New member introduction

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » New member introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:53 pm
Hi,

Well, Here I am. I'm currently very interested in philosophy, esp. ethics, causality, Consciousness, Identity, the Liar, and God. Also, I love the idea of cellular automata-based digital physics.

I guess I'll share my (current) opinions:

1: Ethics- Everything is ethical, so nothing is ethical.

2: Causality- we only think it exists because of induction...

3: Consciousness- a result of an entity applying language to communicate with itself.

4: Identity- Entirely a result of memories.

5: The Liar- Solution: Logic is incomplete/inconsistent.

6: God- We cannot know for sure whether he is or not, but if atheism/nihilism is right, (by the way I think atheism is the same as nihilism), why care about "wasting" your time in the first place? Then there's always pascal's wager to worry about...

Anyway, my current opinions in a nutshell. Subject to change extremely frequently. Also, I'm kinda new to "professional" philosophy, so sorry if I ever completely misunderstand something.

By the way, if we have a statement x defined as "x=>y", then can't we prove any statement y in first-order logic?

If we assume !x, then we get !(x=>y), so x*!y, so x*!x, so from IP we get !!x, so x, and since x=>y, we get y... Bizarre... y could be anything...

Anyway, TTYL8R

jgweed

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
@jknilinux,
Welcome to the Philforum. Hopefully you will have a chance to elaborate on your six "current" opinions in the appropriate threads and discussions. You may find reason to change some of them, or to modify others, or to reconfirm still others.
Regards,
John

boagie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:03 pm
@jgweed,
jknilinux,Smile

Welcome aboard the good ship philosophy forum, make yourself at home. Think about that first post in response to something which catches your interest. You cannot post a new topic until you have a few response posts under your belt. Again Welcome, we are most pleased to have you as a member of this community!! boagie

TickTockMan

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:16 pm
@boagie,
Yes indeed, jknilinux.
Welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on causality.
Regards,
Tock

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:35 am
@jknilinux,
Welcome to the forums. Looking forward to reading anything you have to say on anything. Now hurry and get to work.... Sorry. Trying to make this statement more interesting that it ever could be.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:39 am
@Theaetetus,
Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you with us.

Khethil

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:20 am
@jknilinux,
jknilinux wrote:
1: Ethics- Everything is ethical, so nothing is ethical.

Ow, ow ow! Noooo!!!! *running around tearing at my hair*

Just kidding... Glad to have ya, make yourself at home Smile

sarek

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:53 pm
@jknilinux,
Everything is Nothing so statement 1 is completely correct, isn't it?

Welcome to the forum jknilinux.

jknilinux

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:14 am
@sarek,
Thanks for all the welcomes! It's good to be here. Just got something out of the way so I'll post more regularly now...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » New member introduction
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:17:09