cabin in the woods

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » cabin in the woods

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

teacup

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:57 pm
I come to this place with a happy sigh of relief.
I have been craving an appropriate blog site for a while now, and finally did the research and found it.

I am a 22 year old female who will be graduating soon with a major in Psychology and a minor in Philosophy. My whole life I've known (and been told) I think too much. Sometimes this gets me in trouble. If you think about something long enough, you realize nothing makes sense. Depression helps this negative train of thought, so does mushrooms.

But usually, I am positive and powerful. I appreciate my mind and body and take care of it. Discussion gets me high and I never get enough of it. I have stumbled through the grapevine, and sustained many friendships through alcohol. I've had enough. I've chosen loneliness over superficial, boring, relationships. Now I am waiting to find someone I can have an intellectual, engaging discussion with.

It's 1am. Tonight I worked on a paper for my Phil of Science class. It's based off of Ruse's paper "Creation Science is not a science". I'm arguing now that the case of dark matter serves as an example that scientists are not tentative. They have created 'dark matter' to fit their assumptions. Similar to what happened with the phlogestin theory. I'm not exactly sure if my argument makes sense. Philosophy is new to me but I've enjoyed the challenge and have learned a lot.

Cheers. :deep-thought:

p.s.
what's the deal with 'tags' and 'tackback'
(I am a serious newbie to forums)

validity

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:31 am
@teacup,
Hello teacup Smile

Contratulations on change. I had a long conversation with a ex-colleague a couple of nights ago (sorry but over a few Hoegaarden) about the I-Ching. It would seem that your choice of loneliness over superficial and boring relationships, in the context of the I-Ching is a wise move. Things must always change. However, you must not stop changing, there will come a time when you must change from your newly found solitude, well that was the gist of the I-Ching.

I do not know if this will constitute intellectual or engaging, but dark matter is not something that is completely fabricated to fit assumptions. Dark matter, while not directly detectable by electromagnetic radiation (hence dark) it is detectable indirectly by its gravitational effect on nearby ordinary matter (the stuff that is detectable by electromagnetic radiation). What ever dark matter really is, it is not just an assumption.

jgweed

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:19 am
@teacup,
Welcome to the forum!
Cheers,
John

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:47 am
@teacup,
I wouldn't say that dark matter is created from assumptions, but rather created from currently unverifiable observations. Anyway, welcome to the forums.

teacup

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:33 pm
@teacup,
i suppose that's what i was going for: "currently unverifiable observations"
but it can be detected indirectly bc of it's gravitational influence on nearby matter...

the problem is, how is this more verifiable than indirectly detecting an unobservable god?

scientists predict that, based on their idea of dark matter, matter around it will behave a certain way. then it does behave that way. wala, science.

but the church predicts that, based on their idea of god, the world will look a certain way. and the world is that way. so i know the difference here is that with god, it's unfalsifiable.... but it's still not clicking.
i can't wrap my head around this... how can i prove one way or the other that unobservable dark matter is more 'valid' than an unobservable god.
maybe simply bc, even tho it's indirectly detected, there are empirical observations. whereas indirectly detecting god would be like... a person saying "im experiencing god right now". and that isn't the same type of empirical observation...

Vasska

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:02 pm
@teacup,
Welcome.

Seen nobody answered your post scriptum:

Tags are simple word you can apply to your post making them easier to find.
Just like tagging your spices in the kitchen. Tagging is mostly used in blogs, but found their ways to social networks and forums.

Using these tags you can group similar posts together or calculate what things are popular. If you go to the main page of this forum and scroll all the way down you will see a lot of random words in different sizes; it called a tagcloud. The bigger words are the most used ones, the smaller the less used. Clicking any tag gives you all the threads that have that particular tag.

Trackbacks are somewhat more sophisticated.

Lets say someone posted a blog that raised a lot of questions with you and you decided to ask them on this forum.

By filling in the link of the blog in the trackback field you send that blog a message like "Hey I posted something about your blogpost" which allows them to put you into a list of websites that said something about it.

Example: If you go to the Google blog and scroll down you'll see a list of "links" as google calls them that posted something regarding that blogpost.

The main idea is that people reading that blog can quickly see who else has posted something about it.

Hope this clears the confusion.

g3org3m

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:13 am
@Vasska,
Hey teacup. Welcome! Im new here too.

Im also a big thinker which has given me more problems then solutions Razz so i can relate. I cant say im extremely knowledgable yet... but i am intelligent and always up for learning so if you wanna chat about anything, just send me a PM for my email/msn Smile

MJA

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:22 am
@g3org3m,
Dear cabin in the woods,

I hope your cabin is on a pond and Thoreau is in your hand as well as in your mind, life couldn't be any more true or more wonderfully better than that.

=
MJA

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@teacup,
Hello Teacup,

Interesting first post. It's nice to see you jump aboard. I think you'll find all of the conversation you can handle in this place. Similarly to you, I have been told that I think too much from the day I said my first complete sentence. I am still told this today and finally come to realize that this is a sort of underhanded compliment. Those who tell you this are more jealous than disgruntled by your ability to parse, file and reuse information. My general response is simply to smile and say thank you.

I like the idea of tackling Creation science but I am not sure that I 100% agree with your theory of dark matter. Still, one can never really be sure of anything so I say explore it to the fullest but don't stop half way if you don't find the answer easily.

Anywho, welcome to the forum and do enjoy yourself.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:43 pm
@Icon,
Welcome to the forums.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » cabin in the woods
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.67 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:42:12