Hi there to everyone

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hi there to everyone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

yes but

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 06:27 pm
I used to study philosophy a few years back, and lately I've been missing it, which is how I found my way here. So hello all and hope to be debating with you soon.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 06:36 pm
@yes but,
Hello yes but, we are glad you decided to join us here in our philosophical home. I see you are from Spain. Do you have any knowledge of Jose Ortega y Gasset's philosophy, or Miguel de Unamuno for that matter?

yes but

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 07:36 pm
@yes but,
I'm afraid I'm Scottish not Spanish, although I live in Madrid. I'm much more at home talking about Hume and induction as opposed to Ortega y G or Unamuno's tragic sense of life.

Unamuno has always bewilder me. The thesis that the man who comes to realize that the universe is without God, and therefore tragically senseless (his words not mine), should act in a way to protect other peoples' religious beliefs/delusions so that they could be spared the same tragedy just never clicked with me. Just as well he didn't have kids who believed in Santa Clause.

He seems to be doing the exact opposite of what a philosopher, scientist or thinker should do, namely to try to uncover truth and share it. Probably thought the peasants who needed religion couldn't read.

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:49 am
@yes but,
Howdy...................

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:49 pm
@yes but,
Greetings! What type of philosophy did you study before?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hi there to everyone
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 11:23:48