How does one introduce oneself?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » How does one introduce oneself?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:21 pm
Surely the meek "hello" shows weakness, or an unwillingness to write. To do so is rather risk-free, and at the same time no gain.

Yet what else is there to do? A surprising statement perhaps, "I'M A COMMUNIST" as a tool to gain some sort of mystique?
Yet, when honestly thought through, how amazing would this really be on a forum dedicated to free-thought philosophy?

Surely the point of an introduction is to gather an early respect. To show the recipients of your message that you are not someone to be ignored.

But the only thing that will give you that respect
is good posts
on a real board.

Salutations!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 08:47 pm
@YumClock,
Welcome to the forum.

Justin

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:58 am
@YumClock,
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy!

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:45 pm
@Justin,
I think the best way to introduce yourself is to announce that you are going to mail a 500$ check to everyone who replies to your introductory thread.

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:52 pm
@YumClock,
Too bad that didn't happen. I would be a millionaire by now!

Anyway, welcome to the forum YumClock! I hope your posts end up being as interesting and intriguing as your introduction.

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:44 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock wrote:
Surely the meek "hello" shows weakness, or an unwillingness to write. To do so is rather risk-free, and at the same time no gain.

Yet what else is there to do? A surprising statement perhaps, "I'M A COMMUNIST" as a tool to gain some sort of mystique?
Yet, when honestly thought through, how amazing would this really be on a forum dedicated to free-thought philosophy?

Surely the point of an introduction is to gather an early respect. To show the recipients of your message that you are not someone to be ignored.

is good posts
on a real board.

Salutations!

If you have never been here before; just say: I'm Baa'aaack!

But how should I know...I have never introduced myself anywhere...If something interests me, I respond...

YumClock

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:23 pm
@YumClock,
Well, off to the boards, kids.
Very Happy Can't spend your whole day introducing yourself.

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 09:19 pm
@YumClock,
Time is money, or something like that... Say hey; and then git to work...

The Dude phil phil

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:13 pm
@YumClock,
Introduce yourself however you like, but do not be overly concerned with how people will reply.

At least that's how I approach meeting someone.

And welcome to the forums. Very Happy

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:40 pm
@The Dude phil phil,
The_Dude wrote:
Introduce yourself however you like, but do not be overly concerned with how people will reply.

At least that's how I approach meeting someone.

And welcome to the forums. Very Happy

When I was younger, and unmarried, and out looking, I did my best to cover my shyness, and yet still engage... Two questions I learned from a friend...One was: Would you like some company, which is what you ask a girl, or girls, sitting at a table... And: Do you feel like dancing... Some times I would see some girl just about bouncing out of her chair with the music, and I would ask her that... Sometimes the girl would be mean: NO! I don't want to dance with YOU!!! Okay; right question; wrong answer.... I never liked to be judged, so asking for a dance, or a date, or a job was always a difficult moment for me...I learned to do it so that it was not allowed to be a judgement on me... Do you need some help??? Are you hiring??? Then if people want to judge; fine, but that is not what I was asking for...

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 01:03 am
@YumClock,
Let's see here...now which post was I was about to respond to...that Fido is in that 'marriage' arrangement too? OH...WELCOME !! Yeah, I was gonna welcome somebody...I'm sure your posts will find the emotional welcome gyrus in everyone's mind who has welcomed you here on this introduction thread which somehow started, but never really peaked (or we waiting to that climax a bit down the road?)--although poetically written and well designed.

I hope you'll have the fun you seek, YumClock, and I look forward to seeing you 'round !

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 06:57 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock;58948 wrote:

is good posts
on a real board.

Salutations!

hehe. That was a good introduction. Welcome.
I hope you're not a communist.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 07:04 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
hehe. That was a good introduction. Welcome.
I hope you're not a communist.

What's wrong with communists? They offer valid perspectives to further conversations.

manored

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:08 am
@YumClock,
YumClock wrote:

is good posts
on a real board.

Salutations!
Nice! I highly apreciate and respect originality, such as meta-introductions. Looking forward to a meta-meta one Smile

Fido wrote:
Time is money, or something like that... Say hey; and then git to work...
Time are more unsolved matters to have been broven unsolvable Smile

Theaetetus wrote:
What's wrong with communists? They offer valid perspectives to further conversations.
They eat little children.

Thats what my history teacher's parents told her then she was a child Smile

Seriously, I hold nothing special against communism, but whenever I heard the word I see someone grabing a gun im my mind and shooting the communist. Side-effect of playing many american games I suppose Smile

Tonfish

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:47 am
@manored,
Nice one there! Now I know how to introduce myself Very Happy

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:34 am
@YumClock,
Eat little children??? Wal, idnit illegal???

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:33 pm
@Fido,
Eating little children is illegal. Though, I've read that they are tasty.

manored

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 01:23 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Eat little children??? Wal, idnit illegal???
Thats not a question little children would make.

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 03:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Eating little children is illegal. Though, I've read that they are tasty.

Lots and lots of sugar won't make them any less rotton....

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 04:18 pm
@Fido,
Now that the convo has devolved into child eating I would Swiftly Propose a more Modest Introduction.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » How does one introduce oneself?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:49:25