Hello everyone!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jvall92

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:54 pm
greetings!
im new to this site, obviously, (haha) as well as to philosophy in general. my cousin is taking a philosophy class in college, and he was talking about it over christmas and i was immediately interested.
im just here to observe and learn, and hopefully eventually be able to contribute to your discussions.
if anyone has any insight, or maybe a quick basic intoductory to philosophy they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Very Happy

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm
@jvall92,
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Bertrand Russell's Problems of Philosophy is a great introduction to some of the recurring questions of philosophy.

TaraD

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:22 pm
@jvall92,
Hello Smile and welcome

jgweed

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:43 am
@jvall92,
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." writes Russell. I would certainly consider reading his History of Philosophy, which is not only well-written and witty, but will introduce you to the great philosophers and the ever self-renewing problems in philosophic thinking.

Philosophy begins in wonder, or confusion, or a critical glance at something that everyone commonly accepts as true or just. It employs reason, analysis, and careful argumentation to clarify its subjects. The best way to learn philosophy is to attempt to do it, and Philforum is a great place to make a start.
Welcome!
John

jvall92

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@jvall92,
ok i will definately check out those.
thanks to all who contributed.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:34:03