Finally...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:10 pm
I've been reading and thinking so much about philosophy, especially of the mind and of science, lately. I've had nobody to discuss all of these ideas in my head with, and I'm so glad to have finally found a forum where I can really open my mind and let loose.

I'm Paul, and I am a senior in high school in Ohio. My school doesn't have any philosophy or psychology classes, so I just check out all the books I can find in my school library. In my opinion, it's much better than a class with a textbook.

I'm currently reading "Man is the Measure" by Reuben Abel. It's an introduction to metaphysics and epistemology, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. If you have any reading suggestions, let me know, and I will try to get a hold those books.

Thanks! And I look forward to learning from everyone here, and, hopefully, allowing everyone to learn from me as well.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:45 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure you will find a great many reading suggestions from the community. Any area in particular?

Also, this site has been helpful for me, and I know for many others as well. Maybe you will also find it helpful:
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

jgweed

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 04:44 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
The problem with just reading philosophy is that you don't have the opportunity to exercise the ideas or positions you have read about and to enjoy the give and take of discussion about them. In this sense, Philforum can act as a classroom, and provide a place to do philosophy.
Welcome!
John

jknilinux

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:38 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
Hi Lakeshoredrive! Welcome!

Another good site: The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - IEP

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:01:13