Hello!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:29 pm
I'm 17, studying Finance in Singapore. My interests are philosophy, finance, darwinism and economics.

I'm rather new to philosophy. I'm unsure of the way to go about being good at philosophy. I'm reading several basic books like Introducing Aristotle/Plato and Philosophy for Beginners. I feel I need to get a hang on the nomenclature first.

I'm also reading Adam Smith's Theory with the help of guides and notes and sometimes I read random philosophical articles online. What must I do to be able to write at that level? I often feel I'm incapable of achieving that standard of writing.

I'm interested in moral philosophy, philosophy of mind and logic.

Any advice is good advice. Thanks. =)

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 04:19 pm
@Jose phil,
Hi there! Welcome to the forums.
Good interests!

When I started english and philosophy, I found working with a template was a good way to practice intro essay writing: Introduction, Background, Thesis-Antithesis-Thesis-Antithesis, Conclusion. Once you're used to this you can experiment and branch out with your particular style of writing

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:54 am
@Jose phil,
Welcome to the forum Jose! I agree with Victor, that the easiest way to get into paper writing is following a template.

Jose phil

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:33 pm
@Theaetetus,
I see. Thanks.

I should probably get some reading done first. Any fundamental books to recommend for someone interested in moral philosophy and ethics?

Phronimos

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:50 pm
@Jose phil,
Given your dual interest in darwin and philosophy, you might find this article by the philosopher John Dewey on the impact of Darwin on philosophy interesting:

Peirce's Arisbe - John Dewey THE INFLUENCE OF DARWINISM ON PHILOSOPHY

I don't know how familiar you are with either Plato, Aristotle(to a lesser degree), Descartes, or Kant, but if you aren't at all and still want to read the essay I think I can point you in some of the right directions and help you gain the necessary backgroun so that you should be able to formulate you're own opinions on it. =)

If you're primary interest is moral philosophy and ethics. I'd definitely suggest the following to give you some differing perspectives:

Nicomachean Ethics- Aristotle: virtue ethics (Aquinas is also a good possibility if you are especially into christian theology and morality)

Utilitarianism & On Liberty- John Stuart Mill
Bentham also if you can locate a nice text. I'll look for a link of the book we used for my class, which included both Bentham and Mill. I find
some of Bentham's ideas useful, even if they were somewhat misguided.

Kant- Grounding of the Metaphysics of Morals (deontology)

Noddings- Caring: A feminine approach to ethics (You're likely skeptical but trust me, I found it especially rewarding especially after going through the others.)

If decide to read these texts or any others and you have any difficulties don't hesitate to ask questions in the philosophy 101 section. Hope to see you around, Jose.

Jose phil

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:45 am
@Phronimos,
Thanks.

I'll start with Kant. Is it "The Moral Law: Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals" or "Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals: With on a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic concerns"?

I suppose it's the former right. Which publisher would you recommend?

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:50 am
@Jose phil,
I find the Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy edition is a pretty good modern edition.

I second Phronimos' Mill, Kant, and Aristotle's suggestion, as well as Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, Peter Singer's Famine, Affluence and Morality, and W.D. Ross' What Makes Right Acts Right?

Phronimos

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:52 am
@Jose phil,
Jose;54340 wrote:
Thanks.

I'll start with Kant. Is it "The Moral Law: Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals" or "Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals: With on a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic concerns"?

I suppose it's the former right. Which publisher would you recommend?

I haven't read either of the supplementary readings, so I'll have to defer to others on that one. Hackett is a pretty solid publisher, I'd definitely recommend them.

Phronimos

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:54 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;54341 wrote:
I find the Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy edition is a pretty good modern edition.

I second Phronimos' Mill, Kant, and Aristotle's suggestion, as well as Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, Peter Singer's Famine, Affluence and Morality, and W.D. Ross' What Makes Right Acts Right?

Not a fan of Noddings, eh? =p

I've read some Singer,I'll second that suggestion as well. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't had a chance to read any Kiekegaard yet, or Ross really, aside from his translation of Aristotle.

Phronimos

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:59 am
@Jose phil,
Here's a link that has the big Mill writings--Utilitarianism, On Liberty, and On Bentham--along with Bentham. I haven't had this edition, but chances are its fine, since both Mill and Bentham were English writers. Amazon also has 3 way package that includes the Kant and Aristotle books I mentioned for under $26.

Amazon.com: The Classical Utilitarians: Bentham and Mill: Jeremy Bentham: Books

Jose phil

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 01:00 am
@Jose phil,
"Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy edition" - Victor Eremita

I don't get what you mean. Is History of Philosophy another book?

Is Routledge Published's version of Kant's Moral Law: Groundwork a good enough edition? If so, I do not need to spend the money to get another.

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 01:03 am
@Jose phil,
Phronimos wrote:
Not a fan of Noddings, eh? =p
I've read some Singer,I'll second that suggestion as well. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't had a chance to read any Kiekegaard yet, or Ross really, aside from his translation of Aristotle.

Yeah, these six are pretty much my recommendations for an introduction in Western ethics. I haven't read Noddings for Feminist ethics before; I'll take a look.
Jose wrote:
"Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy edition" - Victor Eremita

I don't get what you mean. Is History of Philosophy another book?

Is Routledge Published's version of Kant's Moral Law: Groundwork a good enough edition? If so, I do not need to spend the money to get another.

It's the one here:
Kant: Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy: Amazon.co.uk: Immanuel Kant, Mary Gregor, Christine M. Korsgaard: Books
I haven't looked at the Routledge edition yet, perhaps someone else can comment on it.

Jose phil

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 01:08 am
@Jose phil,
Thanks Victor.

I'll wait for the comment on Routledge. I'd definitely not want to spend S$20++ if I can borrow the Routledge version from a friend of mine.

Meanwhile I'll continue with Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiment and The Economist.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:12:35