The HexHammer comes!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The HexHammer comes!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 12:50 pm
According to forum rules, I will introduce myself briefly.

I'm not an akademic who like to get blinded by great philosophically questions, I'm sorta opposit ...one who likes to burst the bubbles ..one who likes to talk plain language with a direct link to reality.

manored

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:03 pm
@HexHammer,
So you are not going to help us decide if the universe is fundamentally more like a donut than a disc? Oh well... Smile

If I understood well, you mean that you like to pull the teory into reality... that is good. Quite a few people around here who forget the pratical side of things Smile

HexHammer

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 07:05 pm
@HexHammer,
I sometimes too have my moments of weakness and give in to speaking on both sides of the fence.

..but yes, you got me down right.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 07:10 pm
@HexHammer,
Welcome HexHammer, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 08:12 pm
@HexHammer,
Welcome Hex! Enjoy the forum. Even as an academic, I prefer applied philosophy rather than examining typical philosophic questions. So are there any typical bubbles that you enjoy bursting, or are you just a general sceptic?

HexHammer

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 01:59 am
@Theaetetus,
Thanks for the welcome guys :flowers:

Theaetetus wrote:
Welcome Hex! Enjoy the forum. Even as an academic, I prefer applied philosophy rather than examining typical philosophic questions. So are there any typical bubbles that you enjoy bursting, or are you just a general sceptic?

Like to burst irationallity-bubbles (irationallity seems like a lack of logic) ie if someone tyrranize people or are religious and wants me in their silly cult.

Have a really bad habit of trying to solve Gordian Knots, and take the beating in stepping all the people involved over the toes.

manored

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 02:48 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
Thanks for the welcome guys :flowers:

Like to burst irationallity-bubbles (irationallity seems like a lack of logic) ie if someone tyrranize people or are religious and wants me in their silly cult.

Have a really bad habit of trying to solve Gordian Knots, and take the beating in stepping all the people involved over the toes.
Gordian Knots?

Not many irrationality bubbles or religious dogmatism around here, as far as I can tell, except for MJA, who I now advise you to not try to discuss with.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 04:15 pm
@HexHammer,
Gordian Knots as to solve problems with seemingly no solution to it.

I don't have any high education, infact I have only bad grades from school, yet I solved problems which highly educated people couldn't.

I'v worked in a newspaper and got the worst task ever, to write the internal newsletter for all employees. It was manutally writing all news the entire staff of chiefs would give me. This task could take anywhere from 8 - 22h, because the written contributions could take up pages.
Ofcause most of the contributions could be delayed hours, and often deliverd when the chiefs went home from work.

My solution were simple, deny any contirbution even 1 min too late, it would be domped in trashcan. No need to say I got myself in the eny of the storm, every chief would hate me for that.

Further I would demand all contributions in digital form, either e-mailed or by floppy, with the right format which I had made in word, failing so, no cure for you!
This meant copy and paste in sec, instead of minutes/hours.

Finally a 8 - 22h task would only take 2 - 3h, in the first time of 14 years the CEO would get the internal newsletter on time.

On a side note, 2 with the highest education in Denmark, and several secretaries have had this task, but none cracked it like I did.

----------

The comany had very old terminals, slow and really really poor doing the job. They took about 15 min to start up, yes I'm not exaggerating, they were 2 bit terminals! From1977!!!!! ...and it was anno 1999!

Everybody had tryed to get PC's instead of these dinosaurs, which was stubbonly refused by the CEO each time. I then approced the CEO and told him, your wasting worktime here, less time doing stuff compared to a modern terminal, on top of that ur terminals often crash 2 times if not more, that 15 x 3 = 45 min, 45 x ~100 (roughly the # of users) x work days/year x year. Punching the numbers on his calculator made him panic and order the IT chief to get his ass to the CEO's office ASAP and have a talk about new terminals.

-------

It took 14 days to educated salestaff to use the OS in the terminals. It was ancient software programmed over 3 times, so you can kinda compare it to DOS, Windos 95 and Vista, all in 1 big program with different ways of doing the same thing. In some areas you click O so save, others F2 ..needless to say it was a total mess.

I told the CEO the software sucks b..ls, you can't get new people from the street and make money in matter of days since they first have to master the software, you need to scrap it and program some entirely new.

CEO: No then I would lose my database!
Me: No OS and database are 2 seperate things
CEO: No they'r not!
Me: Fine ..call the IT chief and let him explain it to you.

IT Chief: Database and OS are two enteirely seperate areas, and you can program a new OS without losing your database.

CEO: Good. Program me a new OS.

-------
I might tell more later, some of the probmelsolving involves very unorthodox methods which isn't for the screamish.

Jose phil

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 10:18 pm
@HexHammer,
Welcome to the forum Hex. You look like you've eased yourself into the community. Hope to see you around.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;56156 wrote:

I'm not an akademic who like to get blinded by great philosophically questions, I'm sorta opposit ...one who likes to burst the bubbles ..one who likes to talk plain language with a direct link to reality.

Apart from lacking an academic training you also miss a basic education in how to behave with people. Their are numerous non-academics who are pleasant and well-educated and don't get rude with other people.

I suggest you take your frustrations elsewhere and not take them out on me or other members of the forum. Try a bar!:poke-eye:

Lily

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:35 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;56156 wrote:

HexHammer

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;132459 wrote:
Apart from lacking an academic training you also miss a basic education in how to behave with people. Their are numerous non-academics who are pleasant and well-educated and don't get rude with other people.

I suggest you take your frustrations elsewhere and not take them out on me or other members of the forum. Try a bar!:poke-eye:
Guess you never have been in a big company and faught the CEO, the entire staff of chiefs, and lawyers ..by youself and still keeping your head? Less being called back 3 times, trying to leave the company because you predicted it all would go to Hell, but had unmatched problemsolving skills which all the very highly educated philosophers didn't have?

I'm sure we come from very different backgrounds, and I hope you never get to work 50-80 hours/week in order to try to save the comapny, nor seeing it all go to Hell, and thereby realize what the real world is about, but ..I do really hope you can live in a bubble of idealistic thoughts, the rest of your life.

manored

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:48 pm
@HexHammer,
This sounds like a discussion started somewhere else, and its really bad to continue discussions somewhere else, because nobody else will understand =)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The HexHammer comes!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:37:15