Viva Ortega

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:36 am
http://idd00qaa.eresmas.net/ortega/bibliografias/bibliografia.htm[/COLOR] . A few years ago I began a bibliography of works in English by Ortega, which can be found at http://www.geocities.com/longknowledge/ortegaygasset.html[/COLOR]. Currently I am working on a content analysis of Ortega's work Man and Crisis as well as preparing a List of Types of Crises for Wikipedia.

jgweed

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:02 am
@longknowledge,
Ortega is one of the most underrated philosophers of his century, and is unfortunately seldom read. If you would not mind, could you post these links (perhaps with a short comment or two) in the Ortega Forum?
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Philforums.
Regards,
John

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:08 am
@longknowledge,
Ortega is definitely one of my favorite thinkers in human history. Glad to see a new member that shares my enthusiasm for the works of the great Jose Ortega y Gasset.

longknowledge

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:34 pm
@jgweed,
It will be done.

longknowledge

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:51 pm
@longknowledge,
How do you like my new avatar - me?!

jeeprs

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:50 am
@longknowledge,
Hey there you are. I should go back and attach my pic now too .... Going to find time to read that History as a System essay in the next couple of days...

Leonard

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 05:11 pm
@longknowledge,
A warm welcome for you to the forum. That was bad grammar I just had, but anyway welcome.

longknowledge

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:03 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;107128 wrote:
A warm welcome for you to the forum. That was bad grammar I just had, but anyway welcome.

I've been with the Forum for over a year now, but thanks for the warm welcome anyway. I was just posting my avatar and much to my surprise it appear now on all my previous posts.

By the way, I had a "bad grammar" when I was a child, but I learned to live with her.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:11 pm
@longknowledge,
...traded her in for bad puns....

---------- Post added 12-03-2009 at 04:45 PM ----------

On a more serious note, in this essay History as a System, Ortega makes frequent reference to 'intellectualism and its Greek kalends'.

What might 'kalends' refer to? He uses the term a few times and I can't make head or tail of it. It doesn't seem to bear much relationship to the dictionary meaning.

longknowledge

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:41 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;107735 wrote:
...traded her in for bad puns....

Go ahead! I'm a glutton for pun-isment!

Quote:
On a more serious note, in this essay History as a System, Ortega makes frequent reference to 'intellectualism and its Greek kalends'.

What might 'kalends' refer to? He uses the term a few times and I can't make head or tail of it. It doesn't seem to bear much relationship to the dictionary meaning.

As you found out, the expression occurs in several places in that essay, as in the following sentence:

"Science has to solve its problems in the present, not transport us to the Greek Kalends."

The Latin expression "ad Graecas kalendas," "to the Greek kalends," was a humorous way of saying "Never!", since the Greek calendar did not have any "kalends" in their reckoning of time. "Kalends" refers to the first day of any month in the Roman calendar, and time was reckoned as so many days after the first day of the month; thus the fourth day of the month would be called "three days after the Kalend" of that month. Later in the month, they would use the middle day of the month, or the "Ides." This sort of system would be used to date documents, diary entries, etc. [Source: Wikipedia]

So Ortega was saying "Beware the Kalends of Science (and of intellectualism in general);" i.e., the tendency of science and intellectualism to put off to some indefinite time in the future any problems for which it had no methods at present for solving, while poo-pooing, if I'm allowed to say that, any "non-scientific" approach that might lead to a solution, even though that solution was not explainable by present knowledge.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:56 am
@longknowledge,
Aha! That explains it. Somewhat similar to the criticism (I can't remember by whom) of the 'promissory notes of materialism'. Thanks.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:19:50