Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 09:22 pm
When you say "introduce" yourself... Why?

By social conventions, it is polite to present oneself. When one socializes, dissemblance is an integral part of success. And yet people are always telling others to "be themselves." And yet, in truth, if we were to act as ourselves, many of us would never introduce ourselves.

In fact, in this post, I've been trying to impress you. Apparently.

Anyways, I'm new to philosophy and to forums in general. A firm believer in chivalry (despite its apparent death) and grammar (that is to say, I believe all people should strive toward superior communication - not that everyone should have perfect grammar.) And I have a problem with putting my foot in my mouth. I guess most of my posts will be about education, religion, sexuality, gender roles, and social conventions, since that's what I'm interested.

Oh right. You can call me Andy.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:14 am
@grimm psykos,
Welcome to the forum Andy. We are glad to have you aboard, and I look forward to your contributions.

xris

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:18 am
@Theaetetus,
Welcome Andy, you can start with the sex bit if you like, my grammars awful by the way.Xris..

Khethil

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:59 am
@xris,
Well, welcome to the Forum!

PS: Very nice, 'in fact' and 'apparently' used to the same sentiment. I love it! <tease>

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:00 pm
@grimm psykos,
grimm psykos;59151 wrote:
When you say "introduce" yourself... Why?

By social conventions, it is polite to present oneself. When one socializes, dissemblance is an integral part of success. And yet people are always telling others to "be themselves." And yet, in truth, if we were to act as ourselves, many of us would never introduce ourselves.

In fact, in this post, I've been trying to impress you. Apparently.

Anyways, I'm new to philosophy and to forums in general. A firm believer in chivalry (despite its apparent death) and grammar (that is to say, I believe all people should strive toward superior communication - not that everyone should have perfect grammar.) And I have a problem with putting my foot in my mouth. I guess most of my posts will be about education, religion, sexuality, gender roles, and social conventions, since that's what I'm interested.

Oh right. You can call me Andy.

Welcome Andy.
I found your post quite entertaining. I hope you keep it up.
And always remember that 'be yourself' is code for 'be as we want you to be'. :rolleyes:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:39:56