Hello from Me

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:23 am
Hi All - I studied philosophy at Uni (Sydney) in the early 80's. I have been reading on and off ever since. I am interested in some aspects of classic metaphysics and also Indian philosophy. I practise Buddhist meditation and consider myself Buddhist. However I have also begun to discover Plato (finally) and some of the pre-modern philosophers. Reading a very interesting text at the moment called Shape of Ancient Thought, comparitive studies of Indian and Greek philosophy. My take on things is fairly idiosyncratic but I do believe that philosophy is a practical skill, namely, the love of wisdom and how to apply it in everyday life. Very old fashioned notion nowadays. Generally I tend towards monistic idealism and I guess what you could call 'hippie metaphysics'.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:40 am
@jeeprs,
Welcome to teh forum jeeprs! I see you have stumbled upon a book that I have wanted to read for a while, but it is rather expensive (and as far as I know the libraries in my university system do not have it), although I see that it is heavily discounted on Amazon so I may have to make the investment. I study the ancient Greek language and Plato will be my focus, so it is always nice to see new members that are interested in ancient philosophy.

Anyway, we are glad you decided to join us, and feel free to make yourself at home.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 02:12 pm
@Theaetetus,
Welcome to the forum.

There are many of us here who are interested in Buddhism. I look forward to reading your contributions on that, and many other topics.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 05:19 pm
@Theaetetus,
That book, Shape of Ancient Thought (which I admit I did get from the university library) may be pricey but there is a lot in it, dollars-per-word (combined with overal profundity) it is a bargain! I intend to buy a copy, it is definitely one for the shelf.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:01 pm
@jeeprs,
I will definitely be picking up the book and enjoying it over the summer break. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 11:01:26