infinite bliss to you

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » infinite bliss to you

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 06:26 pm
Hi my name is Sean Henderson. I'm a philosophy student and proponent of Abolitionism. Most of my writing and odd opinions can be found at the Abolitionist Society founded by David Pearce, Pablo Stafforini, J-me Savage, and myself.

Justin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
@Abolitionist,
Warm welcome to the Philosophy Forum Sean. Please accept my apologies for the Infinite Bliss post as I did not realize that was originally posted as your initial introduction. Thanks for registering and hope you enjoy the community.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@Justin,
Welcome to the forums.

Aedes

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@Abolitionist,
Welcome to the forum and I look forward to your ideas.

Abolitionist;41116 wrote:
I'm a philosophy student and proponent of Abolitionism.
What are you trying to abolish? That term has been used before -- why have you chosen to appropriate it to an unrelated movement?

Abolitionist

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Welcome to the forum and I look forward to your ideas.

What are you trying to abolish? That term has been used before -- why have you chosen to appropriate it to an unrelated movement?

Abolitionism used to describe the abolition of suffering was a term used by Mancini in the 80's. By definition it can mean any attempt to abolish something that should not exist.

I think of suffering as genetic slavery or slavery to darwinian design.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:02 pm
@Abolitionist,
How can you be a slave to nature? Or, better yet, how can something not be a slave to nature?

Justin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:03 pm
@Abolitionist,
Hey guys, this is an introduction thread. Let's not carry out discussion here. Smile

Aedes

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:05 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41320 wrote:
I think of suffering as genetic slavery
Since we are partly defined by our genes, you are synonymizing suffering with humanity. Secondly, you exclude suffering that arises from acquired things.

I mean if I have a mild genetic disease, like mild cystic fibrosis, but I get hit by a car, then my suffering really has little to do with genetic slavery (whatever that means anyway).

Quote:
or slavery to darwinian design
Darwin didn't design us... there were immense things that Darwin didn't know about, describe, or understand, one of which is the gene.

Very strange stuff... :listening:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » infinite bliss to you
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:06:26