Hello Everyone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TaraD

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:49 am
Hello all
I am new to this forum actually found it on craigslist. I am currently studying philosophy this semester I am taking Philosophy of religion and logic. I'm a little nervous about logic, but also excited. Looking forward to having many great discussions with all of you soon J

jgweed

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
@TaraD,
I trust you are actually taking two separate courses! Logic can be difficult at first (speaking from experience) but if you "do the problems" it will become much easier. Think of studying geometry, and how you learned best by actually working through the proofs. There are some good posts in the Logic forum that might help you through some of the more difficult concepts.
Welcome to Philforum!
Cheers,
John

TaraD

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 08:48 am
@jgweed,
They are two courses Smile Thank you for welcoming me and advice

jgweed

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 08:55 am
@TaraD,
Since there are a few Members here well-versed in various kinds of logic, you also have people who can answer specific questions if you cannot successfully work through them on your own.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:34 am
@TaraD,
Welcome to the forums. Hope to see your additions to the discussions in the future.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
@TaraD,
Welcome TaraD!

Propositional logic seems scary at first, but when you understand the fundamentals it is not really that bad. It was honestly one of my least favorite subjects until I got the hang of it. Its actually kinda fun... like Sudoku but not! For that matter, was Sudoku any fun to begin with? LOL!

But like jgweed said, there are quite a few people here who can help you out with logic stuff. One thing I can remember when I took introduction to logic was that before the tests, the teacher would give out sample proofs that were way more difficult than on the test to show but revealed what inference or replacement rule they favored most (at least as I have come to believe). This information is very valuable to take into a test becuase it gives you specific rules to look. For example, my instructor was nuts over DeMorgans, so just engineering the proof to form a DeMorgan saves a load of time if your stuck in a jam. So if you have any questions, post in the "Logic" section or even the "Philosophy 101" for help. We are all happy to help you out.

Also, If you are a prospective law school student, find out if the philosophy department offers a predicate logic class. Its very useful for the LSAT. Predicate logic follows directly from propositional, but you have to take the higher level propositional logic (at least that hows it was at my school). So make sure you have that if you want to take logic beyond propositional.
Philosophy of Religion is always an enjoyable class. Most Phil. of Religion classes tend to center on eastern philosophy (Buddhist, Muslim) and a good deal on old testament material.

So good luck in your studies and if you have any questions or anything like that, give me a ring (or the computer equivalent). We are all happy to help

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:44:46