Hello. Another fresh face.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello. Another fresh face.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Leu

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:35 pm
If you can call it that anyways.

Little bit of an introduction of myself. I am currently taking the prerequisite to Engineering Ethics, which is simply Philosophy 100. I am not taking the class very well when it comes to the history.

I have great fun with philosophical questions when I am asked to simply give my own opinion, whether or not I'm actually "right". Its the exercise that seems to be the primary point in all of this, so I just do it and leave it at that.

Last night I solved the squaring of the circle problem, or whatever the heck you call it. My professor said that if anybody could 'solve' it, that he would exempt us from the mid-term exam.

Well, you take the unit circle with the radius of one. Area is pi*r^2. 1^2 is 1, so pi * 1 = pi.

You take a square, all sides equal of course, and make the sides of the square the square root of pi, then of course you multiple two sides together and you have just pi. So the circle = the square.

It's an irrational answer to an impossible question, but the irrational answer is the rational answer regardless of how irrational it is. Funny thing, when I question him if he was serious, he said he wasn't. It's impossible to solve, because to truly solve it you have to do so rationally, or so I assume. But it can't be solved 'rationally', so therefore it is impossible. Even though I solved it. This makes my brain ache.

Anywho, I'm here for assistance through my class, and I'm hoping that the community here can give me that help I am after. The history here just eats my brain for breakfast and I'm close to a college burnout on my 100 level course, which sucks. So I'm going to go post my test study questions somewhere and see if I can get a hand.

Pleased to meet your acquaintances.

--Leu

Justin

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:55 pm
@Leu,
Welcom Leu! Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself. Interesting problem to solve. It makes sense. The square is the circle.

Let's not discuss that here but please do post it in the logic forum and also, please refrain from posting test questions just looking for answers. BTW, pleasure having you here, enjoy the forum.

logan phil

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:40 pm
@Leu,
Hey Leu, is this the sort of fresh face you are talking about:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/544/fdc964753.jpg

I remember the squaring the circle problem. I wrote a paper on transcendental numbers and Cantor some years ago. As I recall, in the late 1800s the task (of constructing a square with the same area as a given circle with compass and straightedge) was proven to be impossible because it was found that pi (π) is a transcendental, rather than an algebraic irrational number. Therefore, since this was a problem that originated in Euclidean Geometry, then it was only of interest under the axioms of Euclid.

Anyways, welcome to the forums Leu. Take a look around and feel free to use this as a place to bounce your ideas off of in your journey through the philosophical landscape. However, as Justin said, "please refrain from posting test questions just looking for answers." :bigsmile:

Leu

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:05 pm
@Leu,
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/philosophy-101/3831-philosophy-101-how-drive-engineering-student-crazy.html

I don't know if that breaks the rules, and I hope for my sake it doesn't. I think I explain myself well enough in my um... explanation. My problem with philosophy is that I don't understand the point. If I could have my test questions re-written in a 'clear' manner instead of Z+r=~-5, then I could get somewhere. I don't want answers to my questions. I want to understand the question so I can make an understandable answer.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 06:10 pm
@Leu,
Welcome to the forum Leu! We are glad you have decided to join us. I look forward to your future contributions.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello. Another fresh face.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:41:56