Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:22 pm
...friend. I'm new around these parts, but happy to be here. I've been browsing the site for the past couple of weeks and finally decided that it'd be a good idea to respond to what people were writing instead of simply reading what people were writing. I have to say that the quality of the forums here far supercedes that of any of those I've tried before. I'm hoping to be challenged, and you all seem like the lot to do it.

I'm a high school student from Illinois. I've had no formal schooling in philosophy, but it's a subject I enjoy. Being in high school, I find few others who share my interest; I believe this will be the outlet I've been searching for.

I'm not a brilliant or particularly eloquent debater, but I do pride myself on being a reader. I comitted to reading some of the classics in the past few months. Thus far, I've worked my way through Civil Disobedience, and am currently working my way through The Republic, The Federalist Papers, and Utopia.

I hope to see you all in the forums!
Desiderus

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:47 pm
@Desiderus,
Welcome to the forum Desiderus! Had I stumbled upon the philosophy itch back in high school, I would be...ahhh who knows. If you have any questions from the Republic, I would be glad to help you out, so don't be afraid to ask.

You are right on the quality of this forum--it is better than that I have seen elsewhere. I am glad that you have decided to join us, and I look forward to your future contributions from you young inquisitive mind.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:15 am
@Theaetetus,
Like Theaetetus and yourself, I began reading philosophy in high school. We've got a great community here, and I'm happy you have decided to join.

Welcome to the forums!

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:51 am
@Desiderus,
From afar over great, and towering peaks, an ocean wide, and even more great towering peaks, I brush aside the lingering chill of a winter which yet has its roots deeply set in our souls, to wish you a warm and friendly welcome !

While being extremely new myself, even, I reckoned it would be no barrier to my being able to welcome even newer, new-comers, so . . .

I look forward to reading your responses towards what you have read, and share ideas and thoughts as well. Much like yourself, I am weak at philosophy as well; but hold learning to of such a great matter, that it doesn't bother me to not know so much at the moment.

Have fun, and enjoy ! Catch you 'round !!

KJ

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:08:22