Hello.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Sufjams

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:09 am
Hello,

My name is Jack, (or Sufjams.) I've registered here in hopes of finding intelligent discussion, information on books, and a place to share my ideas and readings.

I am 19, and intend to obtain degrees in classical philosophy and English or journalism. Some of my favorite philosophers (and note that just because I list a writer as my favorite, I do so probably becuase I find them interesting, and not becuase I necessarily identify with their writing,) are, Hume, Locke, Kant, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard. I am about to begin reading Sartre and Diderot.

My hobbies are reading, writing and music. I love classical literature and philosophy, as well as poetry and short stories. I'm an avid debater, and feel that even a lifetime of studies will ultimately be in partial vain if it's fruits can't be shared with others.

I am an atheist/humanist, very secular, and a Liberal/Conservative with Liberal/Conservative tendancies, lol. I agree with the liberal philosophy, in that I value and champion human freedom above all things. At the same time, however, I am frequently put off by the egocentricism this philosophy nurtures in people who aren't intelligent or objective enough to really even value it. In that sense, I also empathize with Conservatives and their practicality. I cannot, however, look at the social positions of Conservatives/Republicans, and say that I align myself with them and still feel like a decent human being.

I'm too young to completely agree with any political/social worldview. Really, I think most people are, despite their age. I don't pretend to know that anything is 100% correct. Do you know what I mean by all that?

My goal in life is to attain something that others might one day call wisdom. I pride myself in rationally and empathetically understanding different dispositions.

That's about it. I'll be happy to answer any questions, and I can't wait to get involved in the forum.

I have a question that maybe someone can answer right off the bat, haha. Lately I've been looking for sort of a grand book discussing the advent of feminism in American/Western culture, and its effects on society, perhaps in comparison to altruism and Christianity. I think it has certainly shaped the way many of us think. Is this for the better, or worse? I don't know yet.

Anyway, thanks all.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:54 am
@Sufjams,
Feminist Thought by Rosmarie Putnam Tong. It covers a very wide range of the branches of feminism from liberal feminism and radical feminism to existentialist and post modern feminism. Of particular note is the existentialist section because it has a great deal to do with Sartre's (which you noted that you have started reading) Being and Nothingness and a very interesting juxtaposition from Simone de Beauvoir. It is a very

William

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:22 am
@Sufjams,
Sufjams wrote:

I have a question that maybe someone can answer right off the bat, haha. Lately I've been looking for sort of a grand book discussing the advent of feminism in American/Western culture, and its effects on society, perhaps in comparison to altruism and Christianity. I think it has certainly shaped the way many of us think. Is this for the better, or worse? I don't know yet.

Anyway, thanks all.

What you ask is indeed an important question. Let me ask you a question. Considering the finite harmony in which nature operates, how do you equate feminism with that harmony? I am not talking about equality in the work place, I am talking about feminism's hatred of men. What do you think it offers as far as positive, forward momentum of mankind?
And by the way, welcome to the forum, glad to your aboard.
Thanks,

William

Sufjams

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Thank you for the warm welcome. It makes me more eager to get involved with discussion on the forum.

You know, I've actually been recommended Berkeley before, based on my interests. I've read of his work, but haven't actually looked at it first hand. Do you think Treatise is a good place to begin? I'm heading into town today, and I need to make a list of books, including, as I've said, something by Diderot and Sartre. Do you have any recommendations on them?

On principle, I'm against the factionalization of government as well. At the same time, however, I kind of fear becoming some armchair intellectual who has no part in the world around him, when he may have the potential to nudge it in a positive direction. I have to play with the cards that were dealt to me, you know? I don't know much about Moore. Maybe he's worth a read.

I've read about different types of Indian metaphysics and religions. I think the symbolism they, and particularly Buddhism, carry is beautiful. Though I respect the positions, one day I hope to be wise enough to give myself more definition. I say that one day I want to attain wisdom, and by that, I mean that one day I hope to do more than reflect. I'm not sure exactly.. what I mean by wisdom, or where I'll find it, but I feel that obtaining a broad exposure to the great minds of the world will help me get there. Philosophy is one of the studies I use to that end.

I'll look into that book on feminism. I want a book that is slightly critical, not of equal rights but, of feministic values and their influence on western culture. I kind of hoped to find something that analyzed the issue the way Neitzsche analyzed altruism/Christianity and its effects on his society. That's a vague description, but, you know, something of the like.

Thanks again!

