Hey There

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:48 pm
Hi i'm Niall: a A2 philosophy student from the UK7 aged 17 and applying for philosophy at university (currently have one offer from Reading)

Used to be on other philosophy forum with almost identical name but after several posts claiming my language was not sophisticated enough (though I wrote in a consise and clear manner) and eventually got bored of them.

...PS relating to the above point I think that's one of the main problems with, not of, philosophy. Many new people to the subject are put off by the complex lexis and sometimes it appears the language is merely used to elevate weak or simple ideas.

Anyway, see ya around :bigsmile:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:47 pm
@UnMechanics,
Welcome to the forums. Always good to have students.

jgweed

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:59 am
@UnMechanics,
It is always far more important to write (and, of course) to think in a concise and clear manner than to be able to manipulate the more technical words allied with philosophical thinking. At some time, of course, as your studies progress these words will become second-nature to you, and you may begin to learn the terminology here as you join in the many dialogues already in progress or initiate your own by starting threads yourself.

I think the general problem in forums (and this is not confined to forums) arises when people use (or in this case mis-use) philosophical terms in common ways, or common words instead of more accurate philosophical terms, or use words in a completely different and unique sense.
Welcome to the Philforum!
Regards,
John

RDanneskjld

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:07 pm
@jgweed,
It's great too see another member from the UK doing Philosophy at University! I have also recieved an offer from Reading to do Philosophy! Where else have you applied, if you dont mind me asking??

See you around

UnMechanics

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 01:38 pm
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld;36901 wrote:
It's great too see another member from the UK doing Philosophy at University! I have also recieved an offer from Reading to do Philosophy! Where else have you applied, if you dont mind me asking??

See you around

Thanks for the welcomes everyone...

I've also applied for KCL, Bristol, Southampton and Exeter. I've heard nothing from them

RDanneskjld

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 01:44 pm
@UnMechanics,
I've applied for Bristol, Southampton, Reading, Cardiff and Leeds.
I have only heard from Reading who gave me an offer of 300 Points and from Southampton who I have an interview with.

Best wishes on getting the place you want.

Rose phil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:19 pm
@UnMechanics,
Welcome to Philforum!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:46:35