Glad to be here

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:54 am
I was hoping that there was this type of site, where a range of involvement, from armchair philosophy to applied philocsophy (pre-law, etc.) as well as in-depth inquiry, might be explored.

I am a freelance writer, handicapped - so i don't chase after it like I used to - , which has given me more time to collect, develop, live with and change my thoughts and those of others.

Seems to be an awful lot of proclamations flung around like mini-balls in a Gettysburg wheatfield. On the one hand, this would seem to be a very fruitful time for well-rounded and grounded ideas to advance into the public square, but these will most likely come through argument and challenge. (different from point-counterpoint)

What's presented now, and what most unsheltered psyches below the age of fifty have been bombarded with, it seems, is marketing psychology stunts and campaigns, and the promotion of finding familiar stimuli among the 24/7 chittering offers to stick rather gummily toward.
(Older folks have had that diet also, just not entirely since birth, so echoes of patience, dusty hot tube radio and staid presentations, I imagine, may persist).

I have found so many people fearful of continuing a conversation, even of picking up old ones to re-explore and advance - to actually move, even experimentally. My guess is that so much advertising is based on Don't Be Wrong, You're In It Alone, that easy uncertainty seems dreaded as unsafe, exposed and threatening.

I'm just looking for the kind of asylum, academy, agora, den where we can laugh about stuffy things and spend some time with the unnoticed parts we pretend to be sure of.

Oh look: emoticons! :sarcastic: :nonooo: :perplexed: I'm out of my league already :surrender:

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:36 am
@Tim phil,
Welcome to the forum Tim! We are glad you decided to join us, and I look forward to your future contributions.

Tim phil

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:57 pm
@Tim phil,
Thanks Thaetetus (you are in danger of a nickname on the days that my fingegrs aren't responding),
I'm sure that I'll lay back a little bit at first, but I'm looking forward to being involved. Any suggestions wher eto start?

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 02:42 pm
@Tim phil,
I recommend starting where you have a strong interest. For example, if epistemology or the philosophy of science or politics are you thing, then I would recommend starting in those subforums.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:27 pm
@Tim phil,
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr blast you emoticons!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:04:00