Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:24 pm
Hi, everyone. I don't know why it's taken me this long to reach out to a community like this, but here I am! Since losing my job a few weeks ago I've had a lot of spare time on my hands.. part of which I've used to get back into meditation and do some serious contemplating about, well, life. My past four years have been spent in a traditional education setting, and one of the only fields I haven't looked into was philosophy. After having some "alone time" with my brain, I realized there was more I wanted to learn and think about than what my assigned textbooks had to teach me.

This is a really exciting time for me.. I'm beginning to think about concepts I've never really thought about before: reality, consciousness, knowledge, ethics, instinct, etc.. And as fun as it is just to think, at times it's overwhelming and lonely. Very few of my friends enjoy intense, mentally stimulating discussion or debate. So I'm here, and I'm looking forward to learning, relating, and exploring with all of you!

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:50 am
@patchouli phil,
So how's the job search going? ... because philosophy without employment and savings is never a good thing.

patchouli phil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 02:23 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
So how's the job search going? ... because philosophy without employment and savings is never a good thing.

Nice to meet you.
Not so great. My area's job market is grim as most are right now. But I've been applying anywhere and everywhere.. no use in being picky when there are bills to pay.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 02:57 am
@patchouli phil,
You'll find that intense, intellectual conversation here, pathouli. Welcome and I look forward to your contribution!

patchouli phil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:05 am
@Zetherin,
Thank you, Zetherin! This is an exciting place to be.

Justin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:33 am
@patchouli phil,
Welcome patchouli! There are a lot of folks losing their jobs lately and things around the world are definitely changing. This is going to be a wake-up call to a great many of us. Needless to say, great having you here and please do make yourself at home.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:01 pm
@patchouli phil,
Welcome to the forum patchouli! If you enjoy intellectual conversation about life, the universe, and everything you have come to the right place. I look forward to your contribution and future dialogue.

patchouli phil

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:09 am
@patchouli phil,
Thank you, both! Smile

I've been reading a lot of threads, but I'm still a little shy to jump in.. not sure why.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 08:02:52