William

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:22 am
@Sufjams,
Sufjams wrote:
Thank you for the warm welcome. It makes me more eager to get involved with discussion on the forum.

You know, I've actually been recommended Berkeley before, based on my interests. I've read of his work, but haven't actually looked at it first hand. Do you think Treatise is a good place to begin? I'm heading into town today, and I need to make a list of books, including, as I've said, something by Diderot and Sartre. Do you have any recommendations on them?

On principle, I'm against the factionalization of government as well. At the same time, however, I kind of fear becoming some armchair intellectual who has no part in the world around him, when he may have the potential to nudge it in a positive direction. I have to play with the cards that were dealt to me, you know? I don't know much about Moore. Maybe he's worth a read.

I've read about different types of Indian metaphysics and religions. I think the symbolism they, and particularly Buddhism, carry is beautiful. Though I respect the positions, one day I hope to be wise enough to give myself more definition. I say that one day I want to attain wisdom, and by that, I mean that one day I hope to do more than reflect. I'm not sure exactly.. what I mean by wisdom, or where I'll find it, but I feel that obtaining a broad exposure to the great minds of the world will help me get there. Philosophy is one of the studies I use to that end.

I'll look into that book on feminism. I want a book that is slightly critical, not of equal rights but, of feministic values and their influence on western culture. I kind of hoped to find something that analyzed the issue the way Neitzsche analyzed altruism/Christianity and its effects on his society. That's a vague description, but, you know, something of the like.

Thanks again!

Let me congratulate you on your writing and communication skills. And you punctuate too. Damn. Ha. Where ever your life leads you will have the skills to be more than reflective. IMO.:a-ok:

William

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:41 am
@Sufjams,
Berkeley has always been the more abstract of the empiricists, so you would definitely be in for a treat when you read him. However, in order to really get into Berkeley and the suppositions he maintains, you have to read it after Locke's Essay Concerning Human UnderstandingPrinciples of Human Knowledge first to get the basic gist of his metaphysical doctrines. Then when you get acquainted with that, you have to read Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous. It is a very entertaining elaboration on Principles. Also, I found that select readings from On MotionA History of Philosophy by Frederick Copleston. This is basically a companion reader for when you read the official translated texts. I found it invaluable many times over. I know volume 4 and 5 would be useful to you for Berkeley and the rationalists and empiricists. The series is not expensive at all compared to other compendiums.

Also, and I can see that you are astute with philosophical study from your selections and responses; I should also recommend A Guide for the Perplexed series. I have around nine in this series and I have used each one many times. Usually when you become familiar with a text and read the companion readers (like Copleston) , I usually become wanting for individual perspectives for different ways to translate the same thing. A Guide for the PerplexedClassical Indian Philosophy by Jihindranath Mohanty (book sellers abbreviate his name as J.N. Mohanty. It is the definitive book on Vedic, Anti-Vedicism, naturalistic, and skeptical doctrines in Indian philosophy. But by luck (inadvertently because I did not know at the time) I took his last class on Indian metaphysics before he withdrew to soak up the benefits of his tenure. His book is easy to read and vastly knowledgeable for a book so short (153 pages).

The feminism book is very critical, so believe me you will not be disappointed. But I think you would also have luck looking for short articles. Those tend to be the most impactful and hard hitting than the books ever get around at. One of my favorites is How Words Hurt

Sufjams

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
@William,
William;42598 wrote:
What you ask is indeed an important question. Let me ask you a question. Considering the finite harmony in which nature operates, how do you equate feminism with that harmony? I am not talking about equality in the work place, I am talking about feminism's hatred of men. What do you think it offers as far as positive, forward momentum of mankind?
And by the way, welcome to the forum, glad to your aboard.
Thanks,

William

Well, when I asked for the book suggestion, I didn't do so based on interest in a natural, sort of evolutionary take on the subject, so much as a social one.

But to answer your question, when you hear women mentioning things like human parthenogenesis, lol, feminism is obviously counterproductive to us as a species. But is that ever going to happen, or become common place? I doubt it.

Otherwise, I greatly sympathize with the movement, because I feel that all human beings should be given the same opportunity to actualize themselves, intellectually or otherwise. For a great while, women were quite hindered in accomplishing these things.

Though now the feminist movement has achieved much of what it originally set out to do, if becoming a modern, free thinking individual is the goal, I feel that women still have everything going against them - Nature, society, and themselves.

