hello World

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

marciag

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:59 pm
I am a new member looking for a community to discuss questions I have about Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. I am reading it for the first time after being led to it by another book I read recently on Science, Religion and Human Experience. I have progressed as far as the Transcendental Aesthetic and realize I am more likely to come to grips with the ideas if I can ask questions. I hope this is the right place.

Caroline

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:45 pm
@marciag,
Hello marciag and welcome to the forum, I think you'll find plenty of people here to discuss your ideas and questions. Enjoy your stay.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:58 pm
@marciag,
marciag;75094 wrote:
I am a new member looking for a community to discuss questions I have about Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. I am reading it for the first time after being led to it by another book I read recently on Science, Religion and Human Experience. I have progressed as far as the Transcendental Aesthetic and realize I am more likely to come to grips with the ideas if I can ask questions. I hope this is the right place.

You probably do not need anyone to discuss Kant with if you are able to understand Kant's First Critique without a considerable amount of expert guidance. Others probably need your help in that case. Did you, for instance do you understand why it is that Kant thinks that the question, how are synthetic a priori judgments possible, "a matter of life and death for philosophy" and makes that the central question of the book?

jgweed

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 03:05 pm
@marciag,
The Critique is not an easy read, although Kant is a very careful writer. If you have specific questions about a passage or a question that would seem to be able to be answered succinctly, then please post it in the Phil. 101 section. More general questions about Kant's philosophy can be asked in the Kant Forum; there you would most likely receive answers from Members versed in Kantian Philosophy.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
@jgweed,
Welcome to the forums marciag. Do you program C/C++?

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 11:07 pm
@marciag,
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you aboard, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

marciag

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 05:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;75131 wrote:
You probably do not need anyone to discuss Kant with if you are able to understand Kant's First Critique without a considerable amount of expert guidance. Others probably need your help in that case. Did you, for instance do you understand why it is that Kant thinks that the question, how are synthetic a priori judgments possible, "a matter of life and death for philosophy" and makes that the central question of the book?

Well, I have only got as far as the Transcendental Aesthetic! So lots further to go yet.

I think he saw this as a "matter of life or death for philosophy" because the philosophers of his day were unable to resolve their differences (Berkeley, Hume) using their notions of analytic and synthetic. So Kant thought if synthetic a priori judgements were possible it might be a way out of that irresolvable conflict and so might save metaphysics from being as useless as Hume thought.

---------- Post added 07-06-2009 at 07:46 AM ----------

Holiday20310401;75225 wrote:
Welcome to the forums marciag. Do you program C/C++?

Do you mean Kant/Kant++? Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:54:55