Hello everyone!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:38 am
Hi guys,

After a short break from philosophy, I have decided to come back to it for more in depth studies. The forum seems like an excellent learning tool as well. At the moment, I am reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy and Voltaire's Candide. After rereading about many of the branches of philosophy, Metaphysics and Epistemology are the ones that most interest me. So, I was wondering what I should read and learn first?

Thanks for your time,
Steven

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:26 pm
@Steven8o8o,
Welcome to the forums Steve! This forum acts as a nice learning tool as long as it is used properly. As to what to read, it depends on interests and the time frame you enjoy most. If epistemology is your thing, I highly recommend starting with Plato's dialogue the Meno. As to metaphysics, I have not read much, but I think the Phaedo by Plato would be a good place to start. A philosopher once said that all of Western philosophy is footnotes to Plato so that is always a good place to begin. I also recommend Kant, but I would never recommend that anyone begin philosophical reading with his dense works without a larger background in philosophy.

Icon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:57 am
@Steven8o8o,
Welcome to the forum.

Look around, post often and do try to have some fun. There are many people here with some interesting and unique ideas so do not be afraid to probe them and get the most out of everything this forum and its members have to offer.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:26:50