Evolution says women should support men and nurture offspring, and society tends to agree. Young girls play house, with babies, and we pat them on the back for it. I see so few women with real character, that I have to wonder what has occupied their life so to cause that. My opinion is reminiscent of what Schopenhauer wrote in On Women, but I'm not so mean as he is, haha.

Anyway, though I respect equal rights, the quest to achieve them has left its mark on society, and that is the idea I want to explore. I feel that the majority of our country now values things such as sensitivity over truth, and commitment over individuality. These are traits that have been evolutionarily vital to women, but at the same time may be responsible for the lack of character I tend to see in the sex. I still kind of think of this in the same way as Nietzsche talked about altruism and Christianity, though I still have research to do.

Sufjams

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:19 am
@William,
William;42604 wrote:
Let me congratulate you on your writing and communication skills. And you punctuate too. Damn. Ha. Where ever your life leads you will have the skills to be more than reflective. IMO.:a-ok:

William

Thank you. That's very kind of you to say.

I hope the rest of the PF user base is as eloquent as what I've seen in this mere introduction thread. If it is, this could be a very refreshing community.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:30 am
@Sufjams,
Welcome to the forum Sufjams. As many have observed before you, this is a very refreshing community. While many on the forums are not as eloquent as the fine participants in this mere introduction thread, all are bound together by the desire to share and debate ideas, but to do so in a courteous manner. From the looks of it you will make a fine addition to this community. Enjoy your stay!

Sufjams

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:28 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;42608 wrote:
Berkeley has always been the more abstract of the empiricists, so you would definitely be in for a treat when you read him. However, in order to really get into Berkeley and the suppositions he maintains, you have to read it after Locke's Essay Concerning Human UnderstandingPrinciples of Human Knowledge first to get the basic gist of his metaphysical doctrines. Then when you get acquainted with that, you have to read Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous. It is a very entertaining elaboration on Principles. Also, I found that select readings from On MotionA History of Philosophy by Frederick Copleston. This is basically a companion reader for when you read the official translated texts. I found it invaluable many times over. I know volume 4 and 5 would be useful to you for Berkeley and the rationalists and empiricists. The series is not expensive at all compared to other compendiums.

Also, and I can see that you are astute with philosophical study from your selections and responses; I should also recommend A Guide for the Perplexed series. I have around nine in this series and I have used each one many times. Usually when you become familiar with a text and read the companion readers (like Copleston) , I usually become wanting for individual perspectives for different ways to translate the same thing. A Guide for the Perplexed

I really appreciate your suggestions. They seem very solid.

I think if my studies have any one, major flaw, it would have to be that I haven't read in as chronological a method as would have been best. For the most part, I've simply chosen authors who I felt were the most interesting, or engaging, and gone from there. Though I think I've filled myself in on a lot of the misconceptions I've had, I could certainly benefit from a reading path like the one you've recommended.

I particularly enjoy studying the relationships between different philosophers, and the effects they had on one another. I must admit, though, that I haven't done as much of this as I probably should have. For that reason, this will be fun.

I hope my library has some of the resources you've suggested. I'm not in a position right now to throw down for one or more sets of companion readers.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:35 am
@Sufjams,
Sufjams wrote:

I think if my studies have any one, major flaw, it would have to be that I haven't read in as chronological a method as I would have liked. For the most part, I've simply chosen authors who I felt were the most interesting, or engaging, and gone from there. Though I think I've filled in a lot of the pot holes I've found in the particular things I've read, I could certainly benefit from a reading path like the one you've recommended.

That is the way to study. Let the information come to you in a way that is led by curiosity. Read what you find interesting, because that is the learning that sticks with you for a life time. What you do not find interesting pick up the basics in a history of philosophy class. There are too many good books out there to read that people shouldn't waste their time reading the bad ones. Not to mention, by doing this you end up arguing with good ideas rather than against bad ideas. The perfect reading path is the one that you chose...and well the one's your teachers chose based on your class choices.

William

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:48 am
@Theaetetus,
Sufjams,
It would be interesting what your conclusions are as I am not at war with feminist who for what ever reason do not fit the "to be a Mom" definitions, but to the extent they have declared war on those who chose to be wife, mate, nurturer and Mother to their young, I am, to put it mildly, upset. Of course being a man, I do have to choose my words carefully in this day and age of "politically correct" speech in which no words, even those that might even offend a rattlesnake, be used. Ha. Oh, and for the record if it is your desire to become wise, you "must" open the door and bid the ego adieu. Good luck. :a-ok:
William

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:45:42