Forum lurker saying hello...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Forum lurker saying hello...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 10:20 pm
Hey there, I've been reading these forums for awhile, and just now have finally decide to post.

A little about myself:

I'm 24

I'm a student, currently studying philosophy and music

The philosopher whose work I enjoy reading most is Bertrand Russell

So I hope to read more insightful posts here, and leave you with an excerpt from Russell's "The Problems of of Philosophy" that pretty well sums up my thoughts on the subject:

"The value of philosophy is, in fact, to be sought largely in its very uncertainty. The man who has no tincture of philosophy goes through life imprisoned in the prejudices derived from common sense, from the habitual beliefs of his age or his nation, and from convictions which have grown up in his mind without the co-operation or consent of his deliberate reason. To such a man the world tends to become definite, finite, obvious; common objects rouse no questions, and unfamiliar possibilities are contemptuously rejected. As soon as we begin to philosophize, on the contrary, we find, as we saw in our opening chapters, that even the most everyday things lead to problems to which only very incomplete answers can be given. Philosophy, though unable to tell us with certainty what is the true answer to the doubts which it raises, is able to suggest many possibilities which enlarge our thoughts and free them from the tyranny of custom. Thus, while diminishing our feeling of certainty as to what things are, it greatly increases our knowledge as to what they may be; it removes the somewhat arrogant dogmatism of those who have never travelled into the region of liberating doubt, and it keeps alive our sense of wonder by showing familiar things in an unfamiliar aspect."

Justin

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 06:25 am
@TheBrandonOne,
Warm welcome to you TheBrandonOne! Enjoy the forums.

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 06:48 am
@TheBrandonOne,
From high up on the plains of the Japanese heartland, I send my greetings and big WELCOME to the forums ! That's a very interesting passage there, reminds me of when my eldest son was going on 4 years of age...lots of questions which I couldn't really answer. Enjoy the forums !! KJ

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 02:15 pm
@KaseiJin,
Cheers and Welcome,
Russ

mumbles to himself on the way out "even though you like Russell" LOL

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 05:50 pm
@TheBrandonOne,
Welcome to the forum! We are happy you graced us with your presence, and enlightening us to that fact.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Forum lurker saying hello...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:29:55