About Majic

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Majic

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:22 pm
I'm a retired school teacher. Before that I was a meteorological technician working for the Federal Government. I enjoy entertaining people with my magic shows. I teach Outdoor Education on a contract basis. My specialty is survival in the wilderness without any equipment - Nature provides all that is needed.
I will be bringing an alternative view to philosophy because I have written a book on reincarnation. Let's have fun.
Majic

jgweed

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:23 pm
@Majic,
Welcome to the Philosophy Forum!
Regards,
John

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 08:11 pm
@jgweed,
A book on reincarnation. Interesting.

Glad to have you on the forums.

MJA

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:16 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Dear Mr. Majic,

Welcome to the forum and I need your help already. What book would you recomend for survival in the wilderness. I saw the movie about the man who died in Alaska, sorry I don't recall the name, and I think I would eat the wrong berries too? Maybe I already have!

=
MJA

Majic

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:36 am
@MJA,
Tom Brown Jr. Lives in New Jersey. I have taken a couple of courses with him and read his 15 or so books. They are beautiful books, laced with Native philosophy and practical survival methods. Search for Tom Brown Jr. and/or the Tracker on the net and you'll find a list of his books. The basic one is titled, Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival, published by Berkley Publishing Corporation.
Majic

MJA

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:15 am
@Majic,
I'll go there Mr. Majic, sometime ago Michelangelo told me to go to nature to find the truth, and so wonderfully and beautifully I did.
I just want to stay there now, in nature in truth is truth.
Thanks for your help indeed!

=
MJA

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:16 am
@Majic,
Welcome Majic!

Many good discussions here, so I hope you enjoy the forum.

By the way... I have had this conversation before and it could not be settled. I dont know if you have seen the discovery channels survivor shows or not, but who is better? Survivor Man or Man vs. Wild?

Majic

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I have watched several episodes of Surviver Man on TV, but I haven't seen Man vs. Wild. I met Les Stroud before he became Surviver Man. He lived near me in Northern Ontario. I first met him as a musician, and then found out he took a couple of courses with Tom Brown, like I did. I admire him for his ambition in creating the show. His methods are good. (Although I think I can start a fire with a bow drill better than he can Smile )
Majic

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:46 am
@Majic,
I have to say that survivor man is my favorite. Man vs. wild seems to be more of a gross factor... kinda like a guy who is dared to eat that nasty bug in the corner and actually does it. Survivor man at least goes out alone (from what I am aware) and does more practical things. I am dying to try out the A-frame shelter Les Shroud did... actually looked comfortable. On the note of shelters, you have to check this out...

Grand Shelters ICEBOX - Igloo, winter camping tool

Its an igloo maker. I saw it and said "i need this." I found this on a list of "must have winter items" list next to an automatic snowball cannon and extreme snow sled. As you can probably guess... I am not a survivor man.

Majic

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 01:13 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
The A-frame shelter you mentioned is also called a debris hut. I have built literally hundreds of them (many with students while teaching). They are easy to make and cozy and warm to sleep in. Tom Brown details them in his book.
The ICEBOX seems like a neat invention, but in a survival situation most people would not have the equipment. The Inuits have lived for thousands of years in igloos. They are successful because of the strong winds on the tundra. The snow is strongly paced.
Instead of a snow cave as mention in the website, it is best to build a Quintze hut. However it is a lot of work. You have to pile the snow first and let it settle. Place sticks in the snow mound about a foot or so long. Start digging out the inside using the stick as markers when to stop, to make the walls about a foot thick.
In our society, survival in the wilderness isn't that important anymore. I find it an interesting hobby and a challenge to be able to live like the first people of our country.
Majic

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:17 pm
@Majic,
Survivor Man owns Man vs. Wild. No contest.

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, camping and all that. Having the confidence to set off into the wilderness with only the most basic tools is a liberating feeling for me.

Majic

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 05:06 pm
@Majic,
Liberating for me to. That is why I do it and teach it.
Majic

Joe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 05:51 pm
@Majic,
wow, you bring in interesting perspective. Welcome to the forum.

my buddy and I had to sleep out in the woods for three days when i was in boy scouts. we weren't allowed anything but water and pocket knives. We didn't know anything yet, but we built what you called the A-frame shelter and it helped. I think that people have a natural instinct to do these things. But its great you teach these things. It would be hard not to panic when your in a real survival situation.

Joe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Survivor Man owns Man vs. Wild. No contest.

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, camping and all that. Having the confidence to set off into the wilderness with only the most basic tools is a liberating feeling for me.

I think The Survivor man has a video about him and his family moving of the grid. Its on youtube I think.

Pangloss

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 06:54 pm
@Majic,
Interesting, and good to have you here! Wilderness survival is also an interest of mine, though one that I have not yet explored to the extent that I would like...first I need to make the long trip to the "wilderness" from where it is I live. I have read a bit of Tom Brown's teachings, as well as some other books, and was planning to take one of his courses at some point. Maybe I will ask you a couple questions on that in the future, if you don't mind.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 03:23